DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Psychedelic Songs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:38 pm 

Here's some release dates on charted hits I think qualify as Psychedelic (or at least hit some trippy psychedelic overtones) for 1965 and 1966:

In terms of release dates

4/9/1965 l The Beatles- Ticket To Ride”
6/5/1965 | The Chiffons - "Nobody Knows What's Going On (in My Mind But Me)" [Laurie 3301]
7/30/1965 l The Kinks- “See My Friends”
12/4/1965 | The Beatles - "Day Tripper" [Capitol 5555]
12/4/1965 l The Beatles- “The Word”
12/4 1965 l The Beatles- “Norwegian Wood”
12/18/1965 | The Five Americans - "I See the Light" [HBR 454]
3/26/1966 l The Yardbirds- “Shapes of Things”
3/26/1966 | The Byrds - "Eight Miles High" [Columbia 43578]
3/26/1966 l The Byrds- “Why”
5/7/1966 l The Rolling Stones- “Paint It Black”
5/7/1966 | The Animals - "Don't Bring Me Down" [MGM 13514]
5/28/1966 | The Beatles - "Rain" [Capitol 5651]
6/18/1966 | The Knickerbockers - "High On Love" [Challenge 59332]
6/25/1966 | The Beatles - "I'm Only Sleeping" [Capitol]
7/2/1966 | The Byrds - "5 D (Fifth Dimension)" [Columbia 43702]
7/16/1966 | Donovan - "Sunshine Superman" [Epic 10045]
7/16/1966 | Love - "7 and 7 Is" [Elektra 45605]
7/16/1966 | Donovan - "Season of the Witch (Part 1)" [Epic]
7/30/1966 | The Cyrkle - "Turn-Down Day" [Columbia 43729]
8/6/1966 | The 13th Floor Elevators - "You're Gonna Miss Me" [IA 107]
8/20/1966 | The Beatles - "I Want to Tell You" [Capitol]
8/20/1966 | The Beatles - "Love You To" [Capitol]
8/20/1966 | The Beatles - "She Said, She Said" [Capitol]
8/20/1966 | The Beatles - "Tomorrow Never Knows" [Capitol]
8/20/1966 | The Trade Winds - "Mind Excursion" [Kama Sutra 212]
8/27/1966 | Count Five - "Psychotic Reaction" [Double Shot 104]
10/29/1966 | The Magic Mushrooms - "It's-a-Happening" [A&M 815]
11/12/1966 | The 13th Floor Elevators - "Reverbaration (Doubt)" [IA
12/10/1966 | The Trade Winds - "Catch Me in the Meadow" [Kama Sutra 218

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:54 pm 

Good selections....some already on the list. I prefer to keep my lists at 100 although I have expanded a few from time to time. For now I thank you for these and they will be considered if I expand the list past the present number.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:03 pm 

Considering the criteria established -instrumental originality, sound exploration, lyrical content, impact & lasting influence-, I'd say "Tomorrow Never Knows" (from 1966, by The Beatles) (currently #2 on the list), could rise to the top position. I suggest a "dummy" comparison between it and the actual #1 song, "The American Metaphysical Circus" (from 1968, by The U.S.A.) for discussional purposes.

Instrumental originality

While both songs are absolutely brilliant and revolutionary, and both are severely multi-layered and vastly texturized and innovative, I personally believe an original use of instrumentation not only would be a stronger asset in Tomorrow Never Knows, but this song's very foundation. In this regard, The American Metaphysical Circus was highly experimental (employing some electronic devices, most notably a ring modulator, a calliope, strings and organ) but nowhere as original as Tomorrow Never Knows was if you consider each song's time of release as a context. In Tomorrow Never Knows, the Beatles used Indian instrumentation, which would soon become a staple of psychedelic rock, whereas the traditional rock instruments were used in absolutely groundbreaking forms (reversed guitar solos, sampled bass and drum patterns) thanks to the extensive use of tape loops (some of which even included mellotron recordings), exploiting and expanding upon how instruments could interact in a recording.

Sound exploration

In my opinion, this one would go to Tomorrow Never Knows, again. I'm arguing for this song as the most important track in psychedelic rock's history, so better substantiate it. The song itself is a milestone, it marks a before and after division when it comes to sound exploration. The importance of tape loops is huge, its very use was an engineering landmark. Lennon's voice was outputted to a Leslie speaker, this was a first from Geoff Emerick, and many, many, bands would do this themselves later for vocal effects, The USA included. From Wikipedia: "Ken Townsend, the studio technical manager, created the first ADT system, taking the signal from the playback and recording heads and delaying them slightly." Yes, delay was introduced to rock music. This song marks the first use of voice double-tracking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow_N ... #Recording <- For reference.

The very impact of Tomorrow Never Knows' explorations are legendary, and, even as innovative as "Circus" was, its use of ring modulators and electronic devices was nowhere as influential as the former.

Lyrical content

Tomorrow Never Knows was the blueprint for psychedelic mind-opening songs in 1966.

"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream", "Lay down all thought, Surrender to the void", "That love is all and love is everyone", "But listen to the color of your dreams", etc.

The American Metaphysical Circus was a great poetical outing, in the same style as "For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite". Truly good, but not as influential.

"At precisely eight-o-five, Doctor Frederick von Meier, Will attempt his famous dive, Through a solid sheet of luminescent fire."

Impact & lasting influence.

Tomorrow Never Knows was a smashing hit, whereas The American Metaphysical Circus introduced electronic instrumentation to rock's expanding sound. For short-term impact, both were good, but I think "Circus" was one of the latter masterpieces in psychedelic music, whereas "Tomorrow" was a milestone, starting point and peak. There goes influence. "Revolver" is today considered one of the greatest albums of all time, whereas The USA's debut album is considered a masterpiece as a whole, yet, for Revolver, most critics note how important "Tomorrow Never Knows" is. The song practically started psychedelic rock as a massive, viable movement, and only Sgt. Pepper's as an album would have as much influence and make an impact as strong as this one song. :mrgreen:

And there's my 2 cents. :tiphat:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:27 am 

afosunah,
Excellant presentation and argument. A very refreshing change from the far too common approach of those who disagree with the lists, (ie:this 'F' list sucks). So thanks for that and check out the new #1.
Rick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:03 pm 

:surprised: Thanks! Great list, by the way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:00 am 

Suggestion: Planet Caravan.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:54 pm 

I dont think that's what Rick has in mind when he thinks of 'psychedelia'.

Sabbath were a metal band.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:21 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
I dont think that's what Rick has in mind when he thinks of 'psychedelia'.

Sabbath were a metal band.

Yes they were a metal band, but it doesn't mean that Planet Caravan isn't a psychedelic song.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:35 pm 

How about some psychedleic soul music on this list?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:54 am 

Bruce,
Have you ever heard a song by Pink Floyd entitled 'Us and Them' ? Nice tune with a lovely saxophone solo. But it doesn't make Pink Floyd a horn band. These 2 examples of what you refer to as psychedelic soul music are wonderful songs all by themselves. I remember them well. No, what these songs represent are the record companies attempt ( at that particular time in music ) to widen the appeal and generate sales for these 2 great bands. No, to include a few isolated references to "staying higher" away from "reality" and to add a very amateurish outro to the Delfonics tune do not qualify as a Psychedelic record. If I were inclined to expand the list ( which I'm not ) I would look more to bands like P-Funk etc etc.
In fact Maggot Brain should have made the list and was on the original with a high placement until repeated complaints to remove them were recieved. Seems some folks felt P-Funk had created their own special niche in music and should not be included. Nevertheless,
I still like 'Sir Nose D Voidoffunk'. Now that one is on my Wacky, Crazy list.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:10 pm 

Rick wrote:
Bruce,
Have you ever heard a song by Pink Floyd entitled 'Us and Them' ? Nice tune with a lovely saxophone solo. But it doesn't make Pink Floyd a horn band. These 2 examples of what you refer to as psychedelic soul music are wonderful songs all by themselves. I remember them well. No, what these songs represent are the record companies attempt ( at that particular time in music ) to widen the appeal and generate sales for these 2 great bands.

On some level, aren't all records attempts to generate commercial success? Do you think the records on your list were not trying to be successful? I don't see what makes The Tempts' psych stuff any more of a market consideration than, say, Donovan or The Animals, both of whom also started out making decidedly non-psychedelic music.

To me there's no question that the late-60s/early 70s Temptations music is classic psychedelia, and more worthy and important that a lot of the stuff on the list. Same goes for some of the Sly & The Family Stone stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:19 pm 

Rick wrote:
Bruce,
Have you ever heard a song by Pink Floyd entitled 'Us and Them' ? Nice tune with a lovely saxophone solo. But it doesn't make Pink Floyd a horn band. These 2 examples of what you refer to as psychedelic soul music are wonderful songs all by themselves. I remember them well. No, what these songs represent are the record companies attempt ( at that particular time in music ) to widen the appeal and generate sales for these 2 great bands. No, to include a few isolated references to "staying higher" away from "reality" and to add a very amateurish outro to the Delfonics tune do not qualify as a Psychedelic record.

I disagree completely, Rick.

This is a list of psychedelic "songs," not Psychedelic "artists."

ALL THAT MATTERS IS WHAT'S COMING OUT OF THE SPEAKERS !!!

If a particular song is psychedelic, it qualifies, no matter who the artist is.

The vast majority of Beatles songs are not psychedelic, why do they qualify?

The Temptations made all psychedelic singles for 2-3 years, at least as long as the Beatles psychedelic period.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:21 pm 

Rick wrote:
No, what these songs represent are the record companies attempt ( at that particular time in music ) to widen the appeal and generate sales for these 2 great bands.

By the way, the Delfonics and Temptations are NOT bands, they are vocal groups. None of the members of either group played any instruments.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:54 pm 

Bruce wrote:
Rick wrote:
No, what these songs represent are the record companies attempt ( at that particular time in music ) to widen the appeal and generate sales for these 2 great bands.

By the way, the Delfonics and Temptations are NOT bands, they are vocal groups. None of the members of either group played any instruments.

Apologies for your confusion and thanks for the reminder regarding the status of those 2 artists as the vocal groups they certainly were and not a band of musicians creating the music of this particular genre by playing their musical instruments. I should have referred you to the list criteria which clearly states that this particular list excludes those artists known as vocal groups specifically with emphasis instead on those songs by artists utilizing the methods set out in the criteria.

Should you want a separate Psychedelic Soul list I would take that request under consideration.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:10 pm 

Rick wrote:
I should have referred you to the list criteria which clearly states that this particular list excludes those artists known as vocal groups

Nice touch. Just like the Republicans with the voters photo ID stuff, you have found a sneaky way to keep out a lot of the black people.

Sly and the Family Stone are not a vocal group, why is there not anything on the list by them?

Last edited by Bruce on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next