DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guitarists' Den
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:16 am 

Like I Love You is a good one, and with very easy guitar so you can just focus on singing a the same time. Plus it makes ladies panties drop.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:09 am 

AbeVV wrote:
So I'm looking to start recording music. Right now I have FL Studio 10 Producer Edition. Are a microphone and an analog to digital converter the only additional things that I need to start making somewhat quality recordings (besides my amp, guitar, PC, etc)? I ask because I'm not entirely sure from the tutorials that I've read online. Other tutorials often include a mixer, but I'm not really sure that this is necessary since there is already a mixer in FL Studio. Thanks in advance.

Hm, not sure. The way I do it is to simply run my Mesa Quad through the TonePort UX2, straight into the MacBook. Works for me...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:12 am 

cuatro wrote:
Any advice on playing and singing at the same time? I feel like an idiot because I've been playing for almost 7 years now and I haven't ever really learned how. I'm trying now and taking it slow but it's frustrating.

I can't do it myself, but one of my students learned it pretty quickly. Only strumming, tho.

How good are you with playing the songs on guitar, can you do all the position shifts without looking or thinking about them?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:22 pm 

This is beaufitul:

Mahogany strat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:49 pm 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
AbeVV wrote:
So I'm looking to start recording music. Right now I have FL Studio 10 Producer Edition. Are a microphone and an analog to digital converter the only additional things that I need to start making somewhat quality recordings (besides my amp, guitar, PC, etc)? I ask because I'm not entirely sure from the tutorials that I've read online. Other tutorials often include a mixer, but I'm not really sure that this is necessary since there is already a mixer in FL Studio. Thanks in advance.

Hm, not sure. The way I do it is to simply run my Mesa Quad through the TonePort UX2, straight into the MacBook. Works for me...

I'm not sure how the whole pre-amp thing works. Could I plug one into a regular cabinet?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:22 am 

Not on its own. The name implies that it's only a partial amp, you're gonna need a power amp for it to work with a cab. I did that for a while, used a Carvin power amp and my trusty '70s Marshall 2X12 cab, but how am I gonna get any good sound out of it if I can't crank the damn thing? Even cranked, the acoustics of my apartment aren't exactly studio quality, so you get this really weird, distant sound, regardless of where the microphone is placed.

That's just my experience, tho, and it led me to where I am today, with a pre amp that uses the TonePort as basically a power amp and cab simulator. It's strange, but it works. I get positive feedback on the sound, and I can get fat leads without having to get complaints from the neighbors every time I start noodling. The only downside for me is that I can't get long sustain or feedback, the kind you hear from Gary Moore, Malmsteen, Vai, Hendrix, etc. No "Parisienne Walkways" for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:39 pm 

Anyone here ever try playing any Zappa songs, or know any good difficult ones I might not know of.

I also played this a while back, bad quality camera but you can still hear the guitar.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=988076779355

Some pretty annoying out of tune bends at the beggining but hey I was younger :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:13 pm 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
cuatro wrote:
Any advice on playing and singing at the same time? I feel like an idiot because I've been playing for almost 7 years now and I haven't ever really learned how. I'm trying now and taking it slow but it's frustrating.

I can't do it myself, but one of my students learned it pretty quickly. Only strumming, tho.

How good are you with playing the songs on guitar, can you do all the position shifts without looking or thinking about them?

That was it for me. When the guitar part became second nature and I didn't have to think about it, then I could just focus on the singing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:47 pm 

Has anyone here done anything with polychords before? Shit's cray.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 am 

I've been messing about on the Ruokangas website today with the Hellcat model. Does anybody want to give me €7000 so I can buy one?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:46 pm 

Just bought one of these badboys:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:45 pm 

Finally learned to relax the grip on my pick and my picking has become much more accurate for some reason. Is this something that is recommended? For years I just couldn't relax and always held the pick really tight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:26 am 

Oh yes, definitely, a relaxed grip will keep your stamina up, but also look into limiting motions as much as possible. Chris Brooks talks about that in this video, I found it very helpful:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:37 am 

That was great, thanks. He picks a lot like Malmsteen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:03 pm 

Hurray, I know seven basic chords now... they don't sound quite as cool as I've heard them played before and I'm still switching my fingers one at a time, but it's still the best news I've had in a while.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next