DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 232  Next
 Post subject: Re: NBA.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:04 pm 

Jess wrote:
corrections wrote:
Jess wrote:
BULLSHIT! ibaka blocks ginobili on the backboard, no call, and then harden hits another lucky off balance three and gets the foul called. six point swing. stupid.

Ibaka has gotten away with a ton of goaltends in this series. I've been generally unimpressed with the pro-OKC slant of the officiating. OKC should be drawing more fouls but not by this much.

glad i'm not the only one who's wondering how parker can get mugged with no foul or where all of the phantom offensive fouls are while harden or durant can be lightly brushed and draw the foul. like game 1 when they entered the bonus with 9 left in the fourth. ugh. game 4 was just straight up lucky for the thunder. it's not every day someone goes 11/11 and perfect from the line (who's normally no more than an average shooter--it's not steve nash going off) on top of durant entering can't-miss-god-mode in the fourth quarter--scoring 16 straight points without a miss i think. that kind of productivity is just really rare and came at an incredibly convenient time. last night was just annoying. the ibaka goal tend and subsequent bullshit 4 point play (i think he missed the free throw? but still shouldn't've had the shot in the first place) killed a run that would've cut into the lead with plenty of time left but instead extended it from potentially -2 to +3.

oh well. okc has been my second favorite team because of KD--watching him play at UT was amazing--and a heat-thunder final will be awesome. i'll still be excited. spurs-heat would also be awesome and old school vs new school, but seeing the two most star-stacked teams in the league face off with lebron and KD both trying to win their first is probably the start of an awesome rivalry for the next decade. i can't imagine anyone beating the thunder after this season in the west (durant, westbrook, harden, sefolosha, and ibaka are all under 25 i think) and haven't peaked. i hope the heat can start to gel and build a strong, deep rotation like the spurs or chicago, because then i can't see anyone beating them in the east.

this may be an unrealistic scenario but my ideal move for the heat in the offseason is to: trade bosh to phoenix for nash who takes a smaller contract seeing as how he's 38 and wants a ring (and deserves one) and have money left over for a few role players, ideally a strong defensive power forward with long arms and made hops or a center. phoenix probably wants to rebuild around someone younger anyways. i don't know if bosh is a worthy centerpiece, but surely they'll see more value in a young bosh than an old nash. and just imagine lebron and wade with nash. that would be awesome.

That's a truly terrible idea I think. They'd have exactly zero skilled big men (excepting the times when Lebron plays the 4) and that's not a recipe for success. On top of that you would then have three players who need the ball in their hand to be at their greatest effectiveness blunting three talents. Then you add the fact that Nash would have no shooters to pass to (a huge part of his game), that he's a defensive liability, and that strong defensive power forwards with arms and hops don't grow on trees. And they aren't getting any center of quality either (they've already scraped the barrel looking for cheap centers). I think this is a legitimately terrible marriage and use of talent.

They're going to have far less cap flexibility than you think to help themselves. Next year they're slated to have 78.5 million in salary on the books. The cap is projected to be somewhere around 60-61 million. Even if they got Nash at half of his 11 million figure (which is pretty damn unlikely) with Bosh's 17.5 million gone they'd only save 12 million getting them to 66 million still about 5-6 million over the cap. They could amnesty Miller or Haslem but that wouldn't get them under the cap and would leave more rotational holes. I'm not sure what the Luxury tax line will be (probably around 70 million or so like this year) so dumping Bosh would get them under the tax line giving them 5 million in mid-level exception money rather than the 3 million that tax-payors get. Other than that the only move flexibility they would have is signing minimum salary veteran flotsam. Don't see how they get two real front court players (about what they would need) to help themselves.

Addtionally, I'll point out that Phoenix isn't trading Nash for a guy who is viewed as a second tier star by many in the league. They don't want a riot and Bosh really isn't all that much to build around on his own. Phoenix needs to hit bottom.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:10 pm 

haha i expected you to rip it to shreds. i don't have a rebuttal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:15 am 

the celts can be old and win, why cant the spurs! spurs were at home too. would have liked a boston-san antonio matchup. could still happen but im not holding my breath. spoelstra is such a fucking bad coach, he won't be there next year if they lose this series.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:46 am 

zephead8 wrote:
the celts can be old and win, why cant the spurs! spurs were at home too. would have liked a boston-san antonio matchup. could still happen but im not holding my breath. spoelstra is such a fucking bad coach, he won't be there next year if they lose this series.

Boston is going to get crushed by OKC though. That's such a stupendously bad matchup for them (a team with the 3 of the four best players and with more depth than Boston).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:05 pm 

:cry:

well they werent supposed to beat the heat either and they've handled them pretty well. played better than them in 4 out of the 5 games so far. cant dismiss the heart of a champion and the drive that boston has to win this last one before they're ultimately disbanded. not saying okc doesnt have the drive to win but the celts have done it. the only players on okc that have even been to the finals are perk and fisher. i dont know what you mean by okc having 3/4 of the best players.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:16 pm 

Of the best 4 players in a potential Thunder/Celtics matchup, the Thunder have 3 of them

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:27 pm 

zephead8 wrote:
:cry:

well they werent supposed to beat the heat either and they've handled them pretty well. played better than them in 4 out of the 5 games so far. cant dismiss the heart of a champion and the drive that boston has to win this last one before they're ultimately disbanded. not saying okc doesnt have the drive to win but the celts have done it. the only players on okc that have even been to the finals are perk and fisher. i dont know what you mean by okc having 3/4 of the best players.

And this is the way to analyze basketball games that will almost always get you the wrong answer. OKC will have 3 our of the four best players in the series (for reference purposes those players are Durant, Westbrook, Rondo, and Harden although I'd take arguments for Garnett). They also have an astoundingly higher degree of depth. Remember you're beating Miami without their third best player and Miami's 4th best player would barely make the rotation for OKC. OKC is a well constructed team and they're just plain better than Boston. Also Boston's players are going to be gassed if they get through this series. Don't get me wrong I hope they do but Miami is a pretty decent matchup for Boston. OKC and San Antonio are not.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:32 pm 

well thats not even true. kevin garnett even now is a much more impactful player than james harden or even westbrook.

1. durant

2. rondo
3. kg
4. westbrook
5. harden
6. pierce.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:41 pm 

I agree crx that the matchup is pretty bad for Boston. But I know that at the beginnng of the playoffs, Pierce, Allen and Bradley were all injured. Do you think it changes anything if these guys can get slowly healthier until they're their normall productive selves by the finals? Or at least closer to that. I don't think there's been a game yet we're all of the big 4 put up solid numbers. That being said, that's kind of the case with OKC and harden/westbrook/Durant as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:42 pm 

zephead8 wrote:
well thats not even true. kevin garnett even now is a much more impactful player than james harden or even westbrook.

1. durant

2. rondo
3. kg
4. westbrook
5. harden
6. pierce.

Here's your major problem and the source of lulz. In a matchup between these two teams Rondo is definitely not the better player than Westbrook. Rondo has done some truly amazing things this playoffs but he's shooting unsustainably well for him and against the Thunder will run into some truly vexing problems. The order is

1. Durant

2. Westbrook
3. Rondo

4. KG/Harden

Even giving you Pierce as 6 that doesn't make up for the gaping drop off in depth or athleticism.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:43 pm 

ignatious wrote:
I agree crx that the matchup is pretty bad for Boston. But I know that at the beginnng of the playoffs, Pierce, Allen and Bradley were all injured. Do you think it changes anything if these guys can get slowly healthier until they're their normall productive selves by the finals? Or at least closer to that. I don't think there's been a game yet we're all of the big 4 put up solid numbers. That being said, that's kind of the case with OKC and harden/westbrook/Durant as well.

Bradley is done for the playoffs dude. Allen is unlikely to heal but he's been playing better of late. And they've all been playing the same minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:49 pm 

Yes, I know bradley is done. I just like listing things in threes more than twos. and yes Allen is unlikely to heal completely. But he's shooting something like 29% from 3 in the playoffs when he had 45% for the season. All I'm saying is that those are some legit shit numbers, and just starting to hit some key threes at key moments would help. Same with pierce (just look at last night).

all that being said I think 1) Boston beats Miami (the Miami at its best i saw earlier this season beats Boston, but I don't know if they can get back to that). 2) OKC beats the spurs. and 3) OKC beats Boston, but Boston can get some wins at home.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:51 pm 

corrections wrote:

Here's your major problem and the source of lulz. In a matchup between these two teams Rondo is definitely not the better player than Westbrook. Rondo has done some truly amazing things this playoffs but he's shooting unsustainably well for him and against the Thunder will run into some truly vexing problems. The order is

1. Durant

2. Westbrook
3. Rondo

4. KG/Harden

Even giving you Pierce as 6 that doesn't make up for the gaping drop off in depth or athleticism.

Has Pierce ever really been that athletic, though? He seems like he still gets good separation on his jumpshots with some pretty slow but effective moves.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:07 pm 

slow does not mean nonathletic. dude is extremely athletic. i also think his moves appear more slow because he doesnt waste any movement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:11 pm 

zephead8 wrote:
slow does not mean nonathletic. dude is extremely athletic. i also think his moves appear more slow because he doesnt waste any movement.

Pierce has never struck me as particularly athletic for an NBA player. Can you elaborate?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 232  Next