DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: 150 Greatest Rock Drummers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:49 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
His playing in Maiden alone shows all of that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:13 pm 

Ariel wrote:
Can you knock it off? This is getting ridiculous.

Re: Ulrich v McBrain...

Influence: Lars without question.
Innovation: Lars without question. Lars co innovated thrash drumming and is a keystone of the movement.
Creativity: Close. But why can't this go to Lars? Listen to Blackened, The Shortest Straw, etc. from the early years, and Sabbra Cadabra, 2x4, Until it Sleeps etc. from the later years.
Versatility: What's the serious argument for Nicko being more versatile? Lars drastically changed his style mid career. Has Nicko ever changed his style?
Skill: Maiden songs are very simple on drums, Justice era Metallica songs are difficult. What am I missing here?
Originality: Nicko's basically an unusually creative trad metal drummer in terms of style. Lars' Load and Reload and Garage Inc. era playing is so distinctive I couldn't mistake it for anyone else. Going Lars.

I never said it wasn't close in some categories, and I'll admit creativity could go either way. Sticking with Lars on the whole. I'd appreciate a non trivial answer.

I could agree with Lars getting influence and innovation, but Nicko takes everything else.
As for versatility, have you forgotten that video you posted w/McBrain and Bruford? If I hadn't SEEN that performance with my own eyes, I never would've thought it was Nicko playing. It was totally different than his Maiden playing. As for versatility within Maiden, you have Caught Somewhere In Time, Where Eagles Dare, Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner, Mother Russia, Afraid To Shoot Strangers...I mean come on.

And wait a minute, did you just say that Maiden songs are "simple" on drums? Have you ever tried to play Where Eagles Dare or Caught Somewhere In Time?
Granted, I could play Run To The Hills, but that was Clive....
I also used to play along with For Whom The Bell Tolls quite regularly. Incredibly fun song to play to, but very simple.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:39 am 

yeah a lot McBrain's playing with Maiden is far from simple, his compositions are quite complex for standard metal. If we say Lombardo had groove for thrash, McBrain definitely had a feel to his playing that went far beyond general power metal playing, and his drum lines are not in the category of metal I consider to be among the easiest drum lines.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:31 pm 

Junkie, have you seen this? McBrain and Bruford....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:11 pm 

Ariel wrote:
Can you knock it off? This is getting ridiculous.

Re: Ulrich v McBrain...

Influence: Lars without question.
Innovation: Lars without question. Lars co innovated thrash drumming and is a keystone of the movement.
Creativity: Close. But why can't this go to Lars? Listen to Blackened, The Shortest Straw, etc. from the early years, and Sabbra Cadabra, 2x4, Until it Sleeps etc. from the later years.
Versatility: What's the serious argument for Nicko being more versatile? Lars drastically changed his style mid career. Has Nicko ever changed his style?
Skill: Maiden songs are very simple on drums, Justice era Metallica songs are difficult. What am I missing here?
Originality: Nicko's basically an unusually creative trad metal drummer in terms of style. Lars' Load and Reload and Garage Inc. era playing is so distinctive I couldn't mistake it for anyone else. Going Lars.

I never said it wasn't close in some categories, and I'll admit creativity could go either way. Sticking with Lars on the whole. I'd appreciate a non trivial answer.

you really must love Metallica :smile:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:21 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.

Those rolls :parrot:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:17 am 

Yeah that was fuggin' sensational.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:30 pm 

So does everyone like my 26-30? No complaints? And DJ, about Taylor, unfortunately he doesn't score well in Originality, Innovation, or Skill. He does however, do well in creativity and stylistic versatility, but not ahead of the people currently beating him. He score well in Influence though and will most likely beat McBrain though. So after 30, I'm looking at:

31. Portnoy (cause I agree with Sherick's breakdowns)
32. Roger Taylor
33. McBrain

have to check the rest of the names now, but everyone else agree so far?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:43 am 

CRJ, I don't know if you ever have checked this out, anyway I hope you'll join it.

To me that's a good scoring for originality and skills.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:06 am 

Sorry to inform you DJ, I sat through all those videos the whole way through, and I don't see anything remotely skillful or original. I'd say that's some sub part drum stuff even coming from Taylor. He did nothing in all those videos but single stroke rolls over 8th pedals and Bohnam triplets. His single strokes and snare work has very bad dynamic control from what I can tell and was a bit sloppy. His hi hat work was pretty bad in those vids from what I can tell. The only other thing he does is buzz roll and for some reason everyone flips out, buzz rolls are piss easy. Originality, I don't see him doing anything Moon and Bohnam didn't both do before him.

Taylor's a great drummer, but I don't find him particularly original or skillful. I honestly think he's overrated actually, and with those videos it's no offense to you or him of course, I'm just being honest I found the playing in them pretty sub par. Literally same thing over and over, single rolls, 4th/8th pedal, Bohnam triplets, buzz roll. That's it. And I do half that stuff better than him and I've only been playing 2 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:10 am 

Don't you find the second video original? Maybe I'm wrong but did you ever see many other drummers doin it before? and the last video shows off his playing trademark that made him a very distinctive drummer, I still think he's an original player after all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:21 am 

D.J. wrote:
Don't you find the second video original? Maybe I'm wrong but did you ever see many other drummers doin it before? and the last video shows off his playing trademark that made him a very distinctive drummer, I still think he's an original player after all.

what, the bass? The bass is super cool but that's not really drumming it's more gimmicky and no I don't count that, and it doesn't take much skill to do. Then he just does a buzz roll and for some reason everyone loses it. I have never seen anyone do the bass thing I'll give you that, but that's not really anything original with the drums, it's original for drum sticks on bass I guess. He is distinctive in style, but not original. If every drummer was a ripoff then they may as well not be drummers. Ulrich is distinct, but not original. Taylor is, as I said a great drummer, he's VERY creative, has good stylistic versatility, and is quite influential. But originality and skill are just his weak points, and he has nearly no innovation. Then you have people like Tim Alexander who are extremely original, unique, skilled, creative, and influential. Those guys are pushing him down to 31, which btw is a great spot, but I don't see him taking anyone above him. Al Jackson is too influential and innovative with beats and meters, along with being original and having a good deal of creativity. Collins is more skilled, creative, and original, innovation and influence are arguable though Taylor may take influence. Beauford wins everything but influence, and Matt Cameron takes everything but influence.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:38 am 

I'm not quite familiar with the guys above him except for Collins, I think it's overrated on here, what makes him more skillful, creative and original than Taylor?

I think early Queen live and studio work requires some very good skill at least.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:05 pm 

How would you break it down between him and Nicko, CRJ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:39 pm 

what is the latest update of the list?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 135  Next