DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 891 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:07 pm 

pnoom wrote:
John Cheever - The Stories of John Cheever
Friedrich Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Peter Godfrey-Smith - Darwinian Populations and Natural Selection
Kyle Stanford - Exceeding Our Grasp
PAPERS ALL DAY EVERY DAY

+Thomas Kuhn - The Structures of Scientific Revolutions
+James Woodward - Making Things Happen
+More papers

I should finish Nietzsche, Stanford, and Kuhn soon and then my life will look more manageable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:29 pm 

pnoom wrote:
pnoom wrote:
John Cheever - The Stories of John Cheever
Friedrich Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Peter Godfrey-Smith - Darwinian Populations and Natural Selection
Kyle Stanford - Exceeding Our Grasp
PAPERS ALL DAY EVERY DAY

+Thomas Kuhn - The Structures of Scientific Revolutions
+James Woodward - Making Things Happen
+More papers

I should finish Nietzsche, Stanford, and Kuhn soon and then my life will look more manageable.

I thought you already read this. Or maybe i'm thinking of george?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:58 am 

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:11 am 

ignatious wrote:
I thought you already read this. Or maybe i'm thinking of george?

I read it once for myself, then again for a college philosophy of science class, and now again for my graduate philosophy of science class.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:07 pm 

The Tao of Pug by Wilson the Pug w/ Nancy Levine.

will appear in my top 10 in my final list entry in the other thread

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:27 pm 

I recently finished Quiet by Susan Cain, it's a non-fiction book about how American society stigmatizes introversion and imposes the standards of extroverts onto everybody, hindering progress and expression in the process. It's got the degree of bias you expect to find in any book focusing on a disenfranchised group of people, but still an enlightening and validating reading experience. Every page feels like a comforting little hug. I'm sure there are a lot of introverts on any internet forum, so I recommend it to you all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:13 pm 

Just finished:

The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. Devastating and excellently crafted argument about the war on drugs being a new form of racial control. Highly recommended.

Wittengenstein's Mistress by David Markson. I don't know. I think I would have gotten much more out of it were I more familiar with the Tractatus. Will have to read DFW's afterword.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:30 pm 

awesome wrote:
The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. Devastating and excellently crafted argument about the war on drugs being a new form of racial control. Highly recommended.

Been meaning to read that, your rec has bumped up on my things-to-do-list.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:45 pm 

Sweet, let me know what you think

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:44 am 

A thing about John Cheever and Thomas Kuhn: http://dyssebeia.wordpress.com/2012/09/ ... urability/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:21 am 

I read Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer not too long ago and absolutely loved it. I can understand why it might not be everybody's favorite book, but for me it worked wonderfully. It's full of an almost Nietzschean sense of toppling the reigning value system to establish your own. At every turn, Tropic of Cancer challenges our sensibilities. There's the rampant sexuality for one, though this is obviously not as offensive as when it first came out, but underlying that is a deep misogyny - coupled also with a less deep antisemitism for good measure. The narrator of Tropic is not commendable or even really admirable. He's a penniless, womanizing author who bums his way from one place to the next, milking people for as much as they'll give him. Yet at the same time, we must confront that such a person could create a work of such staggering beauty and insight as Tropic ultimately is. It's a book not merely for entertainment. It's not offensive and off-putting in a superficial manner, like a Chuck Palahniuk novel or something, but in a profoundly questioning and undermining way - undermining even the most simple beliefs in the reader ("Womanizing is wrong," e.g.) while shedding light on the search for meaning in a way that almost explodes the whole world into an infinity of new possibilities never before sought.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:43 am 

Hey fuck you I don't have the time or money for that book right now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:39 pm 

:tiphat:

I also finished To the Lighthouse a few days ago. Woolf's is a sort of love-it-or-hate-it style that, when I'm in the mood, is simply vivifying but, when I'm not, is frustrating and tedious. I lost it for a bit and didn't read the book as quickly or smoothly as I would have liked, but I regained my enthusiasm on the final stretch and finished the novel in fine form - and a good thing, too, as it's a very, very good finale. One of my biggest problems when engaging with Woolf is that, as I put it while talking to Drew a few days ago, she doesn't have much patience with her characters. She doesn't hate them, but it seems like she, as an author, is quick to jump on their negative attributes - all through the lens of their own individual streams of thought, of course, but the judgment from Woolf comes through loud and clear. This makes the novel off-putting at times, even downright ugly (though the prose never is), but at the same time Woolf has access to such a clear and concise insight into humanity with which she can whip out a sentence or even a tiny turn of phrase that cuts through all the nonsense and gets right to the heart of the way people function, what motivates them, how they think and perceive the world. She's quite a stunning mind, I think, but her manner of expression will never be one of my favorites.

I also just started Flann O'Brien's At Swim-Two-Birds and so far it's ... odd. Very odd.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:53 pm 

Just started The Death of Ivan Ilyich.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:58 pm 

Just finished the 4 Earthsea books by Ursula Le Guin. In an absolute sense of loss and misery for some reason. i don't think I've ever been moved by a fantasy book as much as this has done. 4 books, all within 700 pages. Agonizingly brilliant writing, and the kid in me just years for so much more, so many questions, it's not even fair. and the last book really really is not meant for children, it's way too powerful in its approach to address social normality to be one for children. Then again, it wasn't intentionally part of the series and was written 20 years later, so i guess it can be isolated.

I really hate reading books cause just about any book i've really liked has gotten me depressed after I finished it, like I'd lost purpose in life, left hollow, with the world I painted in my mind destroyed and leaving me alone to wander about. That feeling usually lasts upto a week, and it really is not pleasant, yet, it's beautiful in the way a tornado is beautiful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 891 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 60  Next