DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 140  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Bass Guitarists
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:46 pm 

Ssoyd wrote:
StuBass wrote:
Dennis is a friend and a terrific guitarist. Babbitts solo on Scorpio is supposedly the longest bass solo in history on a top 40 record. Have you heard Babbitts extended solo on Scorpio when he sat in with Dave Pomeroys All Bass Orchestra?

Here it is. Not the best sounding recording though. Babbitt's bass is a bit muddy in the mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq-ATlSd-A8

Yeah, I've seen that before...really trippy, an All Bass Orchestra. Pomeroy is a madman. Roy Vogt, playing the lead line on piccolo bass is a real nice guy. He's on the Talk Bass website a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:53 pm 

Ariel wrote:
What if, for now, we reorder the 15-20 area as:

15. Phil Lesh
16. Jack Casady
17. Anthony Jackson
18. John Paul Jones
19. Tim Bogert
20. Billy Sheehan

What do you think of this Stu? (Putting aside the Bootsy issue for a moment)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:04 pm 

Ariel wrote:
Ariel wrote:
What if, for now, we reorder the 15-20 area as:

15. Phil Lesh
16. Jack Casady
17. Anthony Jackson
18. John Paul Jones
19. Tim Bogert
20. Billy Sheehan

What do you think of this Stu? (Putting aside the Bootsy issue for a moment)
:thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:46 pm 

Awesome! Changing it to that ranking on the first page, woot

EDIT: And...done. Sorry DJ...problem with being a mod is you can't please everyone :sad:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:54 pm 

Stu if you modded this list where would you put Boots?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:41 pm 

Ariel wrote:

I'd say low 30's...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 am 

I heard from Babbitts wife Ann today. Bob is receiving excellent care and is putting up one hell of a fight. Bless them all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:45 am 

Ariel wrote:

EDIT: And...done. Sorry DJ...problem with being a mod is you can't please everyone :sad:

It's ok Ariel, I guess being a mod is not easy at all but JPJ vs Casady/Lesh needs to be more deeply analyzed imo.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:07 am 

D.J. wrote:
Ariel wrote:

It's ok Ariel, I guess being a mod is not easy at all but JPJ vs Casady/Lesh needs to be more deeply analyzed imo.

Me thinks there's already enough on this topic for a Doctoral thesis at Julliard...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:59 pm 

StuBass wrote:
Me thinks there's already enough on this topic for a Doctoral thesis at Julliard...

Maybe we should go into deep meditation on this to come up with an answer. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:03 pm 

StuBass wrote:
D.J. wrote:
Ariel wrote:

I was referreing to JPJ being lower than Casady and Lesh, what do you think about that?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:49 pm 

D.J. wrote:
StuBass wrote:
D.J. wrote:
Ariel wrote:

I was referreing to JPJ being lower than Casady and Lesh, what do you think about that?

JPJ is an excellent player and quite iconic. I don't think however that those factors will overcome the recent love affair with Leshady around these parts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:00 pm 

StuBass wrote:
Ariel wrote:

I'd say low 30's...

Okay that's totally biased

StuBass wrote:
I heard from Babbitts wife Ann today. Bob is receiving excellent care and is putting up one hell of a fight. Bless them all.

:smile: Bless them indeed

D.J. wrote:
Ariel wrote:

Casady and Lesh both win influence and innovation and creativity. They're also both considerably more important to the history of rock bass.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:09 pm 

Okay we can't ignore the Bootsy thing forever. As a mod I have to adjudicate.

Our friend with the Bootsy avatar and I both think Bootsy is top 20 or (in his case) top 10.

As a compromise I've suggested we slot him for now one spot ahead of Hamm. I actually think that would be a pretty good spot for him (#23) since there's no reasonable way IMO you could argue Hamm is greater than Boots, but Boots' relative flash/lack of substance (as Stu has pointed out) kind of disqualifies him on a musicians list from being in the elite part of the list I think. Graham and probably Johnson are more important in the history of funk bass (you could even argue Odom is), and Stu is right that in terms of creativity Boots is probably nothing too special if you take his effects pedals away (I don't think creativity with effects in the equation is inferior at all to creativity without effects in the equation, but if someone NEEDS effects to be creative, that does say something I think). Most of Boots' influence comes from his self promotion and image, his own brilliant marketing of himself as Mr Funk Bass. His major claim to fame if you remove all that is his pioneering effects use, which is very important, but not on the level of a Lesh/Casady given that Casady and others already were pioneering effects use before Boots came along.

Happy?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:42 pm 

Quote:
Casady and Lesh both win influence and innovation and creativity. They're also both considerably more important to the history of rock bass.

I don't think they beat JPJ on influence and especially on creativity...just take a listen to JPJ solo work and you'll realize it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 140  Next