DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Listening To?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:52 pm 

pnoom wrote:
I'm slowly tackling Wagner's Tristan und Isolde (Bernstein recording).

Also listening to a fair amount of Bartok these days, getting more familiar with his work. I have The Miraculous Mandarin, Concerto for Orchestra, Music for Strings Percussion and Celesta, and all of his string quartets.

Tristan is not easy at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:26 pm 

no indeed.

fantastic though

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:56 am 

Hashbrowns wrote:
Brahms is someone I have heard very little of, or at least that I know that I've heard, I just recognize the name. During my last classical phase I was all about symphonies, but more and more I am much more intrigued by the quartets and quintets and all that stuff. I don't really write or talk about classical music a lot (and thus enough), but that was really good.

I'll check out the clarinet sonatas soon and get back to you about them.

I like all sorts of classical music but chamber music is where my heart is, and there's seriously nothing better than Brahms' chamber music. He's been my favorite composer for years and years. I hope you enjoy the experience

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:30 pm 

john17 wrote:
Hashbrowns wrote:
Brahms is someone I have heard very little of, or at least that I know that I've heard, I just recognize the name. During my last classical phase I was all about symphonies, but more and more I am much more intrigued by the quartets and quintets and all that stuff. I don't really write or talk about classical music a lot (and thus enough), but that was really good.

I'll check out the clarinet sonatas soon and get back to you about them.

I like all sorts of classical music but chamber music is where my heart is, and there's seriously nothing better than Brahms' chamber music. He's been my favorite composer for years and years. I hope you enjoy the experience

I need to get more into his chamber stuff. From what I know of his work I think it will probably play to his talents better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:01 pm 

PRELUDE TO THE THIRD ACT OF EDGAR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:23 pm 

Dreww wrote:
PRELUDE TO THE THIRD ACT OF EDGAR

Seeing EDGAR in caps makes me shudder because it makes me thing of the SEC's online database of securities filings. Ick.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:19 pm 

Winterreise and Schwanengesang performed by Thomas Quasthoff. I really love the guy's voice, and great music of course

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:39 pm 

Benjamin Britten - Noye's Fuddle performed by Owen Brannigan, Sheila Rex, Trevor Anthony and the English Chamber Orchestra conducted by Norman Del Mar.

This is a pretty difficult work. I remember listening to it back when I was in undergrad and not really getting it. A lot of the lines are more chanted than sung and the orchestration (other than the drums and voice) is very sparing. But its quite interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:10 pm 

I bought the Bernstein recording of Bizet's Carmen this morning and I'm listening now, and it brings up an interesting issue I have to combat listening to classical music. I put on the prelude and was confronted with a piece of music that's ingrained in my mind from god knows what context, something from my childhood. It's one of those pieces of music you just know without knowing really what it is. And so it's a piece of music that, for me, simply isn't the prelude to some larger work. It's a self-standing piece of music that's connected with my childhood in an innocuous and vanilla sort of way, and I have to train myself now to hear it in a different context. I don't doubt that I'll be able to do it, but it's difficult initially.

And more generally I have to train myself to overcome my natural and unhealthy tendency to regard certain sounds as "corny" or "silly" and see them as part of a larger tradition or context. Also possible, but difficult.

Carmen's pretty good, by the way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:47 pm 

pnoom wrote:
I bought the Bernstein recording of Bizet's Carmen this morning and I'm listening now, and it brings up an interesting issue I have to combat listening to classical music. I put on the prelude and was confronted with a piece of music that's ingrained in my mind from god knows what context, something from my childhood. It's one of those pieces of music you just know without knowing really what it is. And so it's a piece of music that, for me, simply isn't the prelude to some larger work. It's a self-standing piece of music that's connected with my childhood in an innocuous and vanilla sort of way, and I have to train myself now to hear it in a different context. I don't doubt that I'll be able to do it, but it's difficult initially.

And more generally I have to train myself to overcome my natural and unhealthy tendency to regard certain sounds as "corny" or "silly" and see them as part of a larger tradition or context. Also possible, but difficult.

Carmen's pretty good, by the way.

This is a big issue particularly if you don't have a lot of serious exposure young and only hear it in its overwrought vanilla context.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:34 pm 

Love.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:06 pm 

Dreww wrote:

Love.

Yes his piano concertos are excellent. I was listening to his 15th recently and it's fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:47 pm 

Tchaikovsky is fucking majestic.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:46 pm 

Lately Beethoven's 10th Piano Sonata and Prokofiev's 9th Piano Sonata.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:45 am 

Prelude to the 1st Act of The Walkyrie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFn29Y9J ... re=related

Cadenza of the 1st movement of Prokofiev's Piano Conerto No.2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHM6xhfSQ-8 (holy shit)

both over and over again, with Peter and the Wolf and Liszt's Piano Sonata.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 32  Next