DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parliament - Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome (1977)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:35 pm 

1. "Bop Gun (Endangered Species)" (G. Clinton/G. Shider/B. Collins) – 8:31
2. "Sir Nose d'Voidoffunk [Pay Attention – B3M]" (G. Clinton/W. Collins/B. Worrell) – 10:04
3. "Wizard of Finance" (G. Clinton/R. Ford/G. Goins) – 4:23
4. "Funkentelechy" (G. Clinton/W. Collins) – 10:56
5. "Placebo Syndrome" (G. Clinton/B. Nelson) – 4:20
6. "Flash Light" (G. Clinton/W. Collins/B. Worrell) – 5:46

If you're not familiar with the wonderful world and music of George Clinton and P-Funk, then you have a large hole to fill in your music library.

However, I must warn you. These guys did/do a lot of drugs, hard and soft. Here's a picture of Clinton:

It shows fairly often in their music. If you dive in to the vast collective discography of sister bands Funkadelic and Parliament, don't be surprised to run into some wacked out song titles ("Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication"? "Promentalshitbackwashpsychosis Enema Squad (The Doo-Doo Chasers)"? WTF!?), and the occasional 10 minute African tribal freakout, among other qualities. I mean, shit, look at the title of the album I'm reviewing! Unfortunately, a large number of people can't get past this aspect and fail to see the musical heart of Parliament. P-Funk ruled the underground Black music scene in the latter half of the 1970s. Their catalog was raided for musical inspiration by many pioneering hip hop artists.

Anyways, before I turn this into a Parliament/Funkadelic biography, I'll get to the album. Funkentelechy finds itself at the tail end of a massive three album run by Parliament. Mothership Connection -> The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein -> Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome may be the finest album run in funk history. The final album, while lacking the PR of Mothership Connection, is the best of the bunch. They are all fantastic though. This one has all the Parliament/P-Funk trademarks. Infectious beats, sexy female back-up singers, huge brass and sax arrangements, gritty, soulful male vocals, an array of keyboard sounds, weird lyrics (many times sung by Clinton's deep voice), and thick bass lines that are funkier than your momma's breath.

I'd recommend listening to the previous two albums to get the full effect, as they introduce characters from the P-Funk universe. The main ones are Dr. Funkenstein, Star Child, and Sir Nose D’Voidoffunk. Basically, Dr. Funkenstein is trying to spread funk over the universe, and people who hate music (and especially dancing, probably supposed to represent white people) are trying to stop him.

In this album, Star Child, who works for Dr. Funkenstein, defeats Sir Nose, forcing him to dance.

Highlights include the massively funky and epic "Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk", the equally huge "Funkentelechy", and the rump shakers "Bop Gun" and "Flashlight". Even the breather tracks like the motown-derived "Wizard of Finance" and "Placebo Syndrome" are very enjoyable. Coming in just shy of 45 minutes, this is a great album, front to back.

10/10

Post subject: Re: Parliament - Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome (197
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:59 pm 

Mothership Connection is the best funk album I've heard I think. I have these two albums, and I'll think I'll listen to them very soon. Nice review, San.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:47 pm 

Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome is a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:49 pm 

Damn, I really need to hear more Parliament/Funkadelic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:07 pm 

It's so strange how triumphant Star Child's victory over Sir Nose feels on this album. A true testament to the quality of the music that it feels that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:22 pm 

Amen!

I love the end of Sir Nose D. Sir Nose's pathetic attempt at cursing Star Child (I'll get you for this Star Child!) are drowned out by a wall of funk that would make a corpse dance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:36 pm 

Anyone give this a listen yet?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:15 pm 

I love this album

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:22 am 

i tried giving their songs a listen, some of them i like, but some, just go over my head...maybe for a guy who's never done weed/any drugs, its hard to get into

edit: Maggot Brain will still be eternally awesome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:30 pm 

You definitely don't do need drugs to enjoy this music.

Like I said in the review:

"Unfortunately, a large number of people can't get past this aspect and fail to see the musical heart of Parliament."

It's VERY different from most music out there, so it's probably an acquired taste. Nothing like Maggot Brain on this either.

edit: I'm glad you gave it a shot though.

Also, I'm curious, what are the drug laws like in Bangladesh? I know most Asian countries (especially East Asian) have insane drug laws (Singapore, Japan, et al).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:45 pm 

well its a very backward and rural country along with being strictly islamic so what do you think they are like , hehe ...but he fact that the country itself is so corrupt, many of my friends enter classes high and there are plenty of opportunities/places to indulge yourself, though you dont get much cept weed and the occasional pills, none of the really hard stuff ...

and i might get into parliament eventually .... just evolving .... :cheers:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:20 pm 

Yousha wrote:
well its a very backward and rural country along with being strictly islamic so what do you think they are like , hehe ...but he fact that the country itself is so corrupt, many of my friends enter classes high and there are plenty of opportunities/places to indulge yourself, though you dont get much cept weed and the occasional pills, none of the really hard stuff ...

Sounds like a typical developing nation to me.

You guys have an insane population density. I knew it was high, but some quick research made me realize it was way higher than I thought.

For my own reference, the state I live in, Michigan, has about the same amount of land area as Bangladesh. Our population is ~10,000,000, which is the the 8th highest population out of 50 states. Also consider that The United States has the third highest population in the world.

Bangladesh has 165,000,000 people! That's fucking nuts. How do you have room to even move?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:40 pm 

I just DLed this because of this thread. gj st.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:33 am 

Thanks Matz.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:58 am 

SanTropez wrote:
Yousha wrote:

Sounds like a typical developing nation to me.

You guys have an insane population density. I knew it was high, but some quick research made me realize it was way higher than I thought.

For my own reference, the state I live in, Michigan, has about the same amount of land area as Bangladesh. Our population is ~10,000,000, which is the the 8th highest population out of 50 states. Also consider that The United States has the third highest population in the world.

Bangladesh has 165,000,000 people! That's fucking nuts. How do you have room to even move?

we get around....i wish the folks in DDD get to visit a nation like Bangladesh ...would open a lot of eyes....

btw, Dhaka has a population density of about 23000 per sq km , .....thats where I live....and that sounds freaky even to me...

as for place to move .... well, im suee you can find pics of Dhaka city to see the answer to that...