DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Top 10 Songs By Popular Rock Artists
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:44 pm 

A thread for discussion and creation of these lists
http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artist-1ten.html

This is not a place for lists of your personal favorite songs by these artists
These lists are created with a criteria. For a thread for creating and discussing personal favorites, go here.

Post subject: Re: Top 10 Songs By Popular Rock Artists
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:02 pm 

Mew:

1. Am I Wry? No
2. Special
3. Comforting Sounds
4. The Zookeeper's Boy
5. Introducing Palace Players
6. 156
7. Snow Brigade
8. Why Are You Looking Grave?
9. She Came Home For Christmas
10. Beach

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:29 pm 

Slowdive:
1. Alison
2. Dagger
3. Catch The Breeze
4. Morningrise
5. When The Sun Hits
6. Rutti
7. Machine Gun
8. Avalyn I
9. Souvlaki Space Station
10. Blue Skied an' Clear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:21 am 

I think that Bon Jovi's list liika quite empty without "Dry County". During its release, it cracked high into Billboard, and is often being called the band's best effort and masterpiece.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:31 am 

Timitzii wrote:
I think that Bon Jovi's list liika quite empty without "Dry County". During its release, it cracked high into Billboard, and is often being called the band's best effort and masterpiece.

It didn't chart in the US, although it hit the top ten in the UK. It's on the Rock Epics list, BTW.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:42 am 

1. Rockin' In The Free World
2. Ohio (CSNY)
3. Like A Hurricane
4. Cinnamon Girl
5. The Needle And The Damage Done
6. Southern Man
7. Cortez The Killer
8. Heart Of Gold
9. Old Man
10. Down By The River

Should Cinnamon Girl, Like a Hurricane and TNATDD really be ahead of Cortez, Heart of Gold and Old Man? Also, where is Hey, Hey, My, My? That's always been one of Neil's most famous songs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:24 pm 

Avery_Island wrote:
2. Ohio (CSNY)
3. Like A Hurricane
4. Cinnamon Girl
6. Southern Man
7. Cortez The Killer
8. Heart Of Gold
9. Old Man
10. Down By The River

Should Cinnamon Girl, Like a Hurricane and TNATDD really be ahead of Cortez, Heart of Gold and Old Man? Also, where is Hey, Hey, My, My? That's always been one of Neil's most famous songs.

"Heart Of Gold" is BY FAR his most famous song. It's the only song by him that mainstream music fans ever heard of. If you listen to top 40 or oldies radio that's the only Neil Young song you're aware of.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:40 pm 

Brett Alan wrote:
Timitzii wrote:

It didn't chart in the US, although it hit the top ten in the UK. It's on the Rock Epics list, BTW.

Ooh, I remembered wrong about Billboard. Still, pretty well from that song to crack into top 10 in UK. (US was pretty much conquered by metal during 90's so no surprise that it didn't chart there.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Bruce wrote:
Avery_Island wrote:
2. Ohio (CSNY)
3. Like A Hurricane
4. Cinnamon Girl
6. Southern Man
7. Cortez The Killer
8. Heart Of Gold
9. Old Man
10. Down By The River

"Heart Of Gold" is BY FAR his most famous song. It's the only song by him that mainstream music fans ever heard of. If you listen to top 40 or oldies radio that's the only Neil Young song you're aware of.

Yeah, I think "Heart of Gold" should be #1. Avery, I agree with some of that. Surely "Hey Hey, My My" should be on there somewhere.

I don't think "Ohio" should be eligible for this list. Neil wrote it and sang it, but it was released as a CSNY song. I think this list should look something like this:

1. Heart of Gold
2. Rockin’ in the Free World
3. Hey Hey, My My
4. Cinnamon Girl
5. Like a Hurricane
6. Southern Man
7. Down by the River
8. Only Love Can Break Your Heart
9. Old Man
10. Cortez the Killer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:40 pm 

Brian wrote:

I don't think "Ohio" should be eligible for this list. Neil wrote it and sang it, but it was released as a CSNY song. I think this list should look something like this:

1. Heart of Gold
3. Hey Hey, My My
4. Cinnamon Girl
5. Like a Hurricane
6. Southern Man
7. Down by the River
9. Old Man
10. Cortez the Killer

Definitely better than the old list, and I agree about leaving out "Ohio". I would definitely put "Southern Man" above "Like a Hurricane" (more popular on radio, and has some additional importance for inspiring one of the biggest AOR records ever as a response), and I think we should try to find room for "After The Goldrush" which is probably his most-covered song. Other than that it's a kick-ass list. :smile:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:29 pm 

Brian wrote:
Yeah, I think "Heart of Gold" should be #1. Avery, I agree with some of that. Surely "Hey Hey, My My" should be on there somewhere.

1. Heart of Gold
3. Hey Hey, My My
4. Cinnamon Girl
5. Like a Hurricane
6. Southern Man
7. Down by the River
9. Old Man
10. Cortez the Killer

While I agree with HOG being #1, I don't think Ohio should be taken off coz it was a CSNY song, because by that logic Layla should be taken off Clapton's list because it was a Derek and the Dominos song.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:21 am 

Not to belittle Derek and the Dominos, but in this instance, I'd say it's okay to include "Layla" as an Eric Clapton song, because the aforementioned group probably isn't important enough to have its own Top 10; whereas, CSN (with and without Young) could work as a single entry, and "Ohio" would better suit their Top 10.

Maybe my logic's screwy, but that's the way I see it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:09 am 

Zach wrote:
Not to belittle Derek and the Dominos, but in this instance, I'd say it's okay to include "Layla" as an Eric Clapton song, because the aforementioned group probably isn't important enough to have its own Top 10; whereas, CSN (with and without Young) could work as a single entry, and "Ohio" would better suit their Top 10.

While Derek and the Dominos aren't really that important, I'd say Ohio is more of a Neil Young song than Layla is an Eric Clapton song.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:49 am 

Brian wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Avery_Island wrote:
2. Ohio (CSNY)
3. Like A Hurricane
4. Cinnamon Girl
6. Southern Man
7. Cortez The Killer
8. Heart Of Gold
9. Old Man
10. Down By The River

1. Heart of Gold
3. Hey Hey, My My
4. Cinnamon Girl
5. Like a Hurricane
6. Southern Man
7. Down by the River
9. Old Man
10. Cortez the Killer

Yeah, I think that is a better looking list, I agree "Heart of Gold" should be #1. That's the only song of his I've ever heard played on the radio as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

Machine Head wrote:
Zach wrote:

While Derek and the Dominos aren't really that important, I'd say Ohio is more of a Neil Young song than Layla is an Eric Clapton song.

Zach's reason is one of the differences in the 2 cases and another difference is that Clapton is the dominant figure of Derek & the Dominoes, while Neil doesn't dominate CSNY, and I think what is eligible should go by the artist rather than by the song. It would be at least somewhat reasonable to make any Derek & the Dominoes song eligible for the Clapton list, where I think almost everyone would agree that it wouldn't make any sense to include CSNY songs that weren't written by Neil on his list. If it were on a song-by-song basis, I don't know how one would determine whether "Ohio" is more of a Young song or "Layla" is more of a Clapton song. Also, if "Ohio" is eligible for Neil's list, should "Mr. Soul" also be eligible?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next