It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 808 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 54  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:39 am
Posts: 1941
Location: Miami, FL, USA
joe c wrote:
I'm using a couple sites as references and that's one of them. Its not like its finished yet. You people are acting like I raped your baby sister and maybe I did but its just music guys.


It's not just music, it's metal!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:15 pm
Posts: 447
Location: Norway
I recently read a few lines about this band called aTelecine and wondered if anyone were familiar with them? Apparently they feature Sasha Gray, the pornstar, on vocals.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 485
Well, it's not metal, and I don't mean that as in how I don't really consider Faith No More, Tool, Agalloch, Korn or System of a Down metal. You may like them if you like experimental noise, but even then it's probably a stretch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:38 am
Posts: 9747
Location: Blackwater Park
how are agalloch not metal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:15 pm
Posts: 447
Location: Norway
We were talking about aTelecine, Soda. I only heard one song, and that was purely experimental/noise, but the reference from which I heard about them said they also had touches of black metal or something, so I figured they were metal. This is mostly amusing cause of Sasha, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:24 pm
Posts: 35
bloodredchaos wrote:
Well, it's not metal, and I don't mean that as in how I don't really consider Faith No More, Tool, Agalloch, Korn or System of a Down metal. You may like them if you like experimental noise, but even then it's probably a stretch.


Calling it simply experimental noise is a stretch in itself. There are lots of music out there that are experimental with a type of genre but they shouldn't all be in the same category. Maybe calling it experimental metal would make more sense. Music genre needs to evolve. Having everything the same is pointless and boring. Also yeah, how is Agalloch not metal?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:42 pm
Posts: 373
Location: Melbourne, Australia
They (aTelecine) don't call themselves metal on their myspace anyhow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 485
metalmaiden wrote:
bloodredchaos wrote:
Well, it's not metal, and I don't mean that as in how I don't really consider Faith No More, Tool, Agalloch, Korn or System of a Down metal. You may like them if you like experimental noise, but even then it's probably a stretch.


Calling it simply experimental noise is a stretch in itself. There are lots of music out there that are experimental with a type of genre but they shouldn't all be in the same category. Maybe calling it experimental metal would make more sense. Music genre needs to evolve. Having everything the same is pointless and boring. Also yeah, how is Agalloch not metal?



Maybe aTelecine aren't noise (which is a genre that I admittedly have very little knowledge or interest in), but they sure as hell aren't any kind of metal. Maybe they're industrial, ambient or some kind of experimental rock (though nothing I've heard from them is rock). Not everything with loud distorted guitars is metal. None of the songs on their myspace are even close to metal either. You'd think that a metal band would display their metal tracks. Have you even heard their music? Because I have absolutely no idea why you'd think experimental metal is a more suitable tag, unless you think noise isn't an actual genre and I meant it as an insult.

I think Agalloch's case is pretty obvious. "How are they metal?" would be a better question. They have some definite metal moments, such as bits of "Wooden Doors". I'd say they're about 20-30% metal, though you like their music it shouldn't matter. So what if they aren't metal?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:04 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2538
Location: Fairfax, VA
bloodredchaos wrote:
metalmaiden wrote:
bloodredchaos wrote:
Well, it's not metal, and I don't mean that as in how I don't really consider Faith No More, Tool, Agalloch, Korn or System of a Down metal. You may like them if you like experimental noise, but even then it's probably a stretch.


Calling it simply experimental noise is a stretch in itself. There are lots of music out there that are experimental with a type of genre but they shouldn't all be in the same category. Maybe calling it experimental metal would make more sense. Music genre needs to evolve. Having everything the same is pointless and boring. Also yeah, how is Agalloch not metal?



Maybe aTelecine aren't noise (which is a genre that I admittedly have very little knowledge or interest in), but they sure as hell aren't any kind of metal. Maybe they're industrial, ambient or some kind of experimental rock (though nothing I've heard from them is rock). Not everything with loud distorted guitars is metal. None of the songs on their myspace are even close to metal either. You'd think that a metal band would display their metal tracks. Have you even heard their music? Because I have absolutely no idea why you'd think experimental metal is a more suitable tag, unless you think noise isn't an actual genre and I meant it as an insult.

I think Agalloch's case is pretty obvious. "How are they metal?" would be a better question. They have some definite metal moments, such as bits of "Wooden Doors". I'd say they're about 20-30% metal, though you like their music it shouldn't matter. So what if they aren't metal?


They have a lot of folk in them, but they have a lot of Black Metal in them also. For most of us, contains metal = metal, you seem to think differently. I don't mean that as an insult or anything.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:42 pm
Posts: 373
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Then there's elitists who have their different views- though I don't think brc thinks the same way as they do. I'd say Slipknot and The Black Dahlia Murder are more identifiably "metal" than Agalloch or Suicidal Tendencies (though Agalloch would be the only band of them I listen to at all), but plenty of metalheads would get super butthurt if they read that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:24 pm
Posts: 35
bloodredchaos wrote:
metalmaiden wrote:
bloodredchaos wrote:
Well, it's not metal, and I don't mean that as in how I don't really consider Faith No More, Tool, Agalloch, Korn or System of a Down metal. You may like them if you like experimental noise, but even then it's probably a stretch.


Calling it simply experimental noise is a stretch in itself. There are lots of music out there that are experimental with a type of genre but they shouldn't all be in the same category. Maybe calling it experimental metal would make more sense. Music genre needs to evolve. Having everything the same is pointless and boring. Also yeah, how is Agalloch not metal?



Maybe aTelecine aren't noise (which is a genre that I admittedly have very little knowledge or interest in), but they sure as hell aren't any kind of metal. Maybe they're industrial, ambient or some kind of experimental rock (though nothing I've heard from them is rock). Not everything with loud distorted guitars is metal. None of the songs on their myspace are even close to metal either. You'd think that a metal band would display their metal tracks. Have you even heard their music? Because I have absolutely no idea why you'd think experimental metal is a more suitable tag, unless you think noise isn't an actual genre and I meant it as an insult.

I think Agalloch's case is pretty obvious. "How are they metal?" would be a better question. They have some definite metal moments, such as bits of "Wooden Doors". I'd say they're about 20-30% metal, though you like their music it shouldn't matter. So what if they aren't metal?

Well everyone has their opinion. I still believe Agalloch to be a type of folk/black metal. They were also very much influenced by a number of metal bands so I'm pretty sure they identify themselves with that category as well. As for the rest of the bands like Korn, SoaD, Faith No More, and Tool, they were all influenced by either metal or rock bands. I therefore conclude that there music, while it may be experimental, was definitely a hybrid of those two genres.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 485
Ah, I see now that you thought that I was saying that FNM, Korn etc., were experimental noise. I was talking about the actual electronic/experimental/noise/whatever band band Shuure mentioned. I mentioned the other bands because while some people may (wrongly) argue that they play metal, I don't think they would do the same with aTelecine.

Even if you do think Agalloch are metal, they sure as hell aren't black metal. Simply using raspy vocals and occasional tremolo riffs doesn't make you black metal. N'Sync rapped in a few songs. That doesn't make them a rap "hybrid". Agalloch are a rock band with metal influences.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:48 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:50 pm
Posts: 3382
Location: Somewhere Along the Highway
I wouldn't call them a rock band. It depends what album you are listening to, but the have a neofolk/doom metal base with a lot of black metal influence. They do have a handful of purely black metal/atmospheric black metal songs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:21 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2538
Location: Fairfax, VA
bloodredchaos wrote:
Ah, I see now that you thought that I was saying that FNM, Korn etc., were experimental noise. I was talking about the actual electronic/experimental/noise/whatever band band Shuure mentioned. I mentioned the other bands because while some people may (wrongly) argue that they play metal, I don't think they would do the same with aTelecine.

Even if you do think Agalloch are metal, they sure as hell aren't black metal. Simply using raspy vocals and occasional tremolo riffs doesn't make you black metal. N'Sync rapped in a few songs. That doesn't make them a rap "hybrid". Agalloch are a rock band with metal influences.

Having the shriek-like vocals and frequently tremolo picked guitar riffs in order to create a dark atmosphere, along with fast often blast-beat rhythms is basically Black Metal man :lol: . Agalloch contains all of those things. Genres are defined off of common characteristics that the bands under the genre contain, Agalloch has basically all the characteristics of Black Metal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:55 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:50 pm
Posts: 3382
Location: Somewhere Along the Highway
Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 808 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 54  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page