DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wes Anderson
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:40 pm 

For the Anderson fans, there shouldn't be too many surprises. And as far as I'm concerned no disappointments either. The movie starts out with a wonderful sample of Anderson's decorative style, having the camera sweep around the area revealing all these wonderfully and elaborately designed spaces for (in)action. So he's definitely comfortable working within his trademark style; you know how everything's always directet the camera or at a perfectly straight angle vrom the lens.
The film is much more light than some of his more recent films. The bittersweet Anderson mode leans slightly more towards the sweet than in Tenenbaums or Life Aquatic. Also the fact that he works with children a lot in this film is a bonus for me because I love kiddie adventure films and Moonrise Kingdom is most definitely that. So even though the film shouldn't contain too many surprises for the Anderson fans, there is an incredible shift from interior to exterior here. Moonrise Kingdom is totally an outdoors movie and I just love that Anderson shows us he's capable enough of maintaining his trademark mise-en-scene in exteriors.
Love the wester/adventure/war movie pictorial influences that found their way into this movie. One scene even seemed like it came straight out of Inglourious Basterds (although knowing Tarantino it probably came from elsewhere - perhaps a Fuller movie but I can't seem to place it). This was pretty cool and the ensemble cast is great to watch as always. If I had to make one point of criticism though, it would have to be that I didn't think Bill Murray and Frances McDormand made a very good screen couple and I wasn't a huge fan of her acting job.

But man, what a great film this was. Anderson's best (and definitely his most enjoyable) since The Life Aquatic imo. Glad I caught the avant-premiere because it gets an official release on the 30th, the same day as fucking Cosmopolis and fucking PROMETHEUS. So now I can go see those two on wednesday without having to worry about still catching Moonrise Kingdom. Life is fucking sweet.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:28 pm 

cool man, thanks for that. So it sounds like the biggest difference is he's working with more kids now which is a challenge. So the vibe I'm getting is this seems to be more of a lighter affair but he's mastered his craft so much that it turns it into a career highlight for him. Kinda like Hitchcock's North by Northwest where depths aren't what you should be looking for but rather the enjoyment of the ride of an artist we've come to know and going in like that will reap you the best reaction to it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:31 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Yeah why is Life Aquatic not even highlighted in the OP?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:47 am 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
cool man, thanks for that. So it sounds like the biggest difference is he's working with more kids now which is a challenge. So the vibe I'm getting is this seems to be more of a lighter affair but he's mastered his craft so much that it turns it into a career highlight for him. Kinda like Hitchcock's North by Northwest where depths aren't what you should be looking for but rather the enjoyment of the ride of an artist we've come to know and going in like that will reap you the best reaction to it.

Yeah, I really think you can't go wrong with Moonrise Kingdom. Anderson set the 2012 bar really fucking high with this one.

Oh and have you seen AH's Frenzy yet, jake? I think you really should because you'll see a side of Hitchcock you've never seen before. For real.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 pm 

ImageImage
ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:28 pm 

Kara Hayward is gonna be so hot, I can see it through my pedo eyes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:59 pm 

:lol: I just finished watching Moonrise Kingdom and came here to say basically that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:10 pm 

pretty sure every guy has thought that but felt uncomfortable being the first to say it. but yeah she really is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:34 pm 

No one is allowed to give me shit for finding Chloe Sevigny attractive again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:49 pm 

But her rhombus like jaw...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:55 pm 

Dreww wrote:
No one is allowed to give me shit for finding Chloe Sevigny attractive again.

Chloe Sevigny is hot. I don't think I was one of the ones who gave you shit about her.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:42 pm 

she's 37. i'm missing something.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:06 pm 

No I mean people gave me shit about Chloe because she "looks like a man" or is "ugly". I admit Chloe has a strong jaw, but this girl not only looks like a man, she has an incredibly asymmetrical face to boot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:18 pm 

I like her best in Moonrise Kingdom instead of when she tries to look like a made up woman outside of the movie. I notice the asymetricality but that's pretty minor to me, that's usually a kid thing too. Don't see the mannish stuff tho.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:54 am 

You know who's gonna be pretty hot when she's legal? Chloe Moretz.