DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Angry Video Game Nerd
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:26 am 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
I really enjoy most of AVGN's reviews. And even when I don't find him especially funny, I still find him really likable. I think it's because he always comes across as genuine and honest... I can't stand the Nostalgia Critic's humor, but nothing against him. AVGN's just definitely my favorite internet critic.

For some reason, I always laugh when he makes this face (couldn't find one w/o Weegee):

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:42 am 

This guy gets his own thread because he swears at rip off video games and makes 100 shit and ass references an episode?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:13 am 

He doesn't do those as much anymore, when he does it feels like fanservice.

Overall his reviewing style has improved because he comes off as being honest and natural and not forced and desperate like his many imitators. Even when he's doing really silly stuff, beating up guys in costumes and shit, you get the sense that he has fun with it and doesn't just do it because he feels like he has to.

As for the Nostalgia Critic, I have mixed opinions about him, if you've ever seen him out of character he actually seems like a pretty nice and intelligent guy. I find that sometimes his cartoony over the top delivery works and other times it doesn't, his jokes are pretty hit and miss, but I still watch him.

I don't always agree with him for sure, Space Jam wasn't bad at all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:48 pm 

boo boo wrote:
I think NC is at his worst when he decides to have someone collaborate with him, especially Spoony, I fucking hate that guy.

Really? I think NC is better when he has someone to bounce off of. I loved the Superman IV review with linkara, the Battlefield Earth review with Spoony and the Alone In The Dark review with both people.

That being said, Spoony has become an insufferable twat lately. I'm glad he's been having so many health problems and I hope someone kicks him in the mouth at his next con.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:07 am 

Linkara is alright, he has a likable nerd quality about him. Spoony just comes off as an obnoxious prick, I personally think he ruined the Battlefield Earth video, which was otherwise entertaining, his character skits are just awful.

That Leprechaun review with that Cinema Snob guy was pretty lame too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:19 pm 

Speaking of crossovers, James was in Spoony's "Deadliest Character" segment defending MechaGodzilla last night.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:20 pm 

I'm conflicted about James, he's a likable guy, but I think he should be given some serious harsh punishment for influencing all these shitty ripoffs on YouTube.

Here's a good example.

GRR THIS GAME IS SO BAD CUZ IT MAKES NO SENSE WHY YOU SHOOT FIREBALLS WHY THERE'S DOORS YOU CANT GO INTO WHAT DOES THIS THING DO WHAT DOES THAT DO OMG REUSING SPRITES AND RESPAWNING ENEMIES ON A NES GAME? THAT'S UNFORGIVABLE OMG KKK AND HITLER JOKES I'M SO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!11!!!!

Never before have I heard someone spew out so many stupid fucking reasons that aren't reasons at all for why the game is bad, and btw, it isn't.

Not taking the time to learn the mechanics of a game =/= OMG TERRIBLE GAME

And the amount of "you're awesome, do more of these" comments this guy gets is just sickening, these people are actually developing fanbases. :ugh:

Even worse when these morons imitate these other morons and talk crap about games they haven't even played. Unlike James himself, all these tools trying to cash in on his formula are completely ignorant about the games they review and thus they appeal to people who are completely ignorant about these kinds of games that get the "shit" label just because they're hard or eccentric.

James knows bad games, these people don't.

Last edited by boo boo on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:50 pm 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
Yeah, I pretty much totally agree with you, Boobs. James rarely criticizes a game just because it's difficult.. Though he will criticize them for being impossible (like Silver Surfer). He's also good at picking out the motivations behind games, and how the designers' thought processes can be so flawed.

Karnov, btw, is a really good game. Really hard, but very good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:06 pm 

Oh fucking great this idiot is arguing with me on Youtube now.

I'm gonna get a billion thumbs down now and there will be a bunch of idiot kids hopping on this guy's useless middle aged cock saying "LOL FAIL!!!"

The first thing I'm gonna do when I get my GED is figure out how to destroy the internet.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:19 pm 

Seriously watch some of this guy's other videos just for curiosity's sake. He's not the worst I've seen by any means, but still pretty goddamn bad.

STRUCTURE! REVIEWS NEED STRUCTURE! USE IT!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:50 pm 

boo boo wrote:
Seriously watch some of this guy's other videos just for curiosity's sake. He's not the worst I've seen by any means, but still pretty goddamn bad.

STRUCTURE! REVIEWS NEED STRUCTURE! USE IT!

Oh man that was terrible. I can't believe he dares to call those reviews. I don't think he actually reviews games, he just makes fun of attacks, sound effects and enemies (and poorly). He has some kind of following, really? This is some terrible amateur YouTube shit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:40 pm 

Yeah I especially cringed at the Karnov video where he makes Nazi and KKK jokes for no reason. Makes AVGN seem like the height of sophisticated humor. And that guy holds the world record for most fecal jokes.

The Moonwalker part is just him poking fun at the campy nature of it but never goes into any detail about why it's a terrible game as he claimed it to be. The Spiderman portion doesn't qualify as a review at all, because despite showing you the gameplay he's not even talking about the fucking game just asking people weither he should get a PS3 or a 360 (totally relevant).

Seriously not even The Irate Gamer is that poorly put together.

Anyway. Moonwalker and Spiderman are both very flawed games but I wouldn't call them terrible by any means, I find both of them enjoyable, Moonwalker because it's so charming and bizarre and it has good 16 bit renditions of Jackson's music, and Spiderman because you get to use your wall climbing and webslinging abillities a lot.

He has a video where he trashes Crystalis too, now that's just taking the wrongness to a whole new fucking level.

One reason I can't stand most so called "gamers" (besides them being total buffoons) is that they have little respect for the effort it takes to make a video game. For that reason I don't like to throw the term "bad game" loosely. Most games that are well known are at least competent. But because it's all people know a lot of people decide the games they don't like must therefore be badly made games.

I hate that kind of logic. I mean, I've made it terribly clear how modern FPS games can go fuck themselves but I wouldn't call them bad games either.

Bebe's Kids for the SNES is a bad game.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:45 pm 

So here's an example of a really good AVGN video. He keeps the shit jokes to a minimum, but there's still a lot of funny moments and, at its core, it's a video game review. He points out valid flaws in the games while still giving even the worst game some credit for the few things it got right. I find his videos like this one to be his best, where he really comes across as an expert in playing video games while being honest about the games he plays and still very funny.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:59 pm 

Yeah that's a great one. Some of my other favorite ones by him are Silver Surfer, Batman, Superman 64, Terminator, Rambo and Dick Tracy. Actually it seems like whenever he does something superhero/action film/horror related that's where he lets his nerdiness really shine.

I really enjoyed his Castlevania perspective (and he did a really good job of summing up what makes the series great) and his reviews of the Ninja Gaiden games and Zelda 2 because even when reviewing good games he manages to be entertaining, and he can nitpick about those games without resorting to calling them shit like a lot of idiots on Youtube who pretty much write off most old school games for their difficulty.

Last edited by boo boo on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:04 pm 

His best review was Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. Then again it's pretty hard to make an unfunny video review of that game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next