1. Moderation is a fatal thing. . . . Nothing succeeds like excess.
2. Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
3. Woman begins by resisting a man's advances and ends by blocking his retreat.
4. Men always want to be a woman's first love. Women like to be a man's last romance.
5. The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
6. Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
7. One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.
8. If man was meant to be nude, he would have been born that way.
9. Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.
10. A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.
11. A man can't be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
12. A pessimist is one who, when he has a choice of two evils, chooses both.
13. The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
14. Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
15. Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.
16. True friends stab you in the front.
17. The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never any use to oneself.
18. I am not young enough to know everything.
19. I love acting. It is so much more real than life.
20. I sometimes think that God in creating man somewhat overestimated his ability.
21. In America, the President reigns for four years, and journalism governs for ever and ever.
22. It is better to be beautiful than to be good. But it is better to be good than to be ugly.
23. The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple.
24. One should never trust a woman who tells her real age. If she tells that, she'll tell anything.
25. To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.
26. The play was a great success, but the audience was a disaster.
27. The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius.
28. The well-bred contradict other people. The wise contradict themselves.
29. To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune... to lose both seems like carelessness.