DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martial Arts.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:47 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qPSk53w7iU wins. He, and Anis Cheurfa.
Btw, Vellu was 17 in that video.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:59 pm 

Sick knockout by Silva last night.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:27 pm 

just unbelievable... i thought it was going to be an extremely tight fight.... not even close... first time silva touches him is a knockout.
congrats to bones for earning a title shot, too, it'll be an epic matchup.

also, one more week til fedor...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:44 pm 

As much I love GSP, I really hope the superfight never happens, I just don't think he has the tools to take Silva down. Also yeah, Bones is a damn menace, so fierce. He was chinning Bader at one point.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:54 pm 

yeah i noticed that when he was in the north south position... he was trying to disrupt bader's breathing rhythm.

it depends what shape shogun's in (as i don't think anybody outside of his camp really knows) but i think jones has a really good chance to become the champ.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:50 pm 

Anyone on here practice martial arts? I took Tae Kwon Do for seven years, but I haven't messed with it in a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:50 pm 

:sad:

i think by now two things are obvious... one, the field has caught up - guys are bigger and better.... two, fedor has slipped... for a small heavyweight he gives up way too much - he, like mirko, could easily have fought at 205 had he chosen to cut weight.... but instead of cutting weight, he chooses to go old school and come into the fight OVERweight... then, there's his old school training, which in one sense is refreshing to see, but in another sense, he is behind everyone else (for example, he admits himself he doesn't watch his diet at all)... and finally, he's just gotten older and his injuries have caught up with him - he's definitely lost some of his quickness, and while his strength is about the same, it's not really enough against behemoths like antonio silva... this has nothing to do with martial arts, but also the fact that M1 is so difficult to negotiate with means fedor only fought 3 times in the past 3 years, and this means both cage rust as well as wasting his rapidly-disappearing prime. well, he's supposed to fight 2 or 3 more fights according to his contract... i don't know what he's gonna do... is he going to sit it out again for another year just because the best heavyweight names in strikeforce are involved in the tournament until the end of 2011? or is he going to fight someone like arlovski again (i don't know what his contract status is, but i think it's time for him to retire, i feel for him too...)
edit: an online update says fedor said in the postmatch interview he's retiring... it's heartbreaking...
edit: not surprising he's taking this as a sign of god's will for him to leave the sport.
i don't know if a more high character man has ever been involved in any sport at any time. immensely inspiring...
edit: the announcer said silva weighed 285lbs during the fight.... a 55 lbs difference.... that's like shogun rua (light heavyweight champ) fighting jose aldo (featherwight champ)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:42 am 

Just watched a torrent of the event :cry: Not surprised that hes retiring after that loss, he seemed to be on a downward slope. His loss to werdum never would happened in his prime, this was the guy that stayed in nogueira's guard for 30 minutes and avoided every submission nogueira tried to pull on him. Seems like after he signed with M1 he got worse and started fighting once a year, i remember overeem saying that fedor was up to fight anyone but his management seemed to get in the way a lot. I got the feeling they were more concerned with maintaining his record than fedor was himself. I wont say anymore cause i dont know enough about it all but thats the feeling i got, its a shame he never signed with the UFC where he would of been fighting better opponents and more often. Sucks that hes retired so young, hopefully his reputation isnt too tainted from his past two losses.

Now that fedor is out roidereem is the definitely the favourite to win it now. Im bummed that fedor v overeem never materialised. Gotta say though silva was impressive to say the least, if there is anyone who can beat overeem its silva. If silva can avoid getting overwhelmed on the feet and get it to the ground he can win it and with his size he might be able to take down overeem. Can't say the same for werdum, werdum is a favourite of mine but the only way i see him beating overeem is if overeem makes a bad mistake. Was good to see kharitonov win, havent seen him round in a while.

On a lighter note i really hope GSP/Anderson Silva happens, id have silva winning it but the way sonnen took it to silva gives me the feeling that gsp could do something similar.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:58 pm 

indeed.... werdum and nogueira are extremely similar both in terms of skill and physique... werdum is big nog's clone... but, if anything, he ain't better than nogueira (in their one fight, nogueira won).... i agree that fedor in his prime would have taken apart werdum the same way he did nogueira
the problem with silva is different, it's his size... there was noone like him in pride days (and noone like lesnar or carwin) - guys who have to cut 20, 30, 40 lbs just to make weight, and then are back to having a huge advantage come fight night. also, i don't want to take the low road and call silva a pituitary case, as some do (though his positive test for anabolics was a serious offense), but considering the fact that his head is about twice as big a fedor's (just look at their weigh in photo), i wouldn't be surprised if his skill was also twice or thrice thicker than fedor's or any other mortal's. (and not susprisingly, he's never been knocked out - his one TKO loss was totally arbitrary)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:23 am 

Anyone catch 127? Was a pretty fun card. Mark Hunt's knockout was epic, nice to see him finally win one. BJ surprised me quite a bit, was weird to see him bring it to fitch like that, i was expecting fitch to do his usual thang for 3 rounds; the draw seemed fair enough though if it was a 5 rounder fitch would of won that no question imo. Sucks that g sot lost but siver is pretty awesome i gotta say. Poor form from bisping, not sure how much of an impact that knee to the head had on rivera. Hopefully not too much, it did seem that bisping was going to finish it anyway the way things were going. Ebersold/Lytle was great too, ebersold is one weird guy lol.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:43 pm 

Fuckin RIP Shogun. Just completely outclassed. Disappointing :/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:57 am 

yeah this wasn't the shogun that destroyed machida... then again, jones is better than anyone he'd ever faced before :razz:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:53 pm 

So Silva-Jones needs to happen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:55 pm 

that would be unbelievable... i think i'd even prefer to see that more than silva vs st pierre, or anything else, for that matter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:34 am 

Bit late on this but yeah it was pretty sad to see shogun getting torn apart like that i think the number of injuries has turned him into a shadow of his past self physically, which i guess is the price you pay for training the way he does (or used to). Brb sitting in my room rewatching my old pride dvds :cry: Jones/Silva would be an interesting matchup for sure though i get the feeling that it wont happen.

Found a post on sherdog of the top ranked fighers from the early 00s, found it pretty interesting

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/early- ... s-1171975/

Pele as #1 lightweight, igor for heavyweight, sakuraba for middleweight. Those were the days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next