DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 140  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Bass Guitarists
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:12 am 

ariel wrote:
Looks like Murray has some nasty versatility but I'd need more than that to go off of. Props for bringing up an unknown name rather than going 'raise [famous person] dammit!'

Murray isn't unknown at all, he's played on a whole bunch of records and anyone in the hard rock scene who has a bit of an interest in bass guitar knows him. If Murray isn't well known here that really proves people here don't know much more about bassists than the casual fan. Anyone with a slight interest knows the guys in the top 10 and plenty of others.

I believe Murray is on the metal bassists list by the way. Good bassist, some damn fine grooves he played during his time with Whitesnake.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:31 pm 

Doctor_Pik_Jr wrote:
ariel wrote:
Looks like Murray has some nasty versatility but I'd need more than that to go off of. Props for bringing up an unknown name rather than going 'raise [famous person] dammit!'

Murray isn't unknown at all, he's played on a whole bunch of records and anyone in the hard rock scene who has a bit of an interest in bass guitar knows him. If Murray isn't well known here that really proves people here don't know much more about bassists than the casual fan. Anyone with a slight interest knows the guys in the top 10 and plenty of others.

I believe Murray is on the metal bassists list by the way. Good bassist, some damn fine grooves he played during his time with Whitesnake.

Unfortunetly he's not. :sad: But he is a mental bassist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:12 pm 

D.J. wrote:
Anyway about JPJ:
Influence 7/10
Innovation 10/15
Creativity 13/15
Versatility 12/15
Tech skill 12/15

Good breakdown on the whole but I'd change it slightly.

I'd give JPJ 8 in influence.
Bassfreak used to argue that JPJ deserves a decent innovation score since he was 'one of the first to elevate the bass in rock'...but I'm not sure how true that is. I'd give JPJ maybe like 10/15 in Innovation.

Creativity no way in hell JPJ gets 13. 13 is demi-god territory. 13 is guys like Levin and the Ox who have very unique, memorable styles that you recognize instantly. JPJ isn't that. JPJ's 12 - he's really excellent, but he doesn't really have a unique 'voice' on the instrument. I'm set on this score.

Versatility...hmm...12/15 sounds reasonable.

Tech skill would be like 11/15

which leads, as a total, to...

53. Your JPJ total was 54.

Hmm.

Well, thanks for your input, those were good scores :-)

Dr Pik -

I know a shitload about bassists, don't doubt me. Never heard of Murray I guess because I don't really follow hard rock

If you want him on the list make a case!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:00 am 

KeithMoonIsGod wrote:
Doctor_Pik_Jr wrote:
ariel wrote:

Unfortunetly he's not. :sad: But he is a mental bassist

That's odd, I could've sworn he was on one of the lists. He should be.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:20 am 

ariel wrote:
D.J. wrote:
Anyway about JPJ:
Influence 7/10
Innovation 10/15
Creativity 13/15
Versatility 12/15
Tech skill 12/15

Good breakdown on the whole but I'd change it slightly.

I'd give JPJ 8 in influence.
Bassfreak used to argue that JPJ deserves a decent innovation score since he was 'one of the first to elevate the bass in rock'...but I'm not sure how true that is. I'd give JPJ maybe like 10/15 in Innovation.

Creativity no way in hell JPJ gets 13. 13 is demi-god territory. 13 is guys like Levin and the Ox who have very unique, memorable styles that you recognize instantly. JPJ isn't that. JPJ's 12 - he's really excellent, but he doesn't really have a unique 'voice' on the instrument. I'm set on this score.

Versatility...hmm...12/15 sounds reasonable.

Tech skill would be like 11/15

which leads, as a total, to...

53. Your JPJ total was 54.

Hmm.

Well, thanks for your input, those were good scores :-)

Dr Pik -

I know a shitload about bassists, don't doubt me. Never heard of Murray I guess because I don't really follow hard rock

If you want him on the list make a case!

Thanks Ariel! so do you think this list should be totally or partially redone with these scores or not?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:03 am 

BayPineapple wrote:
ariel wrote:
Well I'll ask this...who should he jump over? Not Flea IMO...and are you familiar with Johnson & Jackson's contributions?

Well you know more about bass than me, so I'll take your word for it. Claypool is just one of my personal favorites. Actually, I think he is better than Flea, but like I said you know more than me about bass players. You stick with the bass, I'll stick with the drums ;)

Remember this list is about the greatest not the technically most proficient or your personal favorite. FYI, I am also a bass player (38 years). I changed my name btw. Can you guess who I am?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:06 am 

ariel wrote:
BayPineapple wrote:
ariel wrote:
Well I'll ask this...who should he jump over? Not Flea IMO...and are you familiar with Johnson & Jackson's contributions?

Well you know more about bass than me, so I'll take your word for it. Claypool is just one of my personal favorites. Actually, I think he is better than Flea, but like I said you know more than me about bass players. You stick with the bass, I'll stick with the drums ;)

Lol...and we'll invade each other's forums ;-) (for as long as I feel like being a real active member anyway, which might end tomorrow for as far as I know)

The Flea/Claypool debate raged like hell back in 2005. Flea's way superior influence and versatility ensured he'd be higher, as I recall.

I would agree with that although Claypool is very good. The quirkiness of his music limits him overall.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:18 am 

ariel wrote:
Jamerson takes a big shit on Lee who's overrated anyway.

I think Jamerson's fixed at #1.

Check out "Darling my Dear" by the Jackson 5...think that's what it's called

Jamerson is the father of modern Rock Electric Bass. He was playing complex funky lines when when everyone else was laying down simple grooves (he virtually invented funk bass). Players as diverse as John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Paul McCartney, Tim Bogert, Billy Sheehan, Jaco Pastorious, Jerry Jemmott, Chuck Rainey, Bob Babbitt, Bootsy Collins and most others that followed in the late 60's and 70's site him as an influence. His position as #1 is set in concrete.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:20 am 

ariel wrote:
Jamerson takes a big shit on Lee who's overrated anyway.

No way that Geddy Lee is overrated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:23 am 

Doctor_Pik_Jr wrote:
JPJ wipes the floor with Geezer.

Wrong. You can debate as to who is better but they are pretty close. Stylistically they are very different.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:29 am 

Ssoyd wrote:
BayPineapple wrote:
ariel wrote:

Remember this list is about the greatest not the technically most proficient or your personal favorite. FYI, I am also a bass player (38 years). I changed my name btw. Can you guess who I am?

Welcome to the new forum tbcass! :tiphat:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:44 am 

ariel wrote:
D.J. if you want someone raised give an argument.

Squire's a genius but it's fairly unlikely he gets raised above Graham I'd reckon...G.'s influence is just insane.

Graham invented Slap n' Pop bass, something i I will resent him for forever. :lol: (IMO, slap is one of the most overused and cliched techniques there is) However since Graham invented it his greatness is secured forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipjTvRe7-Zg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENe5snEv ... re=related

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:51 am 

BayPineapple wrote:
My Top Five Favorite Bass Players
1. Chris Squire
2. James Jamerson
3. John Entwistle
4. Tony Levin
5. Paul McCartney

Speaking of McCartney, does anybody think he is better than Lee?
Ariel, could you do a criteria breakdown. From what I have seen you know a lot about the bass

Musicians have to be rated against their peers. Aside from Jamerson, McCartney was a giant of bass in the 60's. He had tremendous influence and his ability to create melodic bass lines that added harmonic interest to the song were unprecedented at the time.

Last edited by Ssoyd on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:04 am 

D.J. wrote:

You are correct!!! It seems the forum has resurrected interest in the Bass forum, at least for now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:14 am 

Ssoyd wrote:
D.J. wrote:

You are correct!!! It seems the forum has resurrected interest in the Bass forum, at least for now.

Yes, it was a pity the bass forum was almost dead..I really hope it could be always so working...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 140  Next