DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 100 Greatest Fusion Songs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:55 am 
Site Admin

100 Greatest Fusion Songs

Definition: In the late 1960s, jazz musicians began mixing the forms and improvisational techniques of jazz with the electric instruments of rock and the rhythms of soul and rhythm and blues. At the same time, some rock artists began adding jazz elements to their music. Fusion has gone on to often include world music and other elements. At its best, fusion music is often considered to be one of the most inventive, original and virtuosic musical genres.

Criteria: These Fusion Songs were chosen to chosen for their musical vision through their originality, influence, instrumental quality and creative inspiration.

Edited By: Tom M
List Begun 9-4-07

Link: http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_fusion_songs.html

1. In A Silent Way - Miles Davis
2. The Noonward Race - Mahavishnu Orchestra
3. Spain - Chick Corea
4. A Love Supreme - Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin
5. Slightly All The Time - Soft Machine
6. Boogie Woogie Waltz - Weather Report, Christian McBride
7. Hannibal - Miles Davis
8. Open Beauty - Don Ellis Orchestra
9. Chameleon - Herbie Hancock
10. A Remark You Made - Weather Report
11. Light As A Feather - Return To Forever
12. Footprints - Wayne Shorter
13. The Dominant Plague - Allan Holdsworth
14. Foreign Affairs - Tribal Tech
15. Proto Cosmos - The New Tony Williams Lifetime
16. Samurai Hee-Haw - Marc Johnson
17. Nubian Sundance - Weather Report
18. Still Warm - John Scofield
19. The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys - Traffic
20. St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast/Father O'Blivion - Frank Zappa
21. Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? - Chicago
22. Incident At Neshabur - Santana
23. World Gone Strange - Andy Summers
24. Sympathy For The Devil - Blood, Sweat & Tears
25. Sandbox - Leni Stern
26. Funnels - Allan Holdsworth
27. The Precipice - Tribal Tech
28. The Wish - Chick Corea
29. Sometimes I... - Scott Kinsey
30. Galaxy - Eddie Henderson
31. Cadillac Club - Bob Berg
32. Sister Moon - Sting
33. Shadow Dance - Dave Holland
34. The Necessary Blonde - Tribal Tech
35. Two Price Hit - Petite Blonde
36. Welcome To My Chambers - Tom Coster
37. The Approaching Storm - Chicago
38. Looking Glass - Allan Holdsworth
39. Wild Things Run Fast - Joni Mitchell
40. Desert Girl - Planet X
41. Blessed Relief - Frank Zappa
42. Window's Peak - Dennis Chambers
43. 500 Miles High - Flora Purim
44. Sultan's Boogie - Scott Henderson
45. Train Of Thought - Mitchel Forman
46. Can You Follow? - Larry Coryell
47. Birdland - Weather Report
48. Nairobi Express - Scott Henderson
49. Saturn V - Tribal Tech
50. Devil Take The Hindmost - Allan Holdsworth
51. And When I Die - Blood, Sweat & Tears
52. Stella By Infra-Red High Particle Neutron Beam - Tribal Tech
53. Birds Of Fire - Mahavishnu Orchestra
54. Pud Wud - Allan Holdsworth
55. Signal Path - Tribal Tech
56. Carol Ann - Soft Machine
57. Toussaint L'overture - Santana
58. Seven Days - Sting
59. Somewhere In The West - Andy Summers
60. Sara's Touch - Mike Mainieri
61. Expansions - Lonnie Liston Smith
62. Winter In America - Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson
63. Freedom Jazz Dance - Miroslav Vitous
64. Black Market - Weather Report, Shawn Lane
65. Inca Roads - Frank Zappa
66. Watermelon Man - Herbie Hancock
67. City Nights - Allan Holdsworth
68. Blue Matter - John Scofield
69. Hillbilly In The Band - Scott Henderson
70. Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy - Return To Forever
71. Busy On The Line - Mark-Almond
72. Strawberry Soup - Don Ellis Orchestra
73. Summerhill - Dieter Ilg
74. The Big Wave - Tribal Tech
75. Pink Napkins - Frank Zappa
76. Talk To Me - Leni Stern
77. Actual Proof - Herbie Hancock
78. Kingdom Of Dreams - Planet X
79. Samba De Sausalito - Santana
80. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - Joni Mitchell, Derek Sherinian
81. Space Camel - Tribal Tech
82. Dream - Mahavishnu Orchestra
83. Red Baron - Billy Cobham
84. Spanish Moss - Billy Cobham
85. Out-Bloody-Rageous - Soft Machine
86. School Days - Stanley Clarke
87. Nuclear Burn - Brand X
88. Giant Steps - Vital Tech Tones
89. Holiday Insane - Chad Wackerman
90. 2Fast - Scott Kinsey
91. Metro - Metro
92. Pussy Wiggle Stomp - Don Ellis
93. Race With Devil On Spanish Highway - Al Di Meola
94. Portrait Of A Yak - Wayne Johnson
95. Soli - Gong
96. Abracadabra - Klaus Doldinger
97. Bring On The Night - Sting
98. 5 To 10 - Allan Holdsworth
99. Vashkar - Tony Williams Lifetime
100. Zoot Allures - Frank Zappa

Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Fusion Songs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am 

one of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:16 am 

George, thanks for sharing I loved it........

I have this on vinyl.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:06 am 

Birdland should probably be above Nubian Sundance for its influence and popularity. Both should probably be Top 30 at least.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:08 pm 

that's cool, Rick... the chorus sounds a bit like peter gabriel's "solsbury hill"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:54 am 

Why are there not any songs from the Chick Corea Elektric band!? They're like one of the top bands when it comes to fusion. I think two of their songs that should be on this list is either "Got A Match?" or "King Cockroach".
Also, Chick Corea's song "Quartet No. 1" from Three Quartets is a great accoustic jazz-rock/post-bop song.

Also, who is Petite Blonde?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:39 pm 

I do agree with you and could add several more however it's not my list. I didn't compile it, create it or adapt it based on the criteria. The listmaker and editor has not been seen here for quite some time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:03 am 

Or

check out the bass of John Patitucci @4:30 on

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:19 am 

and on the subject of Bass players.......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:31 am 

Rick wrote:
I do agree with you and could add several more however it's not my list. I didn't compile it, create it or adapt it based on the criteria. The listmaker and editor has not been seen here for quite some time.

Thank you Rick for telling me that. Is there any way for someone else to edit this list, such as yourself? Because this list probably could use some changes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:20 pm 

izkool wrote:
Rick wrote:

Thank you Rick for telling me that. Is there any way for someone else to edit this list, such as yourself? Because this list probably could use some changes.

This discussion has often come up since 'Tom' disappeared from the forum and I've been asked to take the reins many times. Lew did ask me to Moderate quite some time ago so I did, however, I am reluctant to change anyone's list because as the listmaker/Editor of over 25 lists I completely understand the degree of research/homework/time that goes into the making of these lists.

When Tom approached Lew with the request to provide this list Lew asked if I had any objection because I have provided and edited the majority of the Jazz lists since the site began. I did not so there you are. I had been told that Tom had created the Wikipedia page for fusion and I've included the link for you. Reading the page it is easy to see how this list came into being based on the info in his Wiki article. It is also another example of the huge amount of work that someone/anyone accepts when attempting a project like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_fusion

What I will say is that a number of artists included in 'Tom's list are curious choices to my perspective. But, my perspective is different from his as evidently so is yours. It doesn't make it better or worse, just different. Lord knows my lists have their detractors but thankfully they've always been in the minority. I will make another attempt to contact him as I have in the past and see where that leads us. My opinion, and it's only my opinion is that Tom should at least have a cursory involvement with the site because you and many others maintain an avid interest in this sub-genre of music.

fyi...here is the link for Petite Blonde
http://www.jazz.com/music/2008/4/1/peti ... -price-hit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:01 am 

Hi folks...yes...I still exist...I'm just one of those busy boys who actually has another life, part of which is writing about jazz and fusion gigs for LAJazz.com every week for the last three years. I'll be around this week to try and reply to some of the inquiries here. Please remember, however, like every other list on DDD, that these lists are an opinion...and no two opinions will match. I've been listening to this music since its origins, and I can promise you I hear more of it live on a regular basis than nearly anyone, and know hundreds of the players on a personal level. That knowledge is respected among musicians such that I've been called "Mr. Fusion" and "the guy that knows more about fusion music than anyone on the planet". That latter quote, while flattering, is not true, but I do write about live fusion gigs more than anyone I know, at least.

I'll be around to try and respond to the inquiries here and update things over the course of the coming week or two. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:39 pm 

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...

As far as the Elektric Band goes...I'm not that big on their recorded output, especially all the stuff with DiMeola, which is much of it. Their are better versions of the lineup, such as the Mike Miller/Gary Novak band of the mid-90's, for which there aren't any recordings, other than video. The stuff of the Acoustic band is good, but it's not fusion. My favorite recording of Corea's from the last 20 years is the largely forgotten "Time Warp" record, and that one is mentioned in places here...even though it's borderline as to whether it's a fusion record.

Again, just my opinion, but I'm happy to share it. I know there are people out there who believe the Elektric Band is where fusion somehow began and ended...I ran into that years ago on Wikipedia...I am not a member of that club. And as a point of reference, the current article on Jazz Fusion on Wikipedia bears only a small resemblance to the major rewrite I did of it four-plus years ago. Anyone can edit Wikipedia, and has.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:09 am 

fusion07 wrote:
Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...

As far as the Elektric Band goes...I'm not that big on their recorded output, especially all the stuff with DiMeola, which is much of it. Their are better versions of the lineup, such as the Mike Miller/Gary Novak band of the mid-90's, for which there aren't any recordings, other than video. The stuff of the Acoustic band is good, but it's not fusion. My favorite recording of Corea's from the last 20 years is the largely forgotten "Time Warp" record, and that one is mentioned in places here...even though it's borderline as to whether it's a fusion record.

Again, just my opinion, but I'm happy to share it. I know there are people out there who believe the Elektric Band is where fusion somehow began and ended...I ran into that years ago on Wikipedia...I am not a member of that club. And as a point of reference, the current article on Jazz Fusion on Wikipedia bears only a small resemblance to the major rewrite I did of it four-plus years ago. Anyone can edit Wikipedia, and has.

Hey Fusion07, do you think that jazz/fusion players should be rewarded higher spots on these categories rather than rock/fusion players? Personally, I believe they should considering fusion is a sub-genre of jazz.
Also, you have Terry Bozzio on the fusion drummer list. My question is what fusion albums has he done? I too help edit wikipedia. When labeling genres under musicians or albums I always try to find sources proving which genres they play; yet I have not been able to find any internet sources proving that Bozzio is in fact a fusion drummer/has played fusion/or has done fusion albums. Please help me, because this is driving me crazy. Even Bozzio's Wikipedia page doesn't have him labeled under fusion! If he isn't a fusion drummer, then he doesn't belong under the fusion drummer list; much less at the rank he's at. I mean Weckl needs to be at least top 3.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:23 am 

izkool wrote:
fusion07 wrote:
Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...

Hey Fusion07, do you think that jazz/fusion players should be rewarded higher spots on these categories rather than rock/fusion players? Personally, I believe they should considering fusion is a sub-genre of jazz.
Also, you have Terry Bozzio on the fusion drummer list. My question is what fusion albums has he done? I too help edit wikipedia. When labeling genres under musicians or albums I always try to find sources proving which genres they play; yet I have not been able to find any internet sources proving that Bozzio is in fact a fusion drummer/has played fusion/or has done fusion albums. Please help me, because this is driving me crazy. Even Bozzio's Wikipedia page doesn't have him labeled under fusion! If he isn't a fusion drummer, then he doesn't belong under the fusion drummer list; much less at the rank he's at. I mean Weckl needs to be at least top 3.

The origins of fusion were jazz and rock...that's where the term came from...expanded later to include world and other music. At the point of origin, you had Blood, Sweat & Tears that was more jazz than rock, and Chicago was vice-versa - I had that discussion years ago with people on Wikipedia and found it hard to argue one was more important than the other, and there were a few things added to the Wiki page years ago I disagreed with, especially a guy who was a Greg Howe freak....but...Wikipedia is made up of many opinions with varying levels of expertise.

Terry Bozzio's played plenty of fusion music...I consider a lot of the Zappa stuff as such. The stuff he's done recently with Alex Machacek is about as "fusion" as it gets, even for a "purist". He's also done genre recordings with the Brecker Brothers, Jeff Beck, Mark Isham, and others.