DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 910 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing right now?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:51 pm 

You like Halo, but don’t like COD?

I think both games are hideously overrated by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:00 pm 

Black ops really recycled a lot, not to mention I've been checkpointed mid air/in front of turrets (Which is extremely annoying...) and the AI is pathetic... the people with you are virtually useless. Still though, it's one of the better fps's I've played recently.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:15 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Yep, what a great state for the western shooter :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:34 pm 

Curiosity wrote:
Who's surprised? The COD series is the worst thing to happen to gaming since the Nintendo DS.

:facepalm:

I'd love to see your reasoning for why the DS is the worst thing to happen to gaming.

Actually I don't but I know you're gonna tell me anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:07 am 

Firstly, it's a gimmick, and it's influence has led to the widespread obsession with/dominance of further gimmicks (Wii, PS Eye, Kinect etc), secondly, it has moved more development and attention to handheld gaming, which is a complete waste of time and is stuck in the past artistically and technologically.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:13 am 

:facepalm:

I swear I use that smiley so much that one day it's gonna break.

Even if the duel screen and stylus controls are gimmicks, they are good gimmicks and there are a lot of games that use them well and creatively.

Second, gaming is still dominated by bland FPS games for people like you with no appreciation for orginality so why does it bother you if some companies are actually trying something different? Granted it is becoming a cliche now that your homeboys PS3 and 360 are stealing the idea.

And since you're such an avid defender of bland games like Halo you shouldn't bitch and whine that people like me actually still enjoy 2D games, IMO peak in video game quality will always be the 4th gen.

Calling the DS a bad thing for the industry because it doesnt feature groundbreaking graphics is just retarded, handheld games have always been behind in that department. And there's nothing wrong with that, weaker graphics just mean developers actually have to get creative.

Last edited by boo boo on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:22 am 

I disagree. The dual screen concept had potential but it has not been tapped into. Most games simply use one screen for displaying the f*cking map or some shit. Lame.

Halo is far from a bland first person shooter. It's gameplay is still unique in the industry, as no other game has integrated vehicles, largely non-scripted battles, tactical usage of weapons, methodical movement, and large battle arenas in quite the same way, though other games have attempted it, typically failing miserably (e.g. Breed). Halo's art design is also highly original and iconic within the games industry. No other first person shooter I can think of combines outlandish, excessive colour schemes with dirty realism in quite the same way.

And 2d gaming is one big f*cking fossil at this stage. Every 2d game has a 3D counterpart that has surpassed it. Just compare something like the old Prince of Persia games to the new ones. It's obvious which is a higher artistic achievement. :snacks:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:39 am 

Nintendo have successfully translated their 2D franchises to 3D. But other franchises that attempted to make the jump to 3D haven't been as successful.

I still think 2D games are generally more aesthetically pleasing, more imagination goes into their look in the place of what they lack in 3D power. The PS1 technically had better graphics than the Neo Geo, but that sure as hell didn't mean the games were actually prettier to look at.

Also graphics are not as important as other things. Just to prove it... I'm gonna list the various consoles from over the years and rank them in two different ways.

Red means the systems are ranked by their graphical power, and blue means they are ranked by how well they actually sold.

2nd Gen: Atari 5200 > Colecovision >Intellivision > Atari 2600 > Odyssey 2
2nd Gen: Atari 2600 > Colecovision > Intellivision > Odyssey 2 > Atari 5200

3rd Gen: Sega Master System > NES > Atari 7800
3rd Gen: NES > Sega Master System > Atari 7800

4th Gen
Console: Neo Geo > 32x > Sega CD > SNES > Sega Genesis > Turbografx16
Handheld: Atari Lynx > Game Gear > Game Boy

4th Gen
Console: SNES > Sega Genesis > Turbografx16 > Sega CD > Neo Geo > 32x
Handheld: Game Boy > Game Gear > Atari Lynx

5th Gen
Console: N64 > PS1 > Saturn > 3DO > Jaguar
Handheld: Sega Nomad > Neo Geo Pocket > Game Boy Color

5th Gen
Console: PS1 > N64 > Saturn > 3DO > Jaguar
Handheld: Game Boy Color > Neo Geo Pocket > Sega Nomad

6th Gen
Console: Xbox > Gamecube > PS2 > Dreamcast
Handheld: N Gage > Game Boy Advance

6th Gen
Console: PS2 > Xbox > Gamecube > Dreamcast
Handheld: Game Boy Advance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> N Gage

7th Gen
Console: PS3 > 360 > Wii
Handheld: PSP > DS

7th Gen
Console: Wii > 360 > PS3
Handheld: DS > PSP

The Wii is an exception because of how it's being marketed, but overall when a system sold better than a technically superior counterpart, it's because it plain and simply had a better library of games.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:53 am 

Your point about the visuals of 3D as opposed to 2D games would have been applicable to any previous generation of games consoles, but it's really not the case now. Just take a look at a game like Enslaved.

I agree, though, that there is a tendency to aim towards hyper-realism in modern games, and it usually equates with unimaginative design. Games like Enslaved that move away from this tend to be more visually appealing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:13 am 

Oh I'm not saying 3D games can't look great. A lot of them do.

I'm just telling you you're retarded for thinking the endurance of 2D games is hurting the industry, 3D games are not under threat for crying out loud, 2D games still have their place, there are certain genres of gaming that just plain work better under the 2D format, and some that don't work in 3D at all.

IMO Handheld gaming has gotten better and better over the years, 3D games rule the home consoles but 2D games still need a place to call home and I'm glad they have it in handhelds. They are slowly becoming more popular on home consoles though, which is wonderful, because the video game industry needs to realise the diversity of tastes out there. Modern gamers need to stop feeling like they are under threat because companies are now trying to appeal to casual crowds and retro gamers, a free market means there should be something for everyone, it's not some exclusive club for people like you who just want to feel special.

There are gamers like me who just plain and simply prefer 2D gaming.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:42 am 

Where did I ever say that 2D games are hurting the industry? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:57 am 

just finished fable 3 .... really weak game.....and this is from a fable fanatic.....horrid combat, weak story, weak characters ......

pluses - some good humor, one damn good mission in the aurora in the crawler cave, dual magic spells .....

7/10 for me , Fable 2 was an 8/10 for me and fable was 10/10 .....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:36 am 

chicken sandwich wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Who's surprised? The COD series is the worst thing to happen to gaming since the Nintendo DS.

I don't understand why people thinks it's cool to hate things are mainstream. I personally think Black Ops is pretty fucking awesome.

I can't think of anything positive to say about it, but then again I've always despised the Treyarch CoD games. I don't know why I thought this one would be any different.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:19 pm 

I dunno, my brother is really digging that game at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:59 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Quote:
Where did I ever say that 2D games are hurting the industry?

Curiosity wrote:

Its the implication anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 910 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 61  Next