DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Discussion of Classical Music
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:11 pm 

I am so not getting the joke for the Brahms effect

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:22 am 

That has to be one of the best posts in this forum. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:19 pm 

George wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BACH EFFECT: Childs speaks beautifully and profoundly. (and goes on to produce at least 20 offspring)

PROKOFIEV EFFECT: Child is alright but, inexplicably, lawyers from Texas thinks s/he's the hottest thing ever.

SHOSTAKOVICH EFFECT: Child is a nervous paranoid mess.

MENDELSSOHN EFFECT: Child grows up to be an absolute genius but is blamed by everyone for being too happy and well-adjusted.

:lol:

Oh George it's OK. Not all of us can recognize greatness when we hear it all the time.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:15 pm 

Prince Esterhazy's instrument... o_O

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:34 pm 

So outside of Bach, where can I find some great organ music?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:44 pm 

Buxtehude, Schütz, Frescobaldi, Handel, Froberger, Niels Gade, Franck, and Saint-Saëns are some of my favorites. I've heard a little of the organ music of Byrd, Gibbons, and Tallis, but not a whole lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:24 am 

in addition to buxtehude, i also especially enjoy arvo part's organ works.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:48 am 

def need to start listening to more classical music again. I have to say one of my all-time favourite ideas for the 'perfect' date scenario is going to a classical music concert.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:49 am 

Shostakovich's string quartets... :freak:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:59 am 

Is that a good emotion or a bad one?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:02 am 

I believe good. So good it boggle the mind and sends your eyes staring in opposite directions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:04 am 

Yes. THAT good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:17 pm 

joe c wrote:
It really just comes down to me enjoying sounds that are "unusual" and especially ones that are a little more harsh to the ear. I'm a fan of noise music and I think that stems from my enjoying of serialism and microtonal music.

In other news, I thought this was rather funny.

A report claims that playing Mozart for your designer baby (either in the womb or during hir formative early years) will improve his/her IQ and help him/her get into that exclusive preschool. If playing Mozart for little Johnny could boost his intelligence, what would happen if other composers or contemporary genres were played during his developmental time? And what about early exposure to classic art or literature?

CLASSICAL MUSIC

BABBITT EFFECT: Child gibbers nonsense all the time. Eventually, people stop listening to him. Child doesn't care because all his playmates think he's cool.

BARTÓK EFFECT: Child becomes more and more dissonant. Has trouble maintaining harmony with his peers. Difficulty following rules. Presents an increasingly bad tone overall and is unable to resolve anything.

BEETHOVEN EFFECT: Child spends far too much time at the keyboard and goes deaf. (If the child doesn't suffer from deafness, it's the Wakeman effect).

BRAHMS EFFECT: Child is able to speak beautifully as long as his sentences contain a multiple of three words (3, 6, 9, 12, etc.). However, his sentences containing 4 or 8 words are strangely uninspired.

BRUCKNER EFFECT: Child speaks very slowly and repeats himself frequently. Gains reputation for profundity.

GLASS EFFECT: Child tends to repeat himself over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

IVES EFFECT: Child develops a remarkable ability to carry on several separate conversations at once.

LISZT EFFECT: Child speaks rapidly and extravagantly, but never really says anything important.

MAHLER EFFECT: Child continually screams, at great length and volume, that he's dying.

SCHOENBERG EFFECT: Child never repeats a word until he's used all the other words in his vocabulary. Sometimes talks backwards. Eventually, people stop listening to him. Child blames them for their inability to understand him.

STOCKHAUSEN EFFECT: All you get out of the child is an atonal cacophony, but those around him are conned into believing it has some sort of artistic merit.

STRAVINSKY EFFECT: Child is prone to savage, guttural and profane outbursts that often lead to fighting and pandemonium in the preschool.

TAVENER EFFECT: Child sings a lot.

WAGNER EFFECT: Child becomes a megalomaniac. May eventually marry his sister.

CAGE EFFECT: Child says absolutely nothing. Preferred by 9 out of 10 classroom teachers.

Hey joe, sorry for my late response. For the last few months, I’ve been engaged in a large project involving comparing strict note reading vs. playing by ear, and even put up some YouTube videos and a free ebook.

Regarding your last post: Great post, joe! Did you make up all of these “effects”? If you did, you really understand the musical styles of many composers! If you didn’t make it up, where did you get it?
:tiphat:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:26 pm 

George wrote:

BACH EFFECT: Childs speaks beautifully and profoundly. (and goes on to produce at least 20 offspring)

PROKOFIEV EFFECT: Child is alright but, inexplicably, lawyers from Texas thinks s/he's the hottest thing ever.

MENDELSSOHN EFFECT: Child grows up to be an absolute genius but is blamed by everyone for being too happy and well-adjusted.

Hi George,

Sorry I’ve been away so long.

Your comments on additional composers’ styles go along nicely with those of joe c., posted on 5/22/12.

Did you make up these–or get them from somewhere?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:27 pm 

musicfunman wrote:
George wrote:

Hi George,

Sorry I’ve been away so long.

Your comments on additional composers’ styles go along nicely with those of joe c., posted on 5/22/12.

Did you make up these–or get them from somewhere?

He certainly made up the one for Prokofiev (as a gentle gibe at me).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next