DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:06 pm 

These are what I want for my birthday next year.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:11 am 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
^ http://www.kingjamesbibletrust.org/the- ... ible/music
includes a read aloud version, too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm 

As of right now, I'll be taking an intense lit course next semester to satisfy two graduation requirements. Reading list is:

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Gilgamesh
Hamlet
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Oedipus Rex
The Crying of Lot 49
Waiting for Godot
The Road
Frankenstein
A Modest Proposal (included in a book of Swift's satire)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:27 pm 

I'm thinking of reading Mein Kampf. Is that weird?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 pm 

Happy birthday, Mr Dickens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:17 pm 

"Live all you can; it's a mistake not to. It doesn't so much matter what you do in particular so long as you have your life. If you haven't had that what have you had? I'm too old--too old at any rate for what I see. What one loses one loses; make no mistake about that. Still, we have the illusion of freedom; therefore don't be like me to-day, without the memory of that illusion. I was either, at the right time, too stupid or too intelligent to have it, and now I'm a case of reaction against the mistake. Do what you like so long as you don't make it. For it was a mistake. Live, live!"
- Strether in Henry James' The Ambassadors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:19 pm 

Or as Emerson put it: "Make haste."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:21 pm 

We should have a thread for favourite quotations/segments from literature.

Know it's pretty popular, byt "Rage, rage against the dying of the light" would have to be one of mine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:28 pm 

pnoom wrote:
Or as Emerson put it: "Make haste."

Yes. Emerson and James (especially Awkward Age and on James) have a lot in common. What I particularly like of this carpe diem formulation though is James' emphasis on being either too stupid or too smart to have truly lived, to have truly experienced much of your life. Remarkable insight there, somehow. I will admit when taken out of the context of the novel it seems a bit little more than an aphorism, but in context it's horrifying.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:35 am 

My next LoA volume will probably be a James one. I'll try to get the one with The Ambassadors.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:52 am 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
Quinnsy Lohan wrote:
Happy birthday, Mr Dickens.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/books/762031 ... orld.thtml
i heard a review of "Becoming Dickens: The Invention of a Novelist", By Robert Douglas-Fairhurst

the economist wrote:
He concentrates therefore on the early unsettled years, up to 1838 when, at 26, Dickens decided to sign himself “Charles Dickens”. Until then he had just been “Boz”, a sketch writer and the hugely popular author of “The Pickwick Papers”.

But writing was hardly a proper job. Since the age of 15, he had been racing through more plausible alternatives: from legal clerk, to courtroom and parliamentary shorthand reporter, then on to journalism and ambitions in the theatre. Mr Douglas-Fairhurst’s early cut-off date enables him to slow these years down, to listen for the echoes between the life and the writings and to draw on a broad range of contemporary references.

sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:42 am 

THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO WRITING BETTER THAN YOU NORMALLY DO.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:39 am 

The "Learn from the masters" bit is stupid.

On the whole, can't really tell if it's trying to be funny or serious. It fails pretty badly at both.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:19 am 

anyone of you guys read Norman Mailer? I've always ibeen nterested, but not quite found the motivation to make the jump. last month of summer may be the time to do it, though.

Last edited by ignatious on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:38 am 

Mailer is unfashionable now and the man is obviously a lout, wrong about many things, but I enjoy reading him. The best thing to get is his collection Advertisements for Myself. It's a collection of his early shorter works (some immature, some great) and bolded self-commentary, most of which is in itself as entertaining and revealing as the official works themselves. His greatest single achievement is collected in it: "The White Negro", basically the definitive statement on midcentury hipsterdom as far as I'm concerned (with out a doubt a more honest and powerful literary encapsulation than anything written by the Beats). As for his greatest longer works I'd say Armies of the Night is by far the best that I've read, with Why Are We In Vietnam coming in second. I started reading Ancient Evenings and The Executioner's Song and thought they were very good but I didn't have the motivation or time to finish either of them.

Richard Poirier has some great lit crit on Mailer's works. It would be worth checking out your library to see if it has any.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next