DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 904 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Video Games Discussion
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:54 pm 

Location: the south is a shithole from which no human decency can escape
Well I don't think early 3D games have aged as well as 2D games, they had to face new challenges.

Nintendo have been a company that pushed graphics forward for a long time. No home console looked as good as the NES when it came out, the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis, the N64 did 3D way better than PS1 or Saturn, and Gamecube was more powerful than PS2 and Dreamcast and almost as powerful as the Xbox.

Not doing a huge upgrade in the graphics was a pretty risky choice for Nintendo and it's not something they ever did before. But I understand why, they're smart enough to know that graphics can't really push gameplay to new levels anymore like they did with the PS1 and N64 consoles, they realised it was more important to come up with new ways one can experience a game.

I think we're at a stage where graphics don't really need to look better than they are now. And developers should focus less on coming up with more realistic graphics and physics and more on gameplay. They should also realise that graphics don't have to be advanced to be aesthetically pleasing.

PS3 and 360 have the potential to create some wonderfully detailed and engaging fantasy worlds, some developers are doing that, but many more choose to make just another game set in the real world, and even though they are a lot more ridiculous than the real world, they sure are a lot browner. That's my issue with all these war themed shooter games, at least Halo has alien environments and stuff.... and also color.

But yeah, I still find Robotron 2084 way more interesting to look at than a lot of the games nowadays with the same dull visual style.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:00 pm 

Sherick wrote:

Yep, Dreamcast.

On second thoughts, it doesn't match up to something like Shenmue 2.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:12 pm 

Who fucking cares. I'm just happy it doesnt look like this anymore.

This is what it looks like now.

Yeah it's clearly a Wii game, but it doesn't look bad at all and it's definitely an improvement. The goal wasn't to make this game look like Modern Warfare 2, just to take a great game and improve it.

I don't care if Goldeneye 007 doesn't look nearly as good as Halo, it's a hell of a lot more fun.

Last edited by boo boo on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:14 pm 

Goldeneye more fun than Halo? :lol: You must be smoking some good shit man. Halo's gameplay is leagues ahead of Goldeneye, or for that matter anything ever released for a Nintendo console.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:18 pm 

IT'S LASER TAG THE VIDEO GAME.

There's nothing brilliant about it.

Goldeneye actually has a fun single player campaign, with serious variation between the levels and the missions so it didn't get too repetitive. One reason I prefer older FPS games is because back then single player campaigns were actually important and not just something half assedly thrown together while the serious effort is put into multiplayer.

Some of us still like to play video games alone you know.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:21 pm 

Halo has much more varied gameplay than Goldeneye. Not even close. It's simply a better game.

The first Halo game was primarily a single player game. And it's still the best first person shooter ever made. If you haven't played it, you can't comment on the gameplay.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:24 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Ooh ooh, I can!

Halo is really fun multiplayer. GoldenEye is a better game. Half-Life is better than both.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:27 pm 

I really do want to check out Half Life and Half Life 2.

Btw how good does The Orange Box run on PC? I've been wanting that thing for a while.

Last edited by boo boo on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:28 pm 

Nah. Half Life was always a terrible game. Very poor shooting mechanics spiced up with platforming and puzzle solving, which would be good if it weren't for the fact that the loose, arcadey movement makes the game completely unsuitable for such things. It's like Prince of Persia with Unreal Tournament's movement mechanics. Half Life 2 was even worse. Utter garbage.

Goldeneye doesn't have a thing on Halo. It has stiff controls, heavily scripted gameplay, poor AI, weapons that completely lack punch, restricted environments, uninteresting mission objectives... Halo's status as the king of first person shooters is esentially inarguable. Ten years on it's controls and fluid gameplay are unmatched. Heck, Halo's AI is better than most games being released today.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:30 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Enough trolling. I'm pretty sure Ali already threw the flag on that.

I don't have Orange Box, so I couldn't tell ya. I wouldn't try running that on my laptop though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:33 pm 

Now I KNOW Half Life must be good.

Platforming and puzzle elements really seem to piss you off, I always see you criticizing games for it. Or anything resembling a game that has more depth to it than Pong, which is also a way more fun game than Halo 3.

You really are just one of those retarded FPS fans who don't know how to do anything other than shoot, camp and shoot some more.

And honestly if I want to do that, I'm perfectly satisfied with games like Goldeneye and Doom. Or better yet shmups, which have always been better than first person shooters and always will be.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:36 pm 

Call it trolling if you want. Half Life's flaws are well known among people who can look at the game objectively. The 2nd game is especially weak in many respects. The AI is worse than in the first game, the weapons completely lack punch, the shooting mechanics are loose, unresponsive and unsatisfying, the character movement is floaty and light... How can you disagree with any of that?

Hey boo boo? Shut the fuck up. I'm a huge fan of puzzle-based games. The problem is that Half Life's entire gameplay mechanics are not geared towards platforming due to their loose and unresponsive nature. This makes the platforming and puzzle-solving sections completely unenjoyable. It doesn't help that they comprise most of the entire f*cking game.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:41 pm 

Curiosity wrote:
Call it trolling if you want. Half Life's flaws are well known among people who can look at the game objectively. The 2nd game is especially weak in many respects. The AI is worse than in the first game, the weapons completely lack punch, the shooting mechanics are loose, unresponsive and unsatisfying, the character movement is floaty and light... How can you disagree with any of that?

Hey boo boo? Shut the fuck up. I'm a huge fan of puzzle-based games. The problem is that Half Life's entire gameplay mechanics are not geared towards platforming due to their loose and unresponsive nature. This makes the platforming and puzzle-solving sections completely unenjoyable. It doesn't help that they comprise most of the entire f*cking game.

Yeah we can't forget that we're talking to Captain Objectivity here. :lol:

Seriously you've been coming off as a rabid 360 fanboy since day one and done nothing but slam good game after good game for a whole variety of preposterously retarded reasons. There's a reason everyone hates you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:43 pm 

Hey, I can't be that much of a fanboy. I own all of the current gen consoles. You only own a Wii. Closed-minded much? I guess some people are content to stick with generic Nintendo platformers that bring absolutely nothing original or exciting to the table.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:48 pm 

BTW, if you want to see a Half Life style game done properly, try Dead Space. It takes an absolutely massive shit on the HL games.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 904 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 61  Next