DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: What are you playing right now?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:43 pm 

I'm actually not involved with any video game right now other than occasionally playing Left4Dead or Mass effect, but I'm highly anticipating Fifa 11 and can't wait to dig into that.

Post subject: Re: What are you playing right now?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:38 pm 

Played a bit of Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 tonight. It's a big improvement over last year's release, but it's going to take a fair while to get used to.

Other than that I've been playing Sanitarium, an old (1998) point n' click adventure game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:57 pm 

Chrono Trigger (finished): 7 out of 10

Loved this game when I was a kid and still enjoyed it very much, but it's not the spotless masterpiece everyone makes it out to be. It can be quite unbalanced with the gameplay (I waited all this time to get Magnus, and I find that I leveled up my characters so much that he just slows me down), the combat, though probably something special at the time, is boring by today's standards (but fun by generic Final Fantasy standards), the story, though above average for most JRPGs, isn't anything to go crazy over, and the characters range from absolutely generic and boring (robot, nerd girl, princess (I named them Fag, Cunt, and Bitch)) to incrediblybadassoneofthebestinvideogamehistory!!! (cavegirl (I named her Pussy) and Magnus (I called him Anus, hehe)).

But it certainly has a certain charm that kept me playing almost nonstop (beat it in like two days). So really, I can't put my finger on what I like about it, but I'll say it was definitely worth revisiting and it will continue to hold a special place in my heart.

Anyway, this is only my first attempt at reliving my childhood by playing old RPG favorites. Next on my list is Secret Of Mana (which I'm already like 2/5's of the way through) and then Final Fantasy II(IV) (which I played for a couple hours when I first got it and can say I wasn't really impressed).

Actraiser (practically finished): 6 out of 10

On the other hand, here's a game I never played. I didn't think it was possible, but somehow mediocre platformer + mediocre godsim = completely badass addicting game. I'm going to be beating this before I start on Secret of Mana (mostly cause it's so fucking easy). This is just one of those games that, when I'm playing it, I have to finish it, no rest, no food, but meanwhile I'm like, "how elementary". It's like a classic Disney movie where you can find a million things to nitpick, but you just keep watching.

So the first part of this game is the platformer/action game which, while challenging, is ridiculously fucking easy by SNES standards. It's probably normal by today's, which I guess I'd be fine with if it was today, but I guess I psyched myself up too much. It's really tight controls, really basic gameplay, and really easy. What else can I say? Mediocre.

Second part is the godsim which makes the platforming look like Battletoads. You'd have to be a retard to screw this up. But I since I've never played a godsim prior, I was completely hooked at first, but it's starting to get tiresome.

By my calculations, I should have put this game up on my shelf and let it collect dust, but for some reason it's fucking addicting as hell, at least it was, good thing it's almost through cause any longer and it would have overstayed its welcome. There was nothing like this back in the day and still nothing like it today, I think genre mergers like this should be further explored upon cause if a game that combines two mediocre games into one incredibly fun game, just think what two incredibly fun games can do!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:33 pm 

Right now I'm replaying Uncharted 2. Best game on the PS3 hands down.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:54 pm 

that_guy wrote:
Chrono Trigger (finished): 7 out of 10

Loved this game when I was a kid and still enjoyed it very much, but it's not the spotless masterpiece everyone makes it out to be. It can be quite unbalanced with the gameplay (I waited all this time to get Magnus, and I find that I leveled up my characters so much that he just slows me down), the combat, though probably something special at the time, is boring by today's standards (but fun by generic Final Fantasy standards), the story, though above average for most JRPGs, isn't anything to go crazy over, and the characters range from absolutely generic and boring (robot, nerd girl, princess (I named them Fag, Cunt, and Bitch)) to incrediblybadassoneofthebestinvideogamehistory!!! (cavegirl (I named her Pussy) and Magnus (I called him Anus, hehe)).

But it certainly has a certain charm that kept me playing almost nonstop (beat it in like two days). So really, I can't put my finger on what I like about it, but I'll say it was definitely worth revisiting and it will continue to hold a special place in my heart.

Anyway, this is only my first attempt at reliving my childhood by playing old RPG favorites. Next on my list is Secret Of Mana (which I'm already like 2/5's of the way through) and then Final Fantasy II(IV) (which I played for a couple hours when I first got it and can say I wasn't really impressed).

Actraiser (practically finished): 6 out of 10

On the other hand, here's a game I never played. I didn't think it was possible, but somehow mediocre platformer + mediocre godsim = completely badass addicting game. I'm going to be beating this before I start on Secret of Mana (mostly cause it's so fucking easy). This is just one of those games that, when I'm playing it, I have to finish it, no rest, no food, but meanwhile I'm like, "how elementary". It's like a classic Disney movie where you can find a million things to nitpick, but you just keep watching.

So the first part of this game is the platformer/action game which, while challenging, is ridiculously fucking easy by SNES standards. It's probably normal by today's, which I guess I'd be fine with if it was today, but I guess I psyched myself up too much. It's really tight controls, really basic gameplay, and really easy. What else can I say? Mediocre.

Second part is the godsim which makes the platforming look like Battletoads. You'd have to be a retard to screw this up. But I since I've never played a godsim prior, I was completely hooked at first, but it's starting to get tiresome.

By my calculations, I should have put this game up on my shelf and let it collect dust, but for some reason it's fucking addicting as hell, at least it was, good thing it's almost through cause any longer and it would have overstayed its welcome. There was nothing like this back in the day and still nothing like it today, I think genre mergers like this should be further explored upon cause if a game that combines two mediocre games into one incredibly fun game, just think what two incredibly fun games can do!

I always ask myself what kind of people write those absolutely terrible gamefaqs reviews and now I remember.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:18 pm 

And Actraiser fucking ruled you tub of lard.

The platforming elements and god elements are both simple and accessible, that doesn't make them mediocre by any means. But it is a game that's better as a whole than the sum of it's parts, though I really have no complaints about this game, not too easy not too hard, just the right length, good graphics and one of one of the best soundtracks on the SNES.

Oh and how in the fuck are robots and nerdy girls generic RPG party members? Maybe they are cliches now but they were cliches that Chrono Trigger invented.

You pretty much fail at every aspect of video game reviewing, context, explaining the gameplay mechanics, explaining anything really, and most importantly not sounding like one of those gamefaqs reviews concocted by 10 year olds.

God I hate you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:42 pm 

boo boo wrote:
And Actraiser fucking ruled you tub of lard.

The platforming elements and god elements are both simple and accessible, that doesn't make them mediocre by any means. But it is a game that's better as a whole than the sum of it's parts, though I really have no complaints about this game, not too easy not too hard, just the right length, good graphics and one of one of the best soundtracks on the SNES.

Oh and how in the fuck are robots and nerdy girls generic RPG party members? Maybe they are cliches now but they were cliches that Chrono Trigger invented.

You pretty much fail at every aspect of video game reviewing, context, explaining the gameplay mechanics, explaining anything really, and most importantly not sounding like one of those gamefaqs reviews concocted by 10 year olds.

God I hate you.

:lol: Oh, my.

Finally bought Link To The Past, never liked it before, but decided I'd give it another go.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:54 am 

that_guy wrote:
Finally bought Link To The Past, never liked it before, but decided I'd give it another go.

Easily one of my least favourite Zelda games along with the original and Adventure of Link. But then again I love Majora's Mask and most people here seem to hate it...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:06 pm 

LTTP is my favorite, I might even like it more than Ocarina. Fuck you guys.

Majora's Mask is amazing though, anyone who considers that game anything less is fucked up.

Of the main Zelda series, again there isn't really a game I don't like, Adventure's of Link may very well be the weakest but it's still a damn solid adventure platformer that deserves more credit than it gets, it's the Super Mario Bros 2 of the Zelda series in that most of the criticism is just based around the fact that it's not like any other game in the series.

Faxanadu was a similar and better game for the NES though.

Last edited by boo boo on Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:33 pm 

I think Majora's Mask got flak for the same reasons, like people somehow couldn't get their heads around the three day system. I liked it a lot though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:37 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Majora's was fucking awesome. I enjoyed playing that more than OOT.
Wind Waker also gets overlooked way too much, just because of the art style. Easily the most addictive Zelda game, and I can go back to that way easier than even Twilight Princess. Hell, I had just finished replaying WW and had gone to replaying TP, and after finishing I thought "wow, I really could go and do WW again."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:47 pm 

Sherick wrote:
Wind Waker also gets overlooked way too much, just because of the art style. Easily the most addictive Zelda game, and I can go back to that way easier than even Twilight Princess. Hell, I had just finished replaying WW and had gone to replaying TP, and after finishing I thought "wow, I really could go and do WW again."

Yeah Wind Waker was wicked, I find it harder to replay than most Zeldas though, not sure why. Maybe 'cause there's so much to do and yet I'm so lazy. Minish Cap was another I liked that doesn't get mentioned much.

Oh and... right now I'm playing Red Dead Redemption and GTAIV, the latter I'm finding impossible to get in to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:58 pm 

Yeah the portable Zeldas, Link's Awakening, the two Oracles and Minish Cap are all super underrated.

I haven't played Phantom Hourglass, but I have Spirit Tracks and I really like it, it doesn't quite have all the elements (a great soundtrack, a more engaging story) that makes a high tier Zelda game but it's still a good entry in the series, I like that Zelda is actually part of the adventure this time, switching between characters with distinct abillities and weaknesses added a new strategy element and opened the door for some unique and quite challenging puzzles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:05 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Phantom Hourglass is basically Spirit Tracks minus the new things you mentioned.. I didn't enjoy it all too much. I mean it was fun and not a bad play, but for a Zelda game its kinda mediocre. The story was very unintriguing, very sad since I was really looking forward to a WW sequel, and this really didn't satisfy to that end. Maybe they'll make another, more significant continuation.
If you liked Spirit Tracks though, you might like it more than I did.

I also don't care for Zelda with a pencil.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:35 am 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
Sir wrote:
Sherick wrote:

Yeah Wind Waker was wicked, I find it harder to replay than most Zeldas though, not sure why. Maybe 'cause there's so much to do and yet I'm so lazy. Minish Cap was another I liked that doesn't get mentioned much.

Oh and... right now I'm playing Red Dead Redemption and GTAIV, the latter I'm finding impossible to get in to.

I think Redemption is a far superior game to GTAIV. GTA was great, but Redemption is way more immersive, is way more unique (at least in my experience), and is just way more fun. I've beaten both games, Redemption more recently, and I'm much more likely to go back and play that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61  Next