DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Retro Gaming Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:40 am 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
boo boo wrote:
The only good modern games are retro games.

All the new Mario, Zelda and Metroid games are terrible because they're in 3D and they're not exactly like the old games.

Which Mega Man game do you recommend I start with? I want to play one but have no idea where to begin.

2 and 3 are considered the absolute high points of the original series, but while the quality varies and is a matter of contention among fans, all the NES games are good. As is MM7 for the SNES.

Also the Mega Man X series, at least the first 5 games.

If you can find Mega Man Anniversary Collection (GC, PS2, Xbox) and Mega Man X Collection (GC, PS2) you should definitely get those.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:23 am 

So the Sonic Collection game for Nintendo Gamecube is pretty awesome, I gotta say. You get all four of the classic Genesis games, and it all comes in one package. Graphics are exactly the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:34 pm 

Yeah Sonic Mega Collection is awesome, but the emulation isn't perfect, the sound can be a little off at times.

I also wish they would have added Sonic CD so I didn't have to buy ANOTHER Sonic collection in order to get that game, oh well.

Have you unlocked Ristar yet? Unlocking it is a bitch, you have to have already unlocked Flicky, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Knuckles in Sonic 2 and Blue Sphere, and you have to load those games 30 times each. It's a pain, but it's worth it, because that game is amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:19 pm 

I started the original Mega Man yesterday.

My god the difficulty of this game must be Capcom's idea of a cruel joke. Someone recommended I start with it and I can't imagine how satisfying it's going to be once I finally get through it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:06 pm 

Yeah I should have warned you about the difficulty of the first game, the sequels are quite easier, thanks in part to the inclusion of a password system, as well as additional abilities and power ups.

NES games almost always tend to be tough if not outright unforgiving, but there is definitely satisfaction to be had in beating them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:59 pm 

K, so I gotta a question for those of you familiar with Mac emulators. I tried using RockNES to play Mother and I got all the way to beating the zoo and reaching level 12 (going on 13) before I decided to shut it off, then came back to find that it didn't save any of my progress. This was very... disturbing.

So do I have to download a separate thing for saving games or something?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:30 pm 

Have you tried save states?

I don't think any NES emulator can save without save states, even for games where you could save your progress due to battery backup (like Zelda).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 pm 

Also, for some games (i'm not sure about Mother/Earthbound Zero - I used save states when I was big into emulation, and that's what I used when I played EB0) you can save in-game just like the original cartridge.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:07 pm 

I used to use Gens for Sega Genesis games, and even for games with save features I still had to use save states, except for Sonic 3, strangely enough. But now I use Kega Fusion and I don't have that problem anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:19 pm 

boo boo wrote:
Have you tried save states?

What are those?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:41 pm 

Go to files and check your drop down menu, there you should be able to find "save state" and "load state" options.

Click "save state" to create a file that saves that exact moment in the game and then store it in whatever folder you want, then all you have to do to go back to where you saved is click "load state", find the folder with the file you created, open the file, and voilà!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:12 pm 

K, so I did some reading up on RockNES and apparently I chose the wrong emulator, it was discontinued years ago. So I switched to this new one called Nestopia and it saves like a regular ol' NES (aside from having to hold down reset when you shut it off). I closed the game and the save file was there, even restarted the computer to make double sure. I'm back in the game!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:27 am 

Ha, I didn't even know that, I used to use VirtualNES and it couldn't save like that.

Nestopia is fantastic, that's the NES emulator I use now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:18 pm 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
I started the original Mega Man yesterday.

My god the difficulty of this game must be Capcom's idea of a cruel joke. Someone recommended I start with it and I can't imagine how satisfying it's going to be once I finally get through it.

I've never beat that one. Mega Man II is much easier. But not easy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:30 am 

Anyone ever play the Sonic game for sega dreamcast? I used to have it.....all I can say is WOW.

Playing this game while buzzed was one of the most beautiful experiences of my life. Lord, the graphics!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next