It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:31 pm 

Another popular TV show thread.

I suspect this'll pick up once the show comes back next year.

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:32 pm 

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best british show EVER!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:40 am 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
Christmas SPECIAL tomorrow. Don't MISS it!!! :siren: :dec-smile:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:55 am 

yeah, BBC America's putting the special on at 9PM EST tomorrow, unedited but with some commercial interruption.

Should be a fun watch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:59 pm 

This is my favorite television show.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:53 pm 

how long have you been watching Clash? since the 2005 revival or before that?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:25 pm 

piper wrote:
how long have you been watching Clash? since the 2005 revival or before that?

I remember the Tom Baker-era episodes on PBS freaking me out as a kid. I would consider myself a casual fan before the revival, and a big fan since the revival. The David Tenant stuff is fantastic, especially the ones penned by Moffat. Although, my favorite episode of them all is probably "Utopia" by Davies. I bought the revival box sets relatively recently. I'm just about to watch the season four finale for the first time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:03 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
I remember the Tom Baker-era episodes on PBS freaking me out as a kid. I would consider myself a casual fan before the revival, and a big fan since the revival.

Yes, that describes me too. My local PBS station, WSBE, was one of the last stations to abandon Doctor Who (this was around 1998 or so), but I clearly remember watching Baker and Davison episodes when I was a kid, and I got around to some of the earlier and later ones several years later. My favorite episodes since the revival tend to be Moffat-penned ones like "Blink" and "Midnight" that use only a few characters and sparse sets.

Its a bit expensive if you want to buy old serials on DVD (because I don't like the quality of episodes available online). My local Barnes & Noble has my favorite serial, "City of Death" (co-written by Douglas Adams and one of the most popular Fourth Doctor serials), but it will set me back some $30 last time I looked.

David Tennant was an excellent Doctor (and since he was a fan since he was young, he knew exactly how he wanted to play that character), but I've been extremely impressed by Matt Smith, the new Doctor (early promo photos had me worried that he'd be played as a brooding emo-y Doctor, but instead we've gotten a Doctor that's actually more zany than Tennant's Tenth).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:27 pm 

piper wrote:
My favorite episodes since the revival tend to be Moffat-penned ones like "Blink" and "Midnight" that use only a few characters and sparse sets.

"Midnight" is actually written by Davies, but, yes, both of those episodes are among the very best.

piper wrote:
Its a bit expensive if you want to buy old serials on DVD (because I don't like the quality of episodes available online). My local Barnes & Noble has my favorite serial, "City of Death" (co-written by Douglas Adams and one of the most popular Fourth Doctor serials), but it will set me back some $30 last time I looked.

I just watched "City of Death" last week streaming on Netflix.

piper wrote:
David Tennant was an excellent Doctor (and since he was a fan since he was young, he knew exactly how he wanted to play that character), but I've been extremely impressed by Matt Smith, the new Doctor (early promo photos had me worried that he'd be played as a brooding emo-y Doctor, but instead we've gotten a Doctor that's actually more zany than Tennant's Tenth).

I've only seen three of the Matt Smith ones so far, but I like what I've seen. I just ordered the season five DVD set a couple days ago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:04 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
piper wrote:
My favorite episodes since the revival tend to be Moffat-penned ones like "Blink" and "Midnight" that use only a few characters and sparse sets.

"Midnight" is actually written by Davies, but, yes, both of those episodes are among the very best.

So it is. It seems like a very Moffat-esque episode, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:05 pm 

Well, I just watched the end of season four for the first time. Wow, that was just too ridiculously over-the-top, even for Doctor Who. I know the show requires some serious suspension of disbelief, but, wow, that one was asking a bit much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:51 pm 

I liked that they gave David Tennant potentially a role he could play as he ages if he so wishes to reprise it, but I really didn't like how they really wrote Donna out (did you notice how she got less shrill and more interesting as the season wore on? They intentionally developed a character that was largely throwaway in "The Runaway Bride" into one of the best companions of the revival). It sets up the last David Tennant episodes nicely, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:25 pm 

piper wrote:
I liked that they gave David Tennant potentially a role he could play as he ages if he so wishes to reprise it, but I really didn't like how they really wrote Donna out (did you notice how she got less shrill and more interesting as the season wore on? They intentionally developed a character that was largely throwaway in "The Runaway Bride" into one of the best companions of the revival). It sets up the last David Tennant episodes nicely, though.

I mostly liked the season four finale, I just thought it was too much. My biggest problem with it is the bits with the stars going out and the Earth being moved. Those events just stretch the laws of physics too far for me. I also felt the Daleks were too easy to defeat in the end. Loved the take on Davros, though. That was superb. I hope they don't feel that every season finale has to out-do the one before, because... well, because of all the stuff they crammed into the end of season four.

Yes, Donna Noble is a fantastic character. But they had to write her out somehow, didn't they? That was a deeply emotional way to do it. Katherine Tate is a big star in the UK in her own right. I'm not sure she wanted to do another season. And, yes, it's cool that David Tennant can return as his half human self.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:55 pm 

as I mentioned before, what happens to Donna and how it affects the Doctor sets up the 2009-2010 Tennant specials up really well. You'll probably really like those.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:01 pm 

piper wrote:
as I mentioned before, what happens to Donna and how it affects the Doctor sets up the 2009-2010 Tennant specials up really well. You'll probably really like those.

Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing them. I've got the Complete Specials DVD set.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next