DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 140  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Bass Guitarists
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:19 pm 

Lesh/Casady...or for the purpose of this way too long drawn out discussion I'll just refer to them as "Leshady". Somehow we joined these two guys at the hip. They're both skilled and creative players, but I believe that the depth of this discussion has given them both perhaps a bit too much bass cred when compared to some of those around them, and neither belong equal to or greater than Osborn or Prestia IMO. We've sort of talked ourselves into something here I think. Otherwise, why would two guys clearly not top 10 material dominate a discussion where at least 98 other players must be addressed.

Carol Kaye is a terrific musician and highly skilled (at least was) on her instrument. She's a lot more than just Brian Wilson... including the choice of several other top shelf Los Angeles producers.

Referring to Ronnie Baker as a "bass arranger" came from Joe Tarsia, legendary producer/engineer at the Sigma Sound Studios in Philly. It refers to Ronnies ability to come up with parts that really help pull the entire ensemble together. Like Jamerson, he was more than just a bassist in the Philly ensembles he performed with (MFSB, Salsoul Orchestra, etc).

Bootsy at # 20? Maybe on GQ's list but hardly this list. He just doesn't possess the skill of most of those we've discussed through the 30 slot. It would be like putting Michael Vick in the same class as Peyton Manning or Drew Brees.

Last edited by StuBass on Wed May 30, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:28 pm 

Phil Chen is well versed on the history of bass guitar and those who played the instrument and produces documentaries and interviews with prominent musicians. Funny story, Phil was doing a story on Babbitt and went backstage at a Brenda Lee performance who Babbitt was touring with at the time. Brenda Lees husband was her manager, and when Phil and his film crew went backstage after the show to interview Babbitt, Brendas husband saw the crew and just assumed they were there to do a story on Brenda. When he saw that they were there doing a story on Babbitt he got furious and fired Babbitt on the spot. Babbitt had toured with Brenda Lee on and off for nearly 15 years at the time.

Pino...I just take the position that one either GETS Pino...or doesn't.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:24 pm 

Ariel wrote:
Impressed by this Watt-Roy. Also, that's the funkiest video I've ever seen!

Any more Watt-Roy samples my good man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCIWmldN ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmopROxB ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohf52vAP ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3oaTnVM ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aizzH_JM ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmopROxB ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g33rN4zp ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:37 pm 

Ariel wrote:
IDEA! Raise Lesh, Casady, and Bogert to above Sheehan, Jackson, and possibly Prestia and Osborn. Thoughts?

Whoa, I know that Casday and Lesh are awesome, but you really think they top SHEEHAN? That guy is just a natural freak on the instrument. I seen him solo for only like 20 seconds one time and I was utterly blown away.
Don't know enough about the others to say.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:10 am 
Site Admin

An email about the bass Guitarists list.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi There
I'm a rock biographer and am somewhat surprised that you have not included the great Marco Mendoza; he is known by his fellow musicians as being one of the best bass guitarist in the world. Glad to see Verdine White, Bernard Edwards and Phil Lynott on the list, though Phil should be higher up your list, he played bass different to any other player. He is unique and has contributed to a lot more than he is given credit for. How do I know? I'm writing a book about Thin Lizzy and know the band....old and new members. As brilliant as he was, I'm surprised to see John 'The Bull' Entwistle at no. 2

Don't be offended, it's just my opinion; that said your website is very informative and very well laid out. It's a great site and I will include your website address in the acknowledgements section of my book about Thin Lizzy with a recommendation that people visit your site. Nice one, nice one indeed. Be good if it is updated very soon though.

All the best

Steve W
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:45 am 

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum and I'm sure your participation would be most informatcive. Obviously, on a list like this not everyone will agree on anything and not anyone will agree on everything. I will say that the bass list was literally years in the making with participants debating, comparing, discussing, and even arguing at times to form the analysis leading to list positions. That said, you'll see that every effort is made to correlate the results to the stated criteria which we base our list placements on. We are currently updating and reworking the list, particularly the bottom 70 or so. As for Entwistle, he was actually # 1 when this site first came to my attention...Jamerson at # 6 for example. Following much debate and discussion led by knowledgible moderators and participants, that the top slots were adjusted. There are certainly players who have been overlooked, which is why players that you mention can be considered, however it's up to you to present your evidence based strictly on influence, impact, creativity, technical skill, versatility, etc. What will NOT move someone onto this list or up on this list is the popularity of the band they played in or just the fact that someone has sold lots of records. Also there will be sub-genre preferences and studio versus primarily band players. It's a difficult undertaking but despite a relatively small group of participants, we're pretty well versed on what we are doing. Best of luck on your literary endeavors.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:12 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Ariel wrote:
Neg just listened to your live Casady/Airplane performance with the indeed monster solo, and one of SanTropez's Lesh links. There's no question Lesh is more creative, with a more distinctive, hard to replicate, and idiosyncratic style. I could listen to these two all day though, they're both fucking geniuses, and I need to start buying albums from both bands soon

Well you're the bassist so I'll leave it up to you.

But in the meantime, check out Lesh's playing in this version of "The Other One" (track 17). Sweeeeet solo at around 15:25 too...
http://archive.org/details/gd1972-08-22 ... 27780.shnf

And this one for Casady:

Great links, thanks so much. Holy hell is that an epic bass guitar showcase (Casady song). But Lesh is still considerably more creative, distinctive and hard to replicate. I've literally never heard another bassist, in any genre, who sounds like him or has a style similar to his.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:37 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Ariel wrote:
IDEA! Raise Lesh, Casady, and Bogert to above Sheehan, Jackson, and possibly Prestia and Osborn. Thoughts?

Whoa, I know that Casday and Lesh are awesome, but you really think they top SHEEHAN? That guy is just a natural freak on the instrument. I seen him solo for only like 20 seconds one time and I was utterly blown away.
Don't know enough about the others to say.

Sheehan certainly is way beyond them as far as technical skill but he lags behind them in creativity and versatility.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:31 pm 

Ariel wrote:
Great links, thanks so much. Holy hell is that an epic bass guitar showcase (Casady song). But Lesh is still considerably more creative, distinctive and hard to replicate. I've literally never heard another bassist, in any genre, who sounds like him or has a style similar to his.

I can see that. Lesh is very free-form with his playing, always exploring.

Ssoyd wrote:
Sheehan certainly is way beyond them as far as technical skill but he lags behind them in creativity and versatility.

You dont think Billy is creative? How much have you heard? Granted I've only heard a little, but it was enough to blow my mind.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:34 pm 

Oh Gawd (Lol)...

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:17 pm 

If this Jack Lesh/Phil Casady "debate" continues much longer I'm gonna crank up some grateful Dead to six thousand decibles, hang a lifesized poster of Gracie Slick on the wall, and shoot myself in the fucking head with a glock :banghead: !

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:20 am 

Sure, take the easy way out....

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:25 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Sure, take the easy way out....

No...throwing myself in front a a moving train would be the EASY way out.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:04 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Ariel wrote:

I can see that. Lesh is very free-form with his playing, always exploring.

Ssoyd wrote:

You dont think Billy is creative? How much have you heard? Granted I've only heard a little, but it was enough to blow my mind.

I've been listening to Sheehan since I saw him live in a club in Syracuse NY playing with Talas around 1980. I got bored with him after about 2 sets and 32 years later he's playing the same stuff he was then. That's why I don't think he's very creative.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:51 pm 

He doesn't just do the speed stuff he's best known for though. His work with Niacin is much more laid back and groovy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 140  Next