DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Songs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:08 pm 

Location: stabbing any blogging faggot hipster with a pitchfork
I wanna try this out, but I'm probably not gonna update it often. I'm thinking about posting a song, or a couple songs, I'm digging a lot that day, and sharing some hopefully pretty different artists in the process.

First one is from The Magnetic Fields' first album, Distant Plastic Trees. This song is one I'll probably elaborate more on in the future, but its been non stop on rotation for awhile now since I've reheard it with the whole album. The lyrics display this genuinely heart sinking, stomach churning uncertainty of the dangers of relationships. It won't leave your head for awhile after hearing it, either in its message or its music. I really dig the vocals on this song, they're a little overbearing, but look at the subject matter. This was probably the first definite sign that Merritt was a songwriting genius. I know that many Magnetic Fields fans point to as a classic in the band's catalogue, and in light of 69 Love Songs' giant presence in indie rock, it's always great to hear how these kinds of ambitious projects started so humbly. Everything sounds like its about to unravel, and the piano lines play almost as if they're trembling.

The Magnetic Fields - Distant Plastic Trees (1991)
~hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?jhzhyd5mytq

Post subject: Re: Songs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:55 pm 

Good post. Good album. They certainly got a lot right from the very beginning.

The song loses something when Stephin sings it; his sarcasm, usually adding a new layer of meaning to his lyrics, clashes with them here and comes across as defensive. Anway just throws herself into it headfirst and holds nothing back. I know what you mean about "unraveling" — every so often the song's momentum slows or shifts and she drops in another confession. Maybe they hadn't quite found their footing, but there's a lot more variance in song structure on those first two albums than on any to follow. The last three verses are especially painful, startling, and relevant (to me personally). Easy to see why people still talk about this one.

Falling in Love with the Wolfboy is on the same level, and Smoke Signals isn't far off. Wayward Bus has a hell of an opening run in the first five or six tracks. Anway also sang a beautiful straight-up country version of Plant White Roses that sounds nothing like her work on WB/DPT except in its honesty and commitment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:24 pm 

Yeah I thought about who's voice I prefer (between Anway and Gonson), and I think they're both equal for me. Merritt only gets the best bitches.

This next song is one that I got into more recently. These guys have been a major influence on a lot of alternative rock artists. Off the top of my head, Deerhoof have covered this song with Marder on stage, and Kim Gordon was a huge fan of them. There's an energy and passion in this song that masks the creepiness of the lyrics so perfectly. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up whistling it all day or sang along, because this is undeniably catchy post-punk similar to a lot of what was going on at the time with bands like The Slits, who were fans of these guys. The influence oozes off of this song from every aspect, the underlying weirdness of the lyrics, matched with the overly catchy guitar chords, and that epic whistle that gets thrown into the song every bar or so. This song is a lot of fun, and most of their stuff is just as good.

Liliput - Kleenex/Liliput (1993)
~hxxp://www.filestube.com/a411de40396d3c1503ea,g/kleenex-liliput-disc-1.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:50 pm 

Love it. That escalating riff sounds straight out of Wave of Mutilation. Downloading the album now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:20 pm 

This song isn't really an obsession, in that I can't sit down and listen to it 50 times, but every time I return to it, I forget why it took me so long to listen to it again. "Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet" is a hallmark of minimalism, and possibly the roots of post-rock bands like GY!BE. It is also Tom Waits' favorite song of all time. I can't really explain why this particular song affects me so much more than most music. I think it has mostly to do with the pain in the voice of the hobo they sampled for it. He just sounds like he's living with decades of pain and anguish on this recording, and I can't imagine a more beautiful backing band to accompany it all.

Here's a version with Tom Waits actually on it, a duet:

The OG:

Gavin Bryars - The Sinking of the Titanic (1975)
~hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?yzddyzgdzjy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:39 pm 

This song is definitely an underground gem. One of the reasons East Coast just slays any other genre of hip hop, there's so many forgotten songs like this one out there. Smif-N-Wessun are a rap duo out of Brooklyn etc etc etc, "Buckshot" has one of the coolest beats you've never heard paired with some formidable MCs. The flow, the lyrics, the beat all come together to make this classic track. I can't really talk about it anymore, just grab the album if you like this song because these dudes are ridiculously under appreciated.

Smif-n-Wessun - Dah Shinin' (1995)
~hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?w02ebdhhk6jo0v5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:53 pm 

Superb song. Downloading the album.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:24 am 

Smif N Wessun were so money, but they didn't even know it, but they did. Really thought I was the only dude here who really liked them.

I hope you don't mind if I also add some rap that I also think needs more love:

Brasilian Landing Strip - Count Bass D (Easily one of my fav producers, dude's insane)

Troubleman - Juggaknots

Undastand - Heltah Skeltah

D Original - Jeru the Damaja ( LOVE Premier's production on this one)

How Many MCs - Black Moon

Clash of the Titans - Killarmy

One Day - UGK