It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Parliament - Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome (197
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:22 am 

Yikes!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:27 am 

Yousha wrote:

we get around....i wish the folks in DDD get to visit a nation like Bangladesh ...would open a lot of eyes....

I hope to travel extensively in Asia one day.

As far as what I have experienced, I have seen this (shanty towns outside of San Jose, Costa Rica):

Unfortunately, Costa Rica is the most prosperous country in Central America. I cringe thinking of what the shanty towns are like in Guatemala, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:28 am 

As the thread creator, I approve this highjack...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:34 am 

I'd like to say that pic above is an exaggeration and its not always like that, but I'd be lying if i said that isnt an every day scenario ....

I still love this city though .... with all its imperfections and pollution and what not .....

though if all goes well, I'll be in houston texas for my masters in about 4 years .... at least, that's the plan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:02 pm 

Yousha wrote:
I'd like to say that pic above is an exaggeration and its not always like that, but I'd be lying if i said that isnt an every day scenario ....

I still love this city though .... with all its imperfections and pollution and what not .....

though if all goes well, I'll be in houston texas for my masters in about 4 years .... at least, that's the plan
Houston, TX represents everything bad about America. What do you hope to get your masters in?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:10 pm 

then its the perfect place for me to further expand my hatred for the country.... :lol:

nah, my sister lives there, and not the types to live alone in the USA, id need a visa first, Ive been rejected once for going to germany for apparently being a terrorist, so I dont really think Im gonna be very successful , but shall decide on how to tackle the problem once it presents itself...

Im currently in 2nd year in my uni, doing bachelors in economics .... but probably thinking of an MBA, or IR or maybe even something Eco related .... I'll never have the money to do it, so I'll have to be able to earn a scholarship, and considering the fact that Im not really teh most ambitious/serious student ever, its not going to be easy work ......

but let us see what happens.... :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:24 pm 

Yousha wrote:
Ive been rejected once for going to germany for apparently being a terrorist

eh? You're going to have to explain that one...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:30 am 

OMG! This album is hilarious in the best possible way! Okay, I'm getting more by them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:33 pm 

I HIGHLY recommend, if you don't already have them, Mothership Connection and The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein.

Glad you like it Matz.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:48 am 

From the beginning P-Funk has told us how the Funk can provide salvation from mindless consumerism. All those elements come together to provide the theme for this album. Funk as the socio-political state-of-mind metaphor. The seemingly simple surface of these dance songs contain a musical and lyrical battle between good and evil.

With the rousing opener, Parliament throw down the gauntlet and give the fair warning. One shot from the Bop Gun and the unfunky become an endangered species.

The following tracks introduce the players in this battle between Funkentelechy (Funk + intellect + technology) and the Placebo Syndrome. Sir Nose is the subliminal seducer who will never dance. His followers living their tweedle-dee-dee-dumb, humdrum lives. But Starchild is the protector of the pleasure principle who will pull us from the zone of zero funkativity.

The Wizard of Finance sings of love as an even greater commodity. More double-entendres follow; as his love portfolio grows, even Dow Jones will be impressed by the size of his "dividend". (First time I've ever heard it called that...)

Mood control has every kind of pill to keep you in line, constantly programming and reprogramming your thinking. But Funk is the Big Pill; it's a nonprofit organization. It's mood de-control designed to deprogram.

The powers-that-be try to control the people by pimping the pleasure principle, the seductive sound of Placebo Syndrome stand a warning about how easy it is to take things for granted.

Starchild's hilarious and continuous subversion of pop culture complacency (nursery rhymes, cartoons, commercials, game shows) throughout the album builds to the finale of Flash Light (P-Funk's first R&B number one hit). Whether it's the flash light or the spotlight, truth overcomes oppression as "everyone's got a little light under the sun".

Once again, I know I'm overanalyzing this because it isn't just another boring, half-baked concept album. Track after track, pounding on-the-one rhythms will put a glide in your slide and they provide the backdrop for the Horny Horns and Bernie's keyboards to soar - Bop Gun, Wizard, Syndrome...

Musical highlights include: Goin's forceful lead vocal on Bop Gun, balanced perfectly by the Brides of Funkenstein's high harmonies. Worrell's synth bass on Flash Light. Bootsy's and/or Booige's bass on almost every song.

Great dance music, great theme, funny lyrics; another A.