It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 907 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:26 pm
Posts: 4602
Location: Ohio
Condensing the two most populated threads makes sense to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:24 pm
Posts: 155
Last book I read- Less Than Zero by Ellis

9.5/10

Currently reading Persuasion by Austen for class. I read 1 chapter so far, not particularly excited for the following, but its at the least readable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:15 pm
Posts: 212
Reading White Oleander by Janet Fitch and loving every word. The protagonist, Astrid, is so well-written it's ridiculous.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:11 am
Posts: 5858
I'm currently in the middle of:

Hubert Dreyfus - Being-in-the-World: A Commentary on Heidegger's Being and Time, Division I
Cornel West - The American Evasion of Philosophy: A Genealogy of Pragmatism

I'm sort of in the middle of More Die of Heartbreak by Saul Bellow, but I don't think I'll finish it because it's not very good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:32 pm
Posts: 1742
Location: Alberta
Anyone here familiar with the short story "The Yellow Wallpaper"? First thing that came to my mind after reading it was Von Trier's Antichrist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 485
Finally read The Way of The Rose by Umberto Eco and it actually is as good as people say it is. It's definitely the best thing I've read by him.

I'm currently reading The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm by Jack Zipes, mainly so I'll be able to appreciate any references made to them in the Fables volumes I've recently acquired (if there are any at all).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:32 pm
Posts: 552
bloodredchaos wrote:
Finally read The Way of The Rose by Umberto Eco and it actually is as good as people say it is. It's definitely the best thing I've read by him.

I'm currently reading The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm by Jack Zipes, mainly so I'll be able to appreciate any references made to them in the Fables volumes I've recently acquired (if there are any at all).



don't you mean the name of the rose? also, i agree it's a very good book


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 485
timewarne404 wrote:
bloodredchaos wrote:
Finally read The Way of The Rose by Umberto Eco and it actually is as good as people say it is. It's definitely the best thing I've read by him.

I'm currently reading The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm by Jack Zipes, mainly so I'll be able to appreciate any references made to them in the Fables volumes I've recently acquired (if there are any at all).



don't you mean the name of the rose? also, i agree it's a very good book


Yeah sorry.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:01 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 7989
Location: The Magick City
Two Headed Boy wrote:
Anyone here familiar with the short story "The Yellow Wallpaper"? First thing that came to my mind after reading it was Von Trier's Antichrist.

Crrrrrrrraaaaaaaaazy ladies!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:32 pm
Posts: 1742
Location: Alberta
Dreww wrote:
Two Headed Boy wrote:
Anyone here familiar with the short story "The Yellow Wallpaper"? First thing that came to my mind after reading it was Von Trier's Antichrist.

Crrrrrrrraaaaaaaaazy ladies!

Don't you think there are a lot of parallels? Husband being a doctor(knows best), rest-cure(ish in the movie), postpartum depression in the short, depression from the child's death in the movie. Idk maybe I'm way off but I truly felt like there was no way it couldn't have been an influence.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:32 pm
Posts: 552
i really like that story (yellow wallpaper). Today i'm just going to chill out and try and finish Light in August


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:10 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 7989
Location: The Magick City
Two Headed Boy wrote:
Dreww wrote:
Two Headed Boy wrote:
Anyone here familiar with the short story "The Yellow Wallpaper"? First thing that came to my mind after reading it was Von Trier's Antichrist.

Crrrrrrrraaaaaaaaazy ladies!

Don't you think there are a lot of parallels? Husband being a doctor(knows best), rest-cure(ish in the movie), postpartum depression in the short, depression from the child's death in the movie. Idk maybe I'm way off but I truly felt like there was no way it couldn't have been an influence.

No I think you're right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:25 pm 
Offline
Master of the Universe 2008
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:57 am
Posts: 3607
Michel foucault - power
Michel Foucault-Ethics


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:32 pm
Posts: 6619
Location: AKL
Erock wrote:
Last book I read- Less Than Zero by Ellis

9.5/10

Currently reading Persuasion by Austen for class. I read 1 chapter so far, not particularly excited for the following, but its at the least readable.



How was Less Than Zero? Keen to read Imperial Bedrooms, but as it's apparently a sequel I should get to reading LTZ...

Gonna give The Hunger Games a shot. Last book I read being TinTin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:24 pm
Posts: 995
Location: Buenos Aires
I read The Unbearable Lightness Of Being by Milan Kundera. I really really enjoy it. It's kinda love story, with the ideas from the author all over the place. You know, all that philosophical stuff. The characters are just amazing, the way they roll through the book. You really get into their lives, you share the story with them. You know, you're just one more guy in the story. And maybe you don't notice it... but you will laugh of how ridiculously thruth is what this guy says.
9/10, or some shit like that. I don't usually qualify the art with points. The book is awesome, that's all you have to know.

Now I think I'll start Grapes of Wrath, or maybe HP 7 once again. The movie is about to come and I have to remember the story.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 907 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page