DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Community
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:21 am 

Rudy Rules wrote:
They must have very actively resented him since like 5 people watch Community and it's going to be cancelled anyway. A kick on the way out making it clear he's never working there again.

I can't think why they would have fired him if they thought the show had no potential to grow an audience. I mean there's the chance it's just out of sheer spite and animus but if that's all it is those executives should be fired for being fucking objectively bad at their jobs. I think it's more likely that they think (or thought, at least, before NBC put it on Fridays) it has a chance to be a bigger thing or at least make it to syndication.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:25 am 

in memory

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:17 am 

monga18 wrote:
Rudy Rules wrote:
They must have very actively resented him since like 5 people watch Community and it's going to be cancelled anyway. A kick on the way out making it clear he's never working there again.

I can't think why they would have fired him if they thought the show had no potential to grow an audience. I mean there's the chance it's just out of sheer spite and animus but if that's all it is those executives should be fired for being fucking objectively bad at their jobs. I think it's more likely that they think (or thought, at least, before NBC put it on Fridays) it has a chance to be a bigger thing or at least make it to syndication.

That's so idiotic and short-sighted, for so many reasons, especially after NBC put it on Friday night. I do think that's a part of the reason though, sadly. I also know that Dan Harmon could be very difficult to work with (Jace Lacob said when he was on set once Harmon was on the phone with an NBC executive and literally screamed at the executive in order to get what he wanted onto the show) and I'm thinking it's very well possible that they just didn't want to put up with him anymore and hired on the new guys to just run these last 13 episodes as efficiently - from a management standpoint - and quietly as possible.

But this show is never going to be a mainstream success now. It's not going to gain new viewers on a Friday night and if the new guys attempt to give the show a broader appeal, it may very well lose many of the very small number of viewers with a Nielsen box who chose to watch the show live.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 am 

chicken sandwich wrote:
in memory

That's amazing.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:12 pm 

One of the cast members leaked the talking points memo they were given for response to Dan Harmon's firing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... nbc-328815

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:27 am 

Dan Harmon did a really good AMA yesterday: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/y ... writer_of/

This exchange in particular is great:

some dude wrote:
The rumour mill says that Chevy Chase walked off set at the end of filming for Season 3 because he refused to do something. What did he refuse to do?

Dan Harmon wrote:
He refused to do the "tag" for the Digital Estate Planning episode (the 8 bit video game episode). In the scripted tag, Abed comes to Pierce with the thumb drive he took, and says "Pierce, I've been able to adjust some of the code for your Dad's video game and I've made a version I think you might like better." He puts the thumb drive into a laptop in front of Pierce. We cut to the laptop screen, where we see Pierce's avatar on a front lawn with the giant floating head of Cornelius. Every time Pierce presses the space bar, his avatar throws a baseball to his father's head, which gives him a thousand points and a "great job, son!" Pierce presses the space bar a few times, pauses, then leans over and embraces Abed and we fade to black. When Adam Countee pitched that tag, tears instantly rolled down my cheeks, and in point of fact, my eyes are getting watery describing it to you. It was the most important part of the episode and possibly one of the most important moments of the season. I was very upset to hear that it wasn't shot because someone didn't feel like shooting it, especially since it was literally the last day of shooting, which meant we'd never be able to pick it up. I regret nothing about how upset I got. My job was to care about my show.

another dude wrote:
Why did he refuse to do it?

Dan Harmon wrote:
The answer I heard from the people on set was that he didn't think it was funny. After he realized how upset I was about it, he said things in voicemails like "there was no script" (untrue) and "I have a weird relationship with the name Cornelius" (dumb, he had no dialogue in the tag). The real answer, I believe, is that he wanted to go home because he was tired. He probably didn't realize he was permanently damaging the episode by doing so because he often walked off set and then we would just pick up his shots later in the week. But this was the final shot of the season. The sets came down after he walked away. So this was the one time in three years that his personality caused unfixable damage to something I really held valuable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:33 am 

Ok, so I was wrong about this show, it's actually really good. I still get how this can seem like just a wacky anodyne sitcom to people just surfing by who don't watch a lot of episodes of it. But yeah they do some really deep character work and relationship study in very fun, creative ways.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:46 pm 

Here's Alison Brie freestyling, and being pretty much the most adorably hilarious human being ever, to help your Community withdrawl:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:10 pm 

monga18 wrote:
I'd say best-case is the show becomes a still-funny but much blander straightforward sitcom (i.e. like the show was in early s1, or like the new showrunners' work on Happy Endings) and worst-case is an attempt to replicate Harmon and the more eccentric and risky things the show's done, which will almost certainly fail. I'd much rather see the show retreat to normalcy than descend into wackiness.

...fuck

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-nbcs-community-not-the-same-without-dan-harmon-in-season-4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:16 pm 

I'm sure it will be just fine. There's no doubt in my mind that if the new writers implemented a "new take" on Community's characters and setting that there would be a big backlash from critics and, most importantly, the shows fans. There would be critique and fallout no matter what route the new writers decided to go with. I think sticking to the Dan Harmon style, even if poorly replicated, is probably the best course of action and what the fans want instead of a new style.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:12 pm 

FB comment on the Community page regarding the start of the new season: "all of you pitiful pathetic people, so enthrawled by something so meaningless; the occupants of this world disgust me. Ignorant complacancy breeds alike. One would like to believe your own life would take presidence over some ficrional tale of others... I typed while on facebook... nullified."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:48 am 

The episode had a lot of the elements that has made Community one of my favorite shows, but it still felt hollow. Turning five second jokes or off hand comments into longer gags can work, and it worked well enough, but they are definitely missing that spark. It's just one episode, so I don't want to overreact.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:59 am 

I thought the episode was good, but I also had really low expectations. I thought the writers pulled it off. My only complaint is that the pacing felt off, and as if the writers tried too hard to cram in too many different elements. Some of them eneded up seeming hackneyed as a result (like Pierce and the Troy/Britta Shirley/Annie stories). However, the "change" motif really struck a chord with me and I thought it was a classic Community moral.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:22 pm 

http://www.reddit.com/r/community/comme ... uld_start/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:33 pm 

chicken sandwich wrote:
I thought the episode was good, but I also had really low expectations. I thought the writers pulled it off. My only complaint is that the pacing felt off, and as if the writers tried too hard to cram in too many different elements. Some of them eneded up seeming hackneyed as a result (like Pierce and the Troy/Britta Shirley/Annie stories). However, the "change" motif really struck a chord with me and I thought it was a classic Community moral.

Just looking at that - you didn't like three of the five stories (the others being Jeff vs. Dean and Abed vs the world). The more disconcerting thing is that there were FIVE storylines in a 22-minute episode - that's insane given that this was a standard-issue Community episode and not a Chaos Theory-type experiment. They packed WAY too much into this one episode and I'm concerned that's a function of the short season rather than season opening jitters (which the show always had under Harmon too). I agree on liking the change theme and it shows the new showrunners' hearts are definitely in the right place, but like I said last year it's a whole new show and I hope after the first couple episodes they start to treat it like one.

That said there are worse Harmon episodes - in particular the first 3 of last season, so maybe that's a reason to hope the non-critic-reviewed shows step things up - but not many.

Two Headed Boy wrote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/community/comments/x6np2/how_i_think_season_4_episode_1_should_start/

and this just makes me worry they're letting Reddit write the show

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next