DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: 150 Greatest Rock Drummers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:02 pm 

Ahead of Al Jackson? Seriously?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:41 pm 

I moved Al Jackson up because he deserved to be moved up. Also I'm moving Collins down a bit, I put him too high now that I think about it XD. But let me put it this way once again, Harrison is the modern Bill Bruford. His creativity, skill, originality, and versatility are nearly unmatched. He beats Carey in all of those except Originality (they tie in creativity IMO, with maybe a small lead to Harrison). HOWEVER Harrison is extremely innovative as well and gaining influence in the drum world. In the future he may become among the best ever. I highly suggest you check more of him out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:44 pm 

Porc Tree is likely in my top 10 favorite bands and Deadwing has to be in my top 5 favorite albums ever. I LOVE that group.

But I can't help but feel that you're seriously overrating Mr Gavin here, with all due respect. Is he innovating? Hell yes. But his creativity doesn't even come close to Danny Carey imo. I find his playing fairly predictable in terms of what he does. CANNOT say that about Carey.

Major innovation, notable influence, good (but not elite level) creativity, big originality. All in all, good stuff. But ahead of Al Jackson? One of the most important drummers in rock's history?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:04 pm 

Well Jackson destroys in Influence and Innovation, but I don't see him beating Gavin in the other categories. Well, maybe creativity in which case yes he'd be ahead. So yeah I can see Al Jackson moving ahead of him if he beats Gavin in creativity, but idk I find Gavin very creative. Have you seen his jazz playing? Have you seen what he does with his fingers? On top of that he has IMO some of the most unpredictable fills in rock history, I never know what he's gonna do with them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:57 pm 

I would not hesitate to say that Jackson > Gavin in creativity. Again, I have no reason to be biased against Gavin, since he's in one of my fave bands ever.

Haven't heard his outside-of-Porc-Tree stuff, no. But I guess my philosophy is, someone who's well versed in jazz ought to bring all that creativity into rock anyway and be able to be reasonably evaluated talent wise (creativity wise) on the basis of their rock work. You don't need to listen to Bruford or Carey's jazz work, or Reinert for that matter, to know they're something special: they bring that 'special' into their rock playing. So I'm skeptical that listening to Gavin jazz would raise my opinion of his talent/creativity that much, but who knows.

I'm not saying Gavin isn't creative btw. I just don't think he's on the level of Al Jackson or Danny Carey. I do think he's one of the more creative rock drummers ever. But creativity and innovation are two different criteria and while he may be absolutely nuts in innovation, I don't think he's quite at that level in pure creativity. What's he done that touches Heart of the Sunrise, or Indiscipline, or South Side of the Sky, or A Day in the Life, or She Said She Said, or Good Times Bad Times, or Won't Get Fooled Again or...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:54 pm 

I can agree with that. Also no one touches bruford in creativity in rock btw. I was listening to lots of bruford on the way home from Japan, and I just keep getting reminded of how absolutely nuts he is

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:17 pm 

Exactly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:18 pm 

Check out the album "If Summer Had Its Ghosts", speaking of ridiculous Bruford playing and creativity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:28 pm 

Ariel wrote:
I would not hesitate to say that Jackson > Gavin in creativity. Again, I have no reason to be biased against Gavin, since he's in one of my fave bands ever.

Haven't heard his outside-of-Porc-Tree stuff, no. But I guess my philosophy is, someone who's well versed in jazz ought to bring all that creativity into rock anyway and be able to be reasonably evaluated talent wise (creativity wise) on the basis of their rock work. You don't need to listen to Bruford or Carey's jazz work, or Reinert for that matter, to know they're something special: they bring that 'special' into their rock playing. So I'm skeptical that listening to Gavin jazz would raise my opinion of his talent/creativity that much, but who knows.

I'm not saying Gavin isn't creative btw. I just don't think he's on the level of Al Jackson or Danny Carey. I do think he's one of the more creative rock drummers ever. But creativity and innovation are two different criteria and while he may be absolutely nuts in innovation, I don't think he's quite at that level in pure creativity. What's he done that touches Heart of the Sunrise, or Indiscipline, or South Side of the Sky, or A Day in the Life, or She Said She Said, or Good Times Bad Times, or Won't Get Fooled Again or...

You need to check out his stuff with 05Ric.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:50 am 

holy shit yes. Unsettledis fucking nuts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:48 am 

Yeah, his foot control is outrageous.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:11 am 

If you haven't yet seen the solo he played one time on Letterman promoting his and O5Ric's Circles, you must definitely check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:54 am 

Will do for sure.

Are you aware of Akira Jimbo?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:01 pm 

SO back from japan, and my power at home is back on (storm had power down for a week). So I will be back to working lots on this list like before and reviving this sub forum.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:17 am 

I've only heard one performance from Beauford, but MAN was it good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 135  Next