DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:58 pm 

My personal rankings of the 2008-2010 serials:
Planet of the Dead
The End of Time (both parts)
The Next Doctor
The Waters of Mars

Very excited for the next season. Its supposed to premiere April 23 on BBC America (curiously, BBC America has announced the date they're showing it before the BBC itself has announced when BBC One will be actually showing the premiere. If its same-day like "A Christmas Carol" was, it will be very cool), so if you want to catch up in time for it, Clash, you have roughly a month and a half to get through the specials and the first Eleventh Doctor season.

Neil Gaiman will be writing an episode this season, which should be very cool.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:45 pm 

I love David Tennent and Tom Baker the best. :D

I REEAALLY don't like the new guy... Matt Smith. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:51 pm 

I think Matt Smith is doing just fine. I certainly didn't expect him to play the character as zany as he does.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:56 pm 

piper wrote:
I think Matt Smith is doing just fine. I certainly didn't expect him to play the character as zany as he does.

I'm sorry, I just don't like him.
I always laugh when I hear Amy. Scottish accents on Doctor Who make me laugh.
Proud Scotsman Here!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:34 pm 

piper wrote:
My personal rankings of the 2008-2010 serials:
Planet of the Dead
The End of Time (both parts)
The Next Doctor
The Waters of Mars

Is that best to least best?

Here's my ranking:

1. The End of Time (Part 2)
2. The Waters of Mars
3. The End of Time (Part 1)
4. Planet of the Dead
5. The Next Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:35 pm 

So far I've seen the first episode of season five and I thought it was great.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:56 pm 

"The Eleventh Hour" is probably my favorite season opener since the revival. Glad you liked it. Probably more than any episode since "Rose", its a good entry point from those who want to enter into the show without all too many references to stuff that happened before. I had friends who jumped in on David Tennant's first episode and were a little confused.

KeithMoonIsGod wrote:
piper wrote:

I'm sorry, I just don't like him.
I always laugh when I hear Amy. Scottish accents on Doctor Who make me laugh.
Proud Scotsman Here!!

I don't why you would think that. Karen Gillan, the actress who plays Amy, is actually Scottish. Its not a fake Scottish accent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:43 pm 

piper wrote:
I don't why you would think that. Karen Gillan, the actress who plays Amy, is actually Scottish. Its not a fake Scottish accent.

I never said it was fake. I know she's Scottish, I'm from Scotland, it was all over the news when they found out a Scot was gonna be in Doctor Who again. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:14 pm 

piper wrote:
"The Eleventh Hour" is probably my favorite season opener since the revival. Glad you liked it. Probably more than any episode since "Rose", its a good entry point from those who want to enter into the show without all too many references to stuff that happened before. I had friends who jumped in on David Tennant's first episode and were a little confused.

"The Eleventh Hour" is by far the best of the season openers, imo. I feel that all the others, especially "Rose", have been among the weaker episodes of their respective seasons. Well, "Partners in Crime" is a cute one. Maybe if I'd watched "Rose" when it first aired, I'd have been more impressed with it, but seeing it after already watching superior Eccleston and Tennant episodes, it seemed really weak, to me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:16 pm 

Oh, and, piper, is "The Waters of Mars" really your least favorite of the David Tennant specials? I thought that one was phenomenal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:47 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
Oh, and, piper, is "The Waters of Mars" really your least favorite of the David Tennant specials? I thought that one was phenomenal.

That's only because there's four of them. They're all great and it was difficult picking a "least" favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:37 pm 

where do i start with this show? This girl i kinda like likes it so im like maybe i should get into it to get into her :shark:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:11 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
where do i start with this show? This girl i kinda like likes it so im like maybe i should get into it to get into her :shark:

I'd recommend starting with the 2005 premier, even though it isn't very good, and watching from there. If you have Netflix, the first four seasons are all streaming.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:24 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
wantabodylikeme wrote:

I'd recommend starting with the 2005 premier, even though it isn't very good, and watching from there. If you have Netflix, the first four seasons are all streaming.

I agree. And after you watch all the Revival episodes, you should check out some Fourth or Fifth Doctor serials. "City of Death", a Fourth Doctor/Romana II serial from the middle of the Fourth Doctor's run, is one of the more popular Original Series entry points. The charm about the show in its original run was, despite the fact that it was extremely popular, they weren't given alot of money for sets and villiam costumes, both often seem a bit flimsy. The acting (well, most of the time) and writing, however, is some of the best in television science fiction history.

When the show returned in 2005, it referenced the old series here and there. Not extremely often, however, and it mostly deals with villians (Daleks, The Master, Cybermen) that the Doctor has a long history with, in addition to a returning companion from the show's 1970's prime that appears in a few of the newer episodes (Sarah Jane Smith). Nothing that you'd be really lost on because the show briefly explains these character, but you can check Wikipedia out on some of the details.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:17 pm 

Almost done with season five. All that's left is the two-part season finale. Matt Smith is no David Tennant, but he's a fine Doctor. Matt Smith's Doctor never seems to have those "Oh, FUCK" moments that Tennant portrayed so well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next