It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: The Angry Video Game Nerd
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:23 pm 

Discuss.

Things have been 'meh' with his videos recently, but his early and mid-here-and-there stuff is still hilarious. He's practically changed the way I curse for the better.

Post subject: Re: The Angry Video Game Nerd
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:09 am 

If anything I think he's improved a lot over the years, in his earliest videos he didn't really elaborate on the gameplay very well which is something he admits to today. Today he does it very well and in a more entertaining manner than most video game reviewers, who suck horribly at it.

I think he's at his best when he sticks to describing the gameplay and dispensing his nerdy trivia. He's a bit more casual and less forced now. It's better when his outbursts are something he builds up to with good timing instead of flipping out right from the start.

That's one of the things that makes so many of his immitators so fucking unbearable, that and they don't know how to use a mic or know a goddamn thing about video games let alone how to describe them.

Overall I can't help but like the guy, especially with his nerdy obsession with old cheesy monster movies. I just wish he didn't spawn so many terrible ripoffs that flood YouTube like a goddamn epidemic.

Like The Irate Gamer, why does that stupid fatass still make videos again?

Last edited by boo boo on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:46 am 

I like Zero Punctuation better, but I still can't miss a new AVGN.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:34 am 

I don't get the point of comparing them. They're completely different. AVGN's opinions for the most part are genuinely his opinions. And he sticks to trashing games that nobody in their right mind would defend.

Yahtzee on the other hand is just a brilliant troll.

Last edited by boo boo on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:38 am 

boo boo wrote:
I don't get the point of comparing them.

They're both in the same business?

Did anyone here they're working on an AVGN movie? It's suppose to be in the same vein as Wayne's World. I don't have very high expectations, usually the transition from one medium to film doesn't turn out so well. Anyone see the Whitest Kids U Know movie? Jesus...

I'm curious to know what this guy does for a living. Yahtzee, I think, is a game writer and Nostalgia Critic use to be a cubicle worker, but now that he has his own website, he makes money off of advertising.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:48 am 

Like a lot of people people, I agree the quality hasn't been there with his stuff in the last 3 years or so, but I still like the guy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:13 pm 

Again, I think he's gotten better so I dunno what's up with people saying he's gotten worse. He doesn't overdo the poop jokes and character skits anymore, which I think is wise because the way he flips out while actually reviewing the game is what he does best.

I like that he's broadening his horzions a bit and sometimes reviews good games like the Castlevanias and Ninja Gaidens. Which is a bit risky. But I think he's entertaining even when reviewing games he likes.

that_guy wrote:
I'm curious to know what this guy does for a living. Yahtzee, I think, is a game writer and Nostalgia Critic use to be a cubicle worker, but now that he has his own website, he makes money off of advertising.

I'm quite curious myself, while I imagine he makes a good deal of money from his website I'm pretty sure he has some kind of full time job, especially since he's married.

Last edited by boo boo on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:48 pm 

He's in my top 3 video game critics:

1. Yahtzee
2. Spoony
3. AVGN

I agree with boo boo when it comes to describing the game play and holding back on the expletive-laced rants. When he dispenses of the rants altogether, however, he's a pretty weak reviewer, particularly when it comes to films.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:13 pm 

I actually enjoy his movie reviews, he doesn't come off as being a critic but I don't think he tries to be, he's just a movie nerd who likes what he likes.

Also he's raised my interest in the Godzilla movies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:23 pm 

boo boo wrote:
I actually enjoy his movie reviews, he doesn't come off as being a critic but I don't think he tries to be, he's just a movie nerd who likes what he likes.

Also he's raised my interest in the Godzilla movies.

When I watch his film reviews I certainly get that he likes them a lot, it's just that he's extremely inarticulate when it comes to explaining why. His knowledge of film history is pretty limited, too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:39 pm 

Really? I feel like he's really knowledgable about the films he's into, which just happens to be stuff like horror movies and action films. He certainly doesn't have the most sophisticated taste in the world and he doesn't pretend that he does. I find his unpretentiousness very refreshing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 pm 

He knows at least a decent amount about the films he reviews, but very little about other related films. This wouldn't be a problem if he didn't say things like "this was a really original film, the first to do X" when I could think of several films that did X before it. I can't think of any specific examples, as I haven't seen any of his film reviews in over a year.

Another problem with his film reviews, though I'm much less inclined to hold it against him, is the needless repetition of points. He'll basically make the same couple of points in slightly different ways throughout the entire review. Reviewing stuff you like is fucking hard, though. Even the Nostalgia Critic is guilty of this when he reviews stuff he enjoys.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:01 pm 

I find NC to be more hit and miss, NC has moments that are really funny and clever but he has moments that are REALLY grating as well. And I find he's guilty of some of the things he criticizes films for. Like criticizing actors for mugging for the camera when that is essentially what he does. I also think he gets carried away with the constant references to other videos and other members of the site that make a lot of the jokes inaccessible to people who don't look at all of the site's content.

I think NC is at his worst when he decides to have someone collaborate with him, especially Spoony, I fucking hate that guy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:13 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
I actually enjoy Spoony's wrestling reviews. I was surprised to find how much he knows about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:43 am 

Anyone who hates post-7 Final Fantasy is alright in my book.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next