It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Film criticism
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:45 am 

that_guy wrote:
boo boo wrote:
NChick is just as lousy of a critic as the rest.

I'd hit it though.

Of course she is, but at least she's entertaining and funny, unlike Nostalgia Critic.

I gotta say "NAH SON" to that as well.

To me her rerviewing style is exactly the same as Critic's, only with the addition of annoying pseudo-feminist rants and dimestore Janeane Garafalo mannerisms.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:17 pm 

boo boo wrote:
that_guy wrote:
boo boo wrote:
NChick is just as lousy of a critic as the rest.

I'd hit it though.

Of course she is, but at least she's entertaining and funny, unlike Nostalgia Critic.

I gotta say "NAH SON" to that as well.

To me her rerviewing style is exactly the same as Critic's, only with the addition of annoying pseudo-feminist rants and dimestore Janeane Garafalo mannerisms.

How are they exactly the same? Chick is the only one on the site (at least that I know of) who doesn't use Critic's scene by scene nitpick reviewing style.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:29 pm 

Whatever.

Maybe I just give Nostalgia Critic a pass because he actually had the balls to state the truth about Burton's Batman being better than The Dark Knight.

His shtick can get pretty fucking grating, but I find his taste in films and actual perspective on things to be pretty interesting, the only guy on TGWTG I can say that about.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:44 pm 

You are aware that most of TGWTW don't actually review films, right. They riff on them for 10-20 minutes and then throw out a half-arsed summary at the end. I'd much rather they dispensed with the facade and just got on with the riffing.

Post subject: Re: Stupid film criticism
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:10 am 

ClashWho wrote:
Click me.

Part 2. From 24:49 to 25:10.

I almost died laughing.

I haven't watched this yet, but I feel like jumping in. The one part I liked about the Phantom Menace is the opening scene.

Edit: That explanation is pretty cool, but I guess I just like Jedis.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:50 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
http://www.pajiba.com/think_pieces/the- ... unette.php

I found this to be stupid, but some of the peripheral points he made are kind of neat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:33 pm 

Sherick wrote:
http://www.pajiba.com/think_pieces/the-nolan-brunette.php

I found this to be stupid, but some of the peripheral points he made are kind of neat.

Woof you're right.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:10 pm 

Forgotten Son wrote:
You are aware that most of TGWTW don't actually review films, right. They riff on them for 10-20 minutes and then throw out a half-arsed summary at the end. I'd much rather they dispensed with the facade and just got on with the riffing.

Weirdly, my favorite TGWTG people are either people who barely review things and just do comedy videos (Nash, although he also does Doctor Who reviews as a side to his main two non-review shows) or do analytical reviews (Leon Thomas, JesuOtaku, some of Todd's reviews). I actually consider Todd to be one of the best music critics out there right now, regardless if the reviews are wrapped around a comedy video.

Despite my enjoyment of the site, I really wish TGWTG would find some more people who don't just do comedy review videos. I'd like to see them pick up a purely comedy producer (like a sketch group) or purely analytical, "newspaper-style" critic (they have a few, but they're few and far between).

However, no matter if you hate TGWTG or splinter sites like Reviewtopia or Geekvision, the people who really hate TGWTG to the point where they make hatesites about how much they hate them are worse than any of the pattering fanboys TGWTG attracts. Some the hatesites are basically run by hacks who were turned down by TGWTG (largely because their videos fucking sucked - i've taken a look at some of the videos on some of the hatesites and they're largely whiny garbage) and now believe there's some sort of conspiracy as to why they weren't picked up and try to sabotage everything TGWTG does, including spreading or digging up shit about someone on the site from when they were teenagers and said something stupid).

Also, the whole thing that coalesced into Spoony "leaving" was extremely uncomfortable to watch. I saw that shit happen live on Twitter as it was happening. Its a bit of a long story to tell, but TGWTG/Channel Awesome was absolutely, 100% right in their decision to part ways with Spoony (there's also no conspiracy on Channel Awesome's part as to why it happened. If you were there to see it happening, you know why Spoony's no longer apart of the site and its almost entirely his doing).

Regardless of their quality or how well you think they review stuff, the TGWTG reviewers are largely a group of good people who are doing what they love for a living and care dearly for their fans. None of them in real life are anything like the exaggerated comedy characters they play in their reviews. Everything i've heard about Noah/Spoony at fan gatherings/conventions/etc. from friends of mine paints him as an arrogant, unrepentant prick who clearly just wanted attention.

Last edited by Ryan on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:42 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Maffew said that Spoony was actually a really nice guy, but yeah was still really into himself and milked as much from his panels as possible (he does about 9 every con). But hey, he's really good at it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:10 pm 

piper wrote:
Weirdly, my favorite TGWTG people are either people who barely review things and just do comedy videos (Nash, although he does do those Doctor Who videos) or do analytical reviews (Leon Thomas, JesuOtaku, some of Todd's reviews). I actually consider Todd to be one of the best music critics out there right now, regardless if the reviews are wrapped around a comedy video.

Todd's reviews are great because they are reviews, even if he takes the piss a lot. I quite enjoyed some of the Nostalgia Chick's stuff, until she started to go all over the place with that Dark Nella/Maven of the Eventide shite. I don't much like what JesuOtaku I've seen, even when I agree with her opinions, as she's quite safe and bland. I prefer to get my anime reviews from Sage's Anime Abandon segment, even if he is catastrophically wrong about Grave of the Fireflies.

The Cinema Snob and Brow's Held High are my favourite segments of channel awesome these days.

piper wrote:
Also, the whole thing that coalesced into Spoony "leaving" was extremely uncomfortable to watch. I saw that shit happen live on Twitter as it was happening. Its a bit of a long story to tell, but TGWTG/Channel Awesome was absolutely, 100% right in their decision to part ways with Spoony (there's also no conspiracy on Channel Awesome's part as to why it happened. If you were there to see it happening, you know why Spoony's no longer apart of the site and its almost entirely his doing).

Spoony's a wreck and they had no choice but to fire him from a pure business point of view, but I couldn't help but cheer Spoony on for the most part. ChannelAwesome has become gradually more cliquey as the years have gone by, and less funny as a result. Thus it was hilarious for me to read Spoony's attacks on some of them, even if they were the product of a mental breakdown. At least Spoony - rarely - still puts out top-drawer material. I couldn't help but chuckle at his sarcastic non-apologies directed at JesuOtaku and Obscurus Lupa:

Spoony wrote:
I mean, god, I made a bad joke. I'm fucked up. @JesuOtaku, @Obscurus_Lupa, I'm sorry already. Please take my penis. Burn it.

This is perhaps my favourite exchange from the whole affair:

Obscurus_Lupa wrote:
I beat Checkers with a hose and he looked at me so confused. ADORABLE! =^-^=

Spoony wrote:
Animal abuse! LOL!

Spoony wrote:
I've learned my lesson about what kind of humor's appropriate now!

Spoony wrote:
I can beat a cat with a hose, but I can't rape it. Gotcha.

Comedy gold. Funnier and more perceptive than anything Oscurus Lupa has created, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:13 pm 

I never liked Spooney and I can't blame TGWTG for firing him. Though sticking it up to those assholes deserves some of my respect I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:09 pm 

Forgotten Son wrote:
Spoony wrote:
I mean, god, I made a bad joke. I'm fucked up. @JesuOtaku, @Obscurus_Lupa, I'm sorry already. Please take my penis. Burn it.

He actually wound up apologizing for his comments directed at JesuOtaku shortly after he was fired because she was "the only person involved who handled this maturely" (his words). He lead his fans along to believe that he was being "fired over one tweet" when that was never the case (it was directed at JO, she forgave him for it, but Lupa brought it up later on as an example of the downward spiral in dickishness he'd been going in for several months), and he later admitted as much when he calmed down. Apparently, not only was it his interactions with fans on twitter, but subsequently, those fans wrote complaints to CA and they had to respond as a company - first with a 1 month suspension (which didn't do anything because he basically puts out a new video once every 5 weeks anyway) and then with eventually a mutual decision for him to depart the website, but still appear in crossover videos.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:17 pm 

Anyway, enough with that discussion....

Despite the largely negative reaction TGWTG seems to be getting around here (Forgie withstanding), I personally really enjoy the site and actually think the recent output of some of the other people on the site is more interesting than the Critic's newer videos. He still puts out good stuff, but there's at least 9 or 10 other TGWTG people (notably Oancitizen, the Snob and his friends, CR, Nash, JO, Nostalgia Chick, Todd, JewWario and Ed Glaser) who are putting out consistently better content.

Apparently, this is the general consensus of most of the internet: On the whole, the other people on TGWTG are actually doing better work than Doug right now. Even Film Brain, who I did not like at all when I first started watching TGWTG videos, has put out more videos I like than the Critic this year. Sure, I still like and watch Doug's stuff (Ask TGWTG and the reviews he does as himself are probably his best videos), but they haven't been as funny as they had been for at least a year. Some of the best NC episodes from this year have been crossover reviews because they bring out some of the strong points of the character (and i'm including Mara Wilson's appearance in the "Simple Wish" review in there).

Also, I have no clue how Blockbuster Buster got on TGWTG when he isn't that good, he's redundant to people on the site who already cover the same thing (Primarily Film Brain and Colin Mochrie's son, whose name escapes me right now) and there are far better critics that deserved the spot he has.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:54 am 

Escape to the Movies: The Amazing Spider-Man

Escape to the Movies: Untangling Spider-Man

I love how pissed people are at Bob for this one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:02 pm 

Just went to a forum and saw somebody post this video in their short review of the extended edition of Return of the King...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuT8UeTk4s&feature=player_embedded

...and they said that the clip "summed it up beautifully".

Is it too late to join the Kevin Smith-and-his-fans Hate Train?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 29  Next