DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Metal Bassists
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:23 pm 

MH yeah RYM has been incredibly useful to me, awesome website.

Yng your ear for good musicianship is pretty solid dude, even if you're not a bass expert you seem to recognize good playing on instruments in general which is good and is part of why I keep encouraging you to stick around this subforum, pop in from time to time and give your opinion heh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:20 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Ariel wrote:
Sherick wrote:
Quote:
Tool is very questionable. Soundgarden is definitively not metal. AIC is VERY questionable. Dream Theater is metal, but not very. GnR is in no way metal. Mars Volta probably has the weakest case for being metal out of any of these, honestly.

Not really. Tool is absolutely accepted by the metal community, as is AIC for the most part. Soundgarden is considred amongst them, but sometimes it can be hard to see the connection. Dream Theater is totally metal; just cause they venture off every once in a while during songs doesn't change that. Agree on the other two.

The only one of those bands that is listed on metal-archives.com (online encyclopedia of metal, also probably the best metal website I've found) is DT. Tool is usually considered alt metal but they're so on the border you could argue they make it in as a legit metal band, they're really on the border there. AIC was originally marketed (Facelift era) as a metal band, but the consensus seems to be that was simply inaccurate, though they might be the definitive alt metal band (alt metal being one of those bastard genres like nu and glam and metalcore that isn't usually considered a subgenre of metal but a 'metallic' rock subgenre). Soundgarden is also alt metal, though closer to straight rock and further from metal than AIC. DT are metal I guess but the enormous amount of metal-less (and terrible) ballads ("Another Day", etc.) they have, coupled with their more or less consistent refusal (minus maybe the Train of Thought album) to stick within the metal sound compositionally and the fact that probably at least 50% of their songs are clearly not metal songs makes them kind of barely metal.

"Alt metal" is not a real genre in the first place. It's nexus, catch-all for bands that don't fit easily into any subgenre but are accepted by the alt rock crowd. If you can tell the relationship between AiC, Faith No More, Tool, Soundgarden, Korn, Slipknot that sets them apart from any other band than I would love the explanation. You are really narrowing the parameters of what and how a band can be considered metal.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:01 am 

Quote:
Good collection, very respectable. Metal bands I see (not that you asked, and not to sound like an ass): Anthrax, Sabbath, Budgie (maybe), Diamond Head, Helloween (!), Maiden, Priest, Megadeth, Metallica, Pain of Salvation (I think), Samson (I think?), The Sword (I think?). Good stuff

Pain Of Salvation is prog metal, you'd love them.
Budgie was from the early 70's so I guess you'd call them "traditional" metal, but they seemed to be the only other band, besides Sabbath, that were embracing metal as a legitimate style.

Quote:
I've repeatedly been tempted to check out Audioslave but most of what I've heard frankly strikes me as mediocre and generic no offense. There's one really good song they did though that I know, don't remember the name (Shadows of the Sun or something?).

Shadow On The Sun? I don't even care for that one.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Have you heard Show Me How To Live?

Quote:
The missing link in your collection: SLAYER

Oh yeah I plan on getting Seasons and South Of Heaven quite soon.
FUCK Reign In Blood. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:05 pm 

Sherick wrote:
"Alt metal" is not a real genre in the first place. It's nexus, catch-all for bands that don't fit easily into any subgenre but are accepted by the alt rock crowd. If you can tell the relationship between AiC, Faith No More, Tool, Soundgarden, Korn, Slipknot that sets them apart from any other band than I would love the explanation. You are really narrowing the parameters of what and how a band can be considered metal.

The parameters I'm using are the ones that most serious metalheads use from what I can tell. Even down to published magazines like Decibel, etc.

This is a pretty good explanation of alt metal imo and how the bands you're mentioning are all tied together: http://allmusic.com/explore/metastyle/a ... etal-d2697

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:07 pm 

Neg...

Yeah that's what I hear about Budgie. Obviously Breadfan is a great song though I wonder how much it sounds like the Metallica version

Are Pain of Salvation like really Christian or something? Aren't they the band with Gildenlow?

Can you link Show Me How to Live? Thanks

Strongly recommend getting South then Seasons, in that order, particularly in this case because Seasons is essentially a combination of Reign and South style wise

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:09 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Ariel wrote:
Sherick wrote:

The parameters I'm using are the ones that most serious metalheads use from what I can tell. Even down to published magazines like Decibel, etc.

This is a pretty good explanation of alt metal imo and how the bands you're mentioning are all tied together: http://allmusic.com/explore/metastyle/a ... etal-d2697

AllMusic is not the best authority when it comes to this. So much of that description was laughable. They're just affirming what I said anyway, that alt metal is not a genre at all, but a dump spot for any metal band that doesn't fit a box.

Quote:
Are Pain of Salvation like really Christian or something? Aren't they the band with Gildenlow?

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:45 am 

Ariel wrote:
Yeah that's what I hear about Budgie. Obviously Breadfan is a great song though I wonder how much it sounds like the Metallica version

Fairly similar actually, though Budgie's version is much better, imo. That riff is just wicked and played with so much conviction.

Quote:

Not Christian at all, don't be fooled by the name. :lol:
Yes, Daniel Gildenlow is the singer. Truly one of the most brilliant rock vocalists to come along in quite some time.

Quote:
Can you link Show Me How to Live? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:05 pm 

Sherick wrote:
Ariel wrote:

AllMusic is not the best authority when it comes to this. So much of that description was laughable. They're just affirming what I said anyway, that alt metal is not a genre at all, but a dump spot for any metal band that doesn't fit a box.

I thought it was a pretty well written description personally. It seems to me Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, AIC, Soundgarden, and White Zombie all are birds of a feather, they're all basically a combination of grunge/90s 'alt rock' (the 90s rock sound) with metal influences, without crossing over into being metal. I think that's the standard way people look at it. But we can agree to disagree.

Oh shit Neg THAT song...that song is fucking fantastic one of the best 2000's rock songs imo, it's so good. If everything they did was as good as that and Shadow on the Sun they'd be really sick. You're slowly turning my opinion on them...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:25 am 

Ariel wrote:
Oh shit Neg THAT song...that song is fucking fantastic one of the best 2000's rock songs imo, it's so good. If everything they did was as good as that and Shadow on the Sun they'd be really sick. You're slowly turning my opinion on them...

Check this one out then, my favorite Audioslave tune by far...

If this shit doesn't get your blood pumping, nothin' will.