It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Metal Songs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:14 pm 

Can someone explain impact of early BS songs? If impact means short term then there were not that many metal bands which were 'impacted' by BS and all of early BS importance lays in influence. Am I right?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:38 am 

Sherick wrote:
I know at least three people who are not metalheads who own Iron Maiden stuff.

Tbh, I have no idea why you are discussing this. The tangent you went on really has nothing to do with what I said. I simply said that putting so much emphasis on popularity is not good, not in this list at least.

"So much emphasis". There are three criteria (which someone else set). By my estimation that makes it 1/3 of the rating. If you think there is too much emphasis on popularity, get the criteria changed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:42 am 

MJ7 wrote:
Can someone explain impact of early BS songs? If impact means short term then there were not that many metal bands which were 'impacted' by BS and all of early BS importance lays in influence. Am I right?

Only if you buy into the idea, that Black Sabbath was all by themselves as the lone "metal" band until the NWOBHM came along.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:53 am 

Scorpions, Budgie, JP and Rainbow are also considered metal and they're not NWoBHM.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:31 pm 

So you define impact and influence as being a clone of the original band?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:08 am 

No, I'm proving you that BS was not alone in 70s or before NWoBHM as you said.

Your last post was made only to start some kind of flame war or?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:48 pm 

List is HUGELY updated. Added some essential songs, removed some extreme metal, didn't care that much about 'top 10 songs from metal artists' etc. I hope you'll like it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:17 am 

dmille wrote:
So you define impact and influence as being a clone of the original band?

Who cares? The McRib is back!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:04 pm 

.. or it could be Paranoid by Grand Funk Railway ... Take care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rppsj-8KQEo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:59 pm 

MJ7 wrote:
No, I'm proving you that BS was not alone in 70s or before NWoBHM as you said.

You aren't proving anything to me. I have had many posters from this forum tell me that "metal" started in 79-80 with the NWOBHM. But when I asked why it was called the new wave if there wasn't an original wave that came before it, they never seemed to have an answer.

The impact of Black Sabbath and of Paranoid and of "Paranoid" was that it showed that a band could play that kind of heavy music in 1970 and have major commerical success with it --- on their own terms.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:01 pm 

MJ7 wrote:

No, you're wrong (again). Every Heavy Metal band of the 70s, including their contemporaries and those that came before, were impacted by Sabbath.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:14 am 

dmille wrote:
You aren't proving anything to me

Sorry if you feel owned.
dmille wrote:
The impact of Black Sabbath and of Paranoid and of "Paranoid" was that it showed that a band could play that kind of heavy music in 1970 and have major commerical success with it --- on their own terms.

You're repeating my arguments from my big comparison. I'm glad you learned something.

Early Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer or Ozzy Osbourne impacted more bands than early BS, that's what I was trying to say in my statement.
I will recommend Enderton, H. A Mathematical Introduction to Logic. 2nd edition. San Diego, Cal: Academic Press 2001. Just for you. I'm not talking about this particular situation. I'm summarizing few pages of our discussion.

Any comments about the list from other users? I modified it a bit, so I was expecting bigger debate :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:56 am 

MJ7 wrote:
Subject: 100 Greatest Metal Songs

dmille wrote:
MJ7 wrote:

No, you're wrong (again). Every Heavy Metal band of the 70s, including their contemporaries and those that came before, were impacted by Sabbath.

Name me more than 5 metal bands impacted by BS. IMPACT = SHORT TERM.

Wrong again? When was I wrong? Give me a few examples. Don't have any? Too bad, kid.

Why was this sent as a private message? Why was this not in the forum? What is it that you don't want the rest of the readers to know?

And what is up with "kid"? What is that all about? You think you know me?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:10 pm 

MJ7 wrote:
Just don't want to spam topic with your explanation of problems mentioned above. However, I remembered that you wrote me before that you want open discussion so I added post in topic.

I'll repeat once more - if you don't understand what people are saying or you can't make proper arguments (= you don't have anything to say besides empty words) - don't spam.

About the 'kid' thing - I don't think an adult wouldn't understand simple logic. My English is not THAT bad.

Regards,
MJ7.

Sent before seeing post here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:21 pm 

You want me to read a book on logic? How bout you pick up a copy of "English as a First Language"?

Lemmy just start over. I said at the beginning that I wasn't trying to get this list changed. I know better.

For Example, I think songs like these belong on the list:

"Dazed and Confused" by Led Zeppelin
"Gypsy" by Uriah Heep
"Achilles Last Stand" by Zep

If I thought they had a snowball's chance of getting on, I would have suggested it earlier. "Those bands aren't metal, dude". What about the songs? "The bands have to be troo and kvlt for their song to be considered"

This list isn't the real problem. It's my mistake to even bother here. The problem starts with the 100 greatest metal bands list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next