DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Artists Of The 2000's
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:41 pm 

pave wrote:
are you aware that JT and Britney are both above Tool on acclaimedmusic's list of most acclaimed artists of the decade? objectively, the are "better". you may not like their music, but its more acclaimed than Tool's.

and just to counter your personal opinion with another (although its irrelevant to the list), both JT and Britney's music is more fun to listen to than Tool's. the songwriting is tighter. they have charisma. the production is better. i could go on.

love Danny Carey though.

Well to be honest Acclaimedmusic is a shit site with shittier lists. Their hard on for Nirvana is stupid, they put The Who in like, the 20's or something for greatest rock bands and Nirvana in top 10. Site's gay, in every fathomable meaning of the word

Last edited by Classic Rock Junkie on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:46 pm 

pave wrote:
Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
the fact that Britney Spears can be on ANY best rock list, let alone the top 10, shows us how terrible the 00's were. Really, it's sad.

also, the fact that the top ten here also includes Outkast, Eminem, The White Stripes and Radiohead show me how good the 00s really were.

Other than Eminem and Radiohead, I don't know what the hell you're talking about. I haven't listened to much Outkast, maybe I should, but still...this might be differing opinions, but as I said, I've been exploring full discographies now of 60's/70's bands, and I'm surprised that outside of all the major hits, there are still SO many good songs that are way better than any White Stripes or Radiohead song I've ever heard. But this is my opinion. Hence why I'm not bringing up the list. Still...Britney Spears, as far as I know, didn't write her own music, and half the time didn't sing it, so is she really an 'artist' (in the musical sense) or a 'performer'. Either way, she shouldn't belong up there, the fact that she's ahead of the genius of Coldplay, Eminem, and Radiohead is very sad.

PS, I hate rap and hip-hop as a genre, because it's overloaded with terrible, terrible, talentless music, and new artists up there every week of equal suckage, but that doesn't mean I don't respect the could ones, Eminem, 2pac, and Public Enemy in the 80's are great musicians and lyricists, undeniable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:29 pm 

I honestly think Tool, Dream Theater, and Coldplay are the best artists still making albums in the 00's. I think Tool's creativity, skill, and lyrical genius outwits nearly every other band around now, but they aren't that popular and it's not everyone's cup of tea, but hey, IMO, they are genius :)

Eww. I do like Tool every now and then (although I prefer their '90s stuff). Dream Theater are talented, but I don't find them enjoyable. And Coldplay are really nothing special. I prefer them over Spears, but that doesn't say much. Good thing this list isn't based on my preference.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:00 pm 

pgm wrote:
I honestly think Tool, Dream Theater, and Coldplay are the best artists still making albums in the 00's. I think Tool's creativity, skill, and lyrical genius outwits nearly every other band around now, but they aren't that popular and it's not everyone's cup of tea, but hey, IMO, they are genius :)

Eww. I do like Tool every now and then (although I prefer their '90s stuff). Dream Theater are talented, but I don't find them enjoyable. And Coldplay are really nothing special. I prefer them over Spears, but that doesn't say much. Good thing this list isn't based on my preference.

I like Coldplay because they mesh good lyrics, a great/likeable sound (albeit not totally original), ambiance, and emotion in their music, it makes for a great band of likes we don't see anymore.

I'm a prog guy, I've heard every Yes and King Crimson song ever, and after listening to Images and Words again, you can feel Yes'/Crimsons' legacy within the band, they have great music theory/composition combined with technical prowess to make good sounding music, which is extremely rare, and IMO, the last remaining 'true' prog band (I never considered Rush 'true' prog, they were too mainstream, like Floyd, when I say 'true' prog I mean Crimson/Yes/ELP/early Genesis/Traffic/etc.). Tool takes the uniqueness and creativity criteria of the era, they mesh AMAZING, in your face, honest lyrics with technical prowess, musical creativity, and a unique and original sound that I can't compare to anything before and blatantly place a 'copied' label, sure they've had influence, but they are one of the most unique bands of the last two decades.

So we have the creative/original/complex band, the technical/skilled/progressive band, and the emotional/well written/popular band. Those take the 3 slots for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:39 pm 

pgm wrote:

I like Coldplay because they mesh good lyrics, a great/likeable sound (albeit not totally original), ambiance, and emotion in their music, it makes for a great band of likes we don't see anymore.

Do you know who Radiohead are?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:14 pm 

SanTropez wrote:

I think he mentioned Radiohead once. Both Radiohead and Muse excel in every one of his subjective criteria.

He thinks Rush and Pink Floyd are "too popular" to be prog bands, which makes no sense; genre =/= popularity.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:33 pm 

Ok, I am wasting brain cells by being in this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:35 pm 

pave wrote:
are you aware that JT and Britney are both above Tool on acclaimedmusic's list of most acclaimed artists of the decade? objectively, the are "better". you may not like their music, but its more acclaimed than Tool's.

and just to counter your personal opinion with another (although its irrelevant to the list), both JT and Britney's music is more fun to listen to than Tool's. the songwriting is tighter. they have charisma. the production is better. i could go on.

love Danny Carey though.

Well to be honest Acclaimedmusic is a shit site with shittier lists. Their hard on for Nirvana is stupid, they put The Who in like, the 20's or something for greatest rock bands and Nirvana in top 10. Site's gay, in every fathomable meaning of the word

You do realise, acclaimedmusic don't make their own lists, right? They collate lists from critics and tot them up. They don't chose where the Who or Nirvana are listed.

And I never realised that a website could have sex or sexual attractions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:21 pm 

piper wrote:
SanTropez wrote:

I think he mentioned Radiohead once. Both Radiohead and Muse excel in every one of his subjective criteria.

He thinks Rush and Pink Floyd are "too popular" to be prog bands, which makes no sense; genre =/= popularity.

I like Radiohead, and to some extent Muse, but I beg to differ with the "Muse meets all of my criteria".

And I don't know where you got I think Rush and Floyd are "too popular" to be prog bands, I never said that at all. You clearly misinterpreted my words. I'm saying due to the popularity of those prog bands (Who are, by all means, TRUE prog, I never said they weren't), the MORE PROGRESSIVE bands were overshadowed and didn't get as much of a mainstream audience.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:24 pm 

Avery Island is also right: Acclaimedmusic's lists are an aggregator of numerous lists made by other publications and websites, combining them all into a big list.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:29 pm 

And I don't know where you got I think Rush and Floyd are "too popular" to be prog bands, I never said that at all. You clearly misinterpreted my words. I'm saying due to the popularity of those prog bands (Who are, by all means, TRUE prog, I never said they weren't), the MORE PROGRESSIVE bands were overshadowed and didn't get as much of a mainstream audience.

I never considered Rush 'true' prog, they were too mainstream, like Floyd, when I say 'true' prog I mean Crimson/Yes/ELP/early Genesis/Traffic/etc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:27 am 

Machine Head wrote:

I never considered Rush 'true' prog, they were too mainstream, like Floyd, when I say 'true' prog I mean Crimson/Yes/ELP/early Genesis/Traffic/etc

Okay, I was wrong, I didn't realize that I used True prog twice. Let's change 'true' to 'pure'. There, no I do not feel Pink Floyd and Rush are as 'pure' prog bands as Yes/Crimson/ELP/Early Genesis.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 am 

Okay, I was wrong, I didn't realize that I used True prog twice. Let's change 'true' to 'pure'. There, no I do not feel Pink Floyd and Rush are as 'pure' prog bands as Yes/Crimson/ELP/Early Genesis.

Why not? Because they were more mainstream? Bullshit reasoning.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:59 am 

pgm wrote:

Coldplay are a good band in the fact that they have captured the essence and sound of a few great bands and fused that to their own. They may not be THAT special but i enjoy them more than Tool and Dream Theater generally.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:48 pm 

Machine Head wrote:

Why not? Because they were more mainstream? Bullshit reasoning.

That's not why, they didn't push the boundaries of music composition and creativity, they were very creative, but saying that they tried to be as experimental, original, and complex as King Crimson is just, IMO, not correct. to the extent of those other bands, IMO. What is the exact definition of the 'progressive' genre? If I have that, then I might be able to better understand the validity/incorrectness of my statements.

However, I will say Dark Side of the Moon was a pretty damn proggy album, in all aspects, except possibly the difficulty of the actual pieces. It's just Floyd's other stuff was, not as proggy? As I'd say, I'd need the definition that you guys go by.

Last edited by Classic Rock Junkie on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next