DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Handheld Gaming Discussion
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:09 pm 

Thought this would be a pretty good idea for a thread in this forum.

since i'm probably about to buy a DS Lite, I'm probably going to be posting in this thread quite a bit.

Last edited by Ryan on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Handheld Gaming Discussion
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:32 am 
Master of the Universe 2008

3ds, sonn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:30 am 

I don't want a 3DS, and apparently they're a little awkward if you're prone to headaches and/or wear eyeglasses. Also, the two games I want are for the regular DS.

Apparently, the 3DS is supposed to be the successor to the DS Lite and DSi, like how the GBA was to the GBC, but I don't think Nintendo will be discontinuing a cash cow like the non-3D DS line in the next two years.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the Gen Video Games thread, i'll be buying Super Scribblenauts (instead of the original game, per pgm's suggestions because those control problems i've heard about with that original game) and Plants vs. Zombies. P vs. Z is actually coming out this Tuesday for the DS, and unless the reviews I read claim that the controls are awful or something like that, it's a good chance i'll be buying it.

I was thinking about getting Super Mario 64 or New Super Mario Bros., but GameStop still wants way too much money for them. The most i'm willing to spend on a DS game is $25.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:32 am 

You can play ds games on the 3ds, i havent heard any problems with it, and its apparently amazing. Metal gear solid 3 looked great.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:38 am 

I don't really know. I'm mostly buying the DS Lite because its cheap, I want to play Scribblenauts and someone's actually buying it for me.

The big deal killer on the 3DS for me is the lack of Game Boy Advance slot and I have a ton of GBA games. That's also why I didn't want a DSi.

Last edited by Ryan on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:39 am 

Well this is the handheld gaming discussion now, i guess, so im just supporting the 3DS. Definitely going to get it, either right away, or down the road.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:42 am 

Yeah, it looks a really interesting concept. Wikipedia says that it retails in Japan for about 25,000 yen, and I'm probably going to predict that its pricing in the US will be $200. That's pretty decent for the specs on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:50 pm 

I saw some gameplay videos for the DS version of Plants vs. Zombies and it looks like it was made for the Game Boy Advanced. It looks really packed in as if they needed to make the plants and zombies as big as they could. What a shame. So i'll probably just buy Super Scribblenauts when I get that DS Lite.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:24 pm 

So, I finally bought myself a DS Lite and a few games. Should I invest myself in some screen covers? And should I keep storing my games in the clamshell cases they come in?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:45 pm 

So I noticed that the D-pad on my DS Lite was a little loose (as in I could wobble the D-pad a little bit in its cross shaped hole), so I looked on line. Not only is this common and harmless, but its apparently intentional because its supposed to feel like a joystick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:17 pm 

I just bought a flashcart for my 3DS. I loaded on the complete SNES and GBA library. The main reason I bought it was to play the fan translation of Mother 3, which is supposed to be unbelievable.

Speaking of which, why isn't it on the mainsite's list of Greatest GBA Games?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:59 am 

Location: the south is a shithole from which no human decency can escape
Mainly because I didn't want to include games only released in Japan. Once I do that it allows a bunch of Otaku jackasses to jump on me because the list isn't completely dominated by games nobody in the western world cares about.

I usually compensate by making a small list for Japan only games, which I've done with some of my other lists I just haven't done one for GBA yet.

Last edited by boo boo on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:54 pm 

Yeah, but Mother 3 had ridiculous critical acclaim as to the point where a bunch of fans got together and translated the game so that Americans could enjoy it. And within the first few days, it got hundreds of thousands of downloads. It never got a legitimate overseas release, but the one we got ended up being unbelievably successful even without Nintendo.

It's a hell of a game and its overseas popularity reflects that.