It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 140  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Bass Guitarists
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:07 pm 

Ariel wrote:
D.J. wrote:
Quote:
Casady and Lesh both win influence and innovation and creativity. They're also both considerably more important to the history of rock bass.

I don't think they beat JPJ on influence and especially on creativity...just take a listen to JPJ solo work and you'll realize it.

There's no question they beat him in influence, even though he's very influential. As far as creativity goes...yeah I'll have to buy some of his solo albums, thanks for the pointer. (What I've heard really impressed me)

Removed.

Last edited by D.J. on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:28 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:

Killer tune that was only on the U.K. version of the debut album.
Geezer fills in the spaces very nicely.

Unfortunately your link doesn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:32 pm 

Works fine for me... :eh:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:03 pm 

D.J. wrote:
Ariel wrote:
D.J. wrote:
Quote:
Casady and Lesh both win influence and innovation and creativity. They're also both considerably more important to the history of rock bass.

I don't think they beat JPJ on influence and especially on creativity...just take a listen to JPJ solo work and you'll realize it.

There's no question they beat him in influence, even though he's very influential. As far as creativity goes...yeah I'll have to buy some of his solo albums, thanks for the pointer. (What I've heard really impressed me)

You can start listening to this:

Eh I'll have to buy it. Is it a good album? Like worth buying?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:11 pm 

Topic du jour...I'll quote myself:

currently it's:

31. Dave LaRue (Dixie Dregs)
32. Will Lee (session man)
33. Nathan East (Eric Clapton, session man)
34. Verdine White (Earth, Wind & Fire)
35. David Hungate (Toto, session man)
36. Phil Chen (Rod Stewart, session man)
37. Oteil Burbridge (Allman Brothers Band)
38. Freddie Washington (session man)
39. Nathan Watts (session man)
40. Louis Satterfield (Earth Wind & Fire, session man)

possible contenders for the 31-40 range out of names currently on the list (at least the people I think are contenders):

- Palladino
- Wetton
- Lake
- Rutherford
- King
- Watt
- Odum
- Porter
- Gordon
- Glover
- Baker
- Alderete
- Pinnick
- Weeks
- Myung
- Kaye

A PROPOSAL...

Chen stays, and maybe Lee, from the current 30s people. Everyone else goes. That leaves 8-9 spots from 31-40 to be filled.

I SAY we go with...

- Wetton
- Lake
- Rutherford
- Kaye
- King
- Watt
- Odum
- Porter

..and Chen, and maybe Lee. If not Lee, we give the last spot to Myung, Weeks, or Glover.

As far as ordering goes...

This is tough because I don't know enough about most of these guys. I'd say it goes something like this...Wetton and Kaye and King and Porter higher...Odum lower...not sure about the others.

I'm going to do some research right now into these guys more intensively. What do you think about all this though for now?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:45 pm 

So it looks like Lee ain't stayin' top 40, no way, no how. Chen is possible but likely to drop out of that range too, unless someone (Stu) can give a strong argument against that. Can you recommend me some performances of his Stu?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:33 pm 

Ariel wrote:
So it looks like Lee ain't stayin' top 40, no way, no how. Chen is possible but likely to drop out of that range too, unless someone (Stu) can give a strong argument against that. Can you recommend me some performances of his Stu?

Phil Chen...Check out Scatterbrain from Jeff Becks Blow By Blow album.

Also, Phil played on Brian Mays Star Fleet Project also featuring Eddie Van Halen.

Chen was also an original member of The Butts Band...Krieger and Manzareks effort to replace Jim Morrison with The Doors.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:35 pm 

Still not giving Pino the love he deserves. You should check out what they have to say about Pino on the Talk Bass forum. Most agree that Palladino has the tightest groove to come along in the past 30 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:58 am 

Pino's almost certainly top 50 and possibly top 40 tbh. He's indeed a major figure in the instrument's history. Will check out those Chen songs thanks! Honestly Chen may well stay top 40. I think Pino has a stronger case than Lee in terms of good placement on this list btw. Both Pino and Chen are top 40 contenders

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:18 am 

Quote:

Well I like it but that's just subjective...anyway I recommend you to listen it via the youtube link I posted first then you'll decide if to buy it or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:00 pm 

Jones is a bass legend. I dont really see how Casady and Lesh are more influential.
They are definitely more creative, but influence? I just dont see it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:25 pm 

D.J. wrote:
Quote:

Well I like it but that's just subjective...anyway I recommend you to listen it via the youtube link I posted first then you'll decide if to buy it or not.

I'm very uncomfortable with someone having posted a full album online. You know that's illegal, right? I find that to be of questionable morality too as a lot of people read these lists and probably the message boards and might think less of our credibility. It just sort of diminishes what we are trying to do here, you know?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:48 am 

I just posted the link to the album (I didn't upload it on youtube) btw my only intent was to show off JPJ skills helping everyone who wasn't too much familiar with his solo work, so I don't see how this could diminish our work for this list.
Anyway if other people feels uncomfortable with that I'll remove the link above.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:45 pm 

I'm with Boots here, sorry D.J. I like you a lot and this is nothing personal but yeah I buy all my music. Sharing individual songs for the purpose of demonstrating a bassist's style, or even several unrelated songs at a time, I'm totally cool with, we've been doing that forever on here. But a full album, I'd rather buy it!

With that said, I'll be looking for copies of Zooma when I'm out and about :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:03 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Jones is a bass legend. I dont really see how Casady and Lesh are more influential.
They are definitely more creative, but influence? I just dont see it.

JPJ is a bass legend 75% because of the band he was in, not his playing. I love his playing and consider him a candidate for top 20 creativity ever on bass (in rock) - though he's on the margins there - and yeah, that's nothing to scoff at haha. The Lemon Song is one of a handful of songs I think could be considered the definitive rock bass performance EVER. It's a bass masterpiece.

But consider influence. JPJ didn't do anything new. Anything. That kills him compared to the top tier of influence guys. JPJ was basically a Jamerson/Babbitt style blues rock bassist, just a very, very good one. But he didn't break any new ground. The only song I can think of where he really broke new ground was Achilles Last Stand, and it's notable. But in general he was kinda derivative, just very good. You can hear everything he was doing (minus Achilles and a handful of other songs) earlier in Jamerson and Babbitt.

Lesh would possibly get influence over JPJ even if it were just that he's the greatest/most influential jam band bassist by far, but then factor in his insane creativity and the fact that he invented a style all on his own that has been widely influential. It's not that close imo.

Casady was one of the main guys pushing the boundaries of bass in the 60s, shoulder to shoulder with McCartney, Jamerson, and Bruce. Not only did he co-invent 'lead bass' style, but he also was the first bassist I'm aware of to show the world how to do long improvised solos right (along with Bruce), and he was the greatest boundary pusher when it comes to effects use of the 60s generation. He also has a distinctive and highly creative style which has been widely influential -- I hear his fingerprints on lots of later bassists. He mainly gets influence over JPJ for his effects use but also for being one of the inventors of rock bass basically, one of the people on the Mt. Rushmore of bassists (Lesh is there too) who laid the groundwork for everyone else, who invented an important part of rock bass's DNA, and who has extraordinary indirect influence (and also very good direct influence) as a result.

Put differently, it's fairly close between the three (Lesh, Casady, JPJ) in direct influence probably, but throw in indirect influence and there's a significant gap in overall influence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 140  Next