DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 205  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:14 am 

pave wrote:
i dont know anything about advanced stats, but i was reading a quick article and it pointed out advanced stats say Jeter isnt great on defense, but that he had the least amount of errors and highest fielding % for anyone who played that many games. also 3rd in double plays turned. idk, like i said idk anything about advanced stats, but i played the game for several years and i dont remember anything too complicated about playing defense. you either stop the ball but not get the out, stop the ball and get the out, or don't stop the ball. hard to imagine needing advanced stats to tell me who is better at that.

Watching Jeter all these years, he always struck me as a slightly above average defensive shortstop who could make an amazing play every once in a while. He pretty consistently makes the play when the ball is near him, but doesn't get to as many balls as some other shortstops. The doubleplay stat is nice, but I wonder how many of those were due to Yankee pitching.

(Also A-Rod was a better defensive shortstop than Jeter).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:13 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

Three reds. Woot woot. Best fielding team fo sho.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:37 pm 

yeah redlegs

and jeter is a sub-par defender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:30 pm 

pave wrote:
i dont know anything about advanced stats, but i was reading a quick article and it pointed out advanced stats say Jeter isnt great on defense, but that he had the least amount of errors and highest fielding % for anyone who played that many games. also 3rd in double plays turned. idk, like i said idk anything about advanced stats, but i played the game for several years and i dont remember anything too complicated about playing defense. you either stop the ball but not get the out, stop the ball and get the out, or don't stop the ball. hard to imagine needing advanced stats to tell me who is better at that.

Jeter has a low error total because he has shit range (and always has) so balls that look like they're too hard to get to (and thus not scored an error) are something that another short stop if he missed would get to and get counted as an error. Jeter before A-Rod got there was pretty much bottom of the barrel on defense (the joke was when he first came into the league that his name was "Past a diving Jeter"). Once A-Rod got there he improved to about league average. A-Rod was certainly the better defensive shortstop but Jeter was the captain. I strongly suspect that when he got there they had him cover more ground in their D.

As far as playing defense shortstop is definitely pretty complicated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:32 pm 

pgm wrote:
pave wrote:

Watching Jeter all these years, he always struck me as a slightly above average defensive shortstop who could make an amazing play every once in a while. He pretty consistently makes the play when the ball is near him, but doesn't get to as many balls as some other shortstops. The doubleplay stat is nice, but I wonder how many of those were due to Yankee pitching.

(Also A-Rod was a better defensive shortstop than Jeter).

The problem being of course that he doesn't make many balls actually be near him. I've always thought that his "amazing" plays are plays that a guy like Tejada in his prime would have made routine. Where Jeter would have made a diving play Tejada would have been right in front of the ball and calmly fielded it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:10 am 

It would be awesome if the Reds traded Johnny Cueto, Yonder Alonso, Mes, and Mike Leake for Ryan Braun. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:24 pm 

lonewolf371 wrote:
It would be awesome if the Reds traded Johnny Cueto, Yonder Alonso, Mes, and Mike Leake for Ryan Braun. Just sayin'.

That would be a terrible trade.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:13 pm 

RustyShackleford wrote:
lonewolf371 wrote:

That would be a terrible trade.

Well his contract makes him one of the best values in baseball. That's what it would take to move him.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:42 pm 

corrections wrote:
The problem being of course that he doesn't make many balls actually be near him. I've always thought that his "amazing" plays are plays that a guy like Tejada in his prime would have made routine. Where Jeter would have made a diving play Tejada would have been right in front of the ball and calmly fielded it.

I mean things like diving into the stands. Jeter certainly has hustle, even if he lacks range.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:34 pm 

hell yeah, Buster Posey.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:41 pm 

batman wrote:
hell yeah, Buster Posey.

Totally deserved it. I have him in a fantasy keeper league, but I'll probably drop him because it seems like there's so many catcher prospects out there right now that someone else will probably come up like him next season.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:24 pm 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
Felix won the Cy Young! Awesome. He definitely deserves it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:44 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

FUCK W.A.R! im all about votto.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:08 pm 

vottolicious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:55 pm 

Pretty big day on the hot stove. Gonzalez to Red Sox, then not. Werth to Nationals, if I'm not mistaken, for 18 mil a year. While picking up a hitter like Werth from a division leader is a good move, I'm afraid they overpaid for him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 205  Next