DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Street Fighter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:18 pm 

Street Fighter (1987)
Street Fighter 2010 (1990)
Street Fighter 2 - The World Warrior (1991)
Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition (1992)
Street Fighter II' Turbo / Street Fighter II' - Hyper Fighting (1992)
Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers (1993)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo / Super Street Fighter II X - Grand Master Challenge (1994)
Street Fighter - The Movie (1995) give the Saturn version a try, though
Street Fighter II: The Interactive Movie (1995)
Street Fighter Alpha - Warriors' Dreams / Street Fighter Zero (1995)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 / Street Fighter Zero 2 (1996)

Street Fighter EX (1996)
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (1996)
X-Men vs. Street Fighter (1996)
Street Fighter EX Plus (1997)
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha (1997)
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter (1997)
Street Fighter III: New Generation (1997)
Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix (1997)
Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact - Giant Attack (1997)
Street Fighter EX2 (1998)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 / Street Fighter Zero 3 (1998)
Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes (1999)
Street Fighter EX2 Plus (1999)
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Fight for the Future (1999)
SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium (1999)
Street Fighter EX3 (2000)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (2000)
Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight (2000)
Capcom vs. SNK Pro (2000)
Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium (2001)
Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO (2002)
SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos (2003)
Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition (2004)
Namco × Capcom (2005)
Street Fighter IV (2008)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (2008)
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (2008)
Super Street Fighter IV (2010)
Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (2011)
Street Fighter X Tekken (TBA)

Recommended First Play: Street Fighter II - The World Warrior (Arcade Version)

Last edited by that_guy on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Street Fighter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:34 pm 

Why aren't you rating the arcade versions?

Also you should bold Special Champion Edition for the Genesis, it's a fantastic port that offers two modes, one based on Champion Edition and one based on Turbo (and it offers more speed settings than the SNES version of Turbo), and it has a group mode that makes it a very unique version of the game.

It's a favorite among Sega Genesis fans.

Alpha 1 should be bolded. Street Fighter IV should be red bolded, even if Super SFIV makes it obsolete.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:42 pm 

boo boo wrote:
Why aren't you rating the arcade versions?

Also you should bold Special Champion Edition for the Genesis, it's a fantastic port that offers two modes, one based on Champion Edition and one based on Dash, and it has a group mode that makes it a very unique version of the game. It's a favorite among Sega Genesis fans.

Because then I'd have to organize all the games by console which I was not nor will ever be willing to do, I mean, seriously, I'm not even willing to put forth that much effort for a school project.

I did bold that one, there's two Championship games for Sega Genesis, I bolded the latter one because I believe it had the Turbo mode, which at the time was considered the closest you'll get to the arcade (and lots of folks believe the SNES version to be a broken translation, though I still have that one in the same tier as the highly superior Genesis version only because it's considered a must have for the SNES, so I don't know what the fuck I'm doing). I originally orange bolded that one before I decided that the tier rankings should be based upon how well they adapted the original arcade versions, which I found the only ones that are considered better translations were Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Third Strike for the Dreamcast.

I just assumed everyone else would assume the arcade versions were the dominate ones, so I didn't bother ranking them. It's very difficult to rank these games seeing they have so many translations that are so incredibly different from one another. For instance, SF - The Movie for arcade and PS are considered some of the worst fighting games in history, but the Saturn version is considered a pretty damn solid game (but nothing compared to the other games, so I only regular bolded it instead of oranged it, something just wouldn't smell right had I done that).

EDIT: Oh wait, there is only one Genesis Street Fighter, didn't realize they were the same fucking game, just different modes. Damn, that's confusing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:29 am 
Master of the Universe 2008

Oranges : Sf2 tf, 3rd strike, maybe alpha.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:35 am 

Chemical Ali wrote:

Are you Chem's retarded brother or something? Does he know you're using his computer?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:38 am 

that_guy wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:

Are you Chem's retarded brother or something? Does he know you're using his computer?

Why? I know you already oranged 3rd strike, im just saying this incase discussion comes up again so that my view is heard. And Street fighter II turbo fighting is the most acclaimed street fighter game of all time, usually ranking as one of, if not the highest fighting game in most lists; EGM, nintendo power, game informer, gamepro.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:46 am 

Well, as I tried to explain before, I tried to list all the Street Fighter games because each translation be it for any console greatly differs and I wasn't about to organize by system, so I organized by series instead and listed the console ports (well, Wikipedia did it, but I did the copying and pasting). I see the arcade versions as omnipotent games that shouldn't ranked with the likes of their console counter parts, so I just tell everyone the arcade version is the version to go with, then I just did tiers for the console ports, orange bolding the ones that are considered to be better than the arcade versions (which only appear to be 3rd Strike and MvC2 for the Dreamcast, I originally oranged Championship Addition which is the Turbo version for the Genesis, but even though it's the closest thing to the arcade any of the console ports ever got to the arcade version of Street Fighter Turbo, it lacks in sound and graphics, so I just redded it).

So apparently my method's too confusing for everyone, so I'll just go back and simplify the format. Course this means I'm gonna have to unbold the Saturn version of Street Fighter - The Movie, and that really pisses me off.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:48 am 

its not confusing, its just wrong, im saying. Turbo hyper fighting is considerd to be, ON THE SNES, the greatest fighting game of all time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:11 am 

Chemical Ali wrote:
its not confusing, its just wrong, im saying. Turbo hyper fighting is considerd to be, ON THE SNES, the greatest fighting game of all time.

Oh, my confused little friend, most enthusiasts of this game treat Turbo for the SNES as a failed/broken translation of the game, but because it's the best version on the most popular console of the time, it's considered great. The Genesis version (Championship Edition) is the most beloved console translation. Now, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, which was only in arcades is probably the greatest fight game of all-time that you're thinking about (actually, the original World Warrior is probably the greatest but is considered obsolete nowadays, it's probably more accurate to call SSF2T the best fighting game of all-time and/or the best version of the SF2 series), which I oranged in my new tier.

I have to know, though, are we grading on "greatness" or "bestness", cause I've been grading mostly on bestness, I take greatness into account, which is why I bolded The World Warrior even though its obsolete, and I really don't think I should red Street Fighter 4 when I can red Super Street Fighter 4.

See, it's very difficult to do a tier on these games cause the ones that are the greatest aren't the one's people play and obsess over nowadays.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:27 am 

Btw, boo boo, before you say something about Champion Edition not being bold at all, just know that the Genesis Champion Edition is a combination of Champion Edition and Hyper Fighting (which I did bold red).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:56 pm 

Special Champion Edition on Genesis > Turbo on SNES

Genesis version doesn't have as many framerate issues (always one of the Gens advantages over the SNES) and IMO the music sounds a lot better and closer to the arcade, while Turbo on SNES sounds really washed out, the sound effects are better though. The games looks great on both systems which have several visual differences.

But overall the Genesis version is superior, it plays better (IMO the 6 button Genesis controller works better for fighting games than the standard SNES controller) and has a greater variety of modes.

I do prefer the SNES version of Super SFII to the Genesis version, and Super is definitely my favorite version of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:38 pm 

Well, yeah, most hardcores of the series piss on the SNES Turbo name, but since I went with a general listing for the series (not console specific), everyone wins. Cept for the Saturn version of Street Fighter - The Movie...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:57 pm 

I've actually heard that the Saturn version of Street Fighter: The Movie is pretty decent, it isn't like the arcade version at all and it actually plays a bit like Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:04 am 

Who is everyone? Genesis fanboys? because every list that mentions a streetfighter has the turbo as being the highest. Best selling sf game of all time. Also its considered the most balanced of any of the sfII versions.

Gameinformer 100
Gamepro top 15 games of all time
EGM 100, 150 and 200th issue lists.
Nintendo power 100th

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:22 am 

Regardless of which one is more acclaimed, Special Champion Edition is held in very high regard.

I've definitely heard more negative things said about Turbo. As far as the SNES Street Fighters go I definitely prefer Super, for several reasons, bigger cast, better AI, better graphics, less choppy framerate and a greatly improved soundtrack, and the latter is an important part of the SFII experience for me.

Also Game Informer are idiots, they don't even proof read their shit. And Nintendo Power might not be the best source when it comes to comparing Nintendo and Sega games objectively.

Last edited by boo boo on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next