It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215 ... 578  Next
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:09 pm 

Hang wrote:
I can assure you that Australia heavily dislikes Italian football - not Grosso. I'd be very surprised if the majority of the Australian public would even recognise the name Fabio Grosso.

Australians can't handle losing anything ever. It's an evolutionary trait from the days where if they lost they'd be hung or deported to a sun-baked wasteland.

MintCondition wrote:
I don't know what that means, but Australia is ranked 21 in the world in the FIFA rankings. Japan next best at 30.

Pffft. Fifa rankings mean little. Australia have yet to lift the Asian Cup.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:34 pm 

Forgotten Son wrote:
Australians can't handle losing anything ever. It's an evolutionary trait from the days where if they lost they'd be hung or deported to a sun-baked wasteland.

Incorrect. We celebrate our gallant losers as much, if not more than our winners. This is the exact opposite of Britain, who scorns its losers in the tabloid press until they are ruined. It's like a sick game to you people. In Australia, Pat Rafter is loved more for his graciousness in defeat to Goran Ivanisevic at Wimbledon than he is for his two US Open victories. Compare that to Tim Henman, who despite a number of great runs at Wimbledon relative to his ability, is remembered only as the punchline of many a distasteful, mean-hearted english joke.

Forgotten Son wrote:
Pffft. Fifa rankings mean little. Australia have yet to lift the Asian Cup.

Yes well that's hardly a fair criteria given we've only competed in 2 of them. The rankings give a much better indication as to who are the better teams at a given point in time, and Australia are a significant 9 spaces further ahead and the top ranked team from Asia. They are also important because they reflect results against opponents outside of Asia.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 pm 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
Forgotten Son wrote:
Pffft. Fifa rankings mean little.
yeah, seriously...The rankings take account of matches played over the past four years with the greatest weight given to matches in the previous 12 months, and most of this month's changes were due to teams discarding points relating to matches in March 2008 and depreciation of points from games in subsequent Marches. England, who lost to France in March 2008, have actually risen 11 points while dropping a place. Spain remain No1 but with 119 fewer points than they had last month.

America are 29 and Japan are 30...eh?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:55 pm 

MintCondition wrote:
Incorrect. We celebrate our gallant losers as much, if not more than our winners. This is the exact opposite of Britain, who scorns its losers in the tabloid press until they are ruined. It's like a sick game to you people.

Don't confuse Britain with England. I firmly could not give a toss about the English National Football team or the ridiculous expectations of many of their supporters. I've supported the Netherlands since the Euro 2000. And Scotland, when they decide to make an appearance in international competitions.

MintCondition wrote:
Yes well that's hardly a fair criteria given we've only competed in 2 of them. The rankings give a much better indication as to who are the better teams at a given point in time, and Australia are a significant 9 spaces further ahead and the top ranked team from Asia. They are also important because they reflect results against opponents outside of Asia.

Australia competed against Japan in the final of the 2011 AFC. They had a chance to win and become the champions of Asia. They lost. The rankings don't really reflect much on victories outside of Asia, given that the majority of Australia's victories in the past 12 months have been against Asian teams.

Anyway, we shall see what happens when Japan play Australia in their World Cup 2014 qualifying match in June.

Last edited by Forgotten Son on Mon May 07, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:01 pm 

Yes, so Japan were the best team in Asia in 2011.

Now in 2012 Australia is the best team in Asia. As there is no tournament we can only go by the rankings, which show a clear leader.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:08 am 

Generally, how much are football jerseys in England (or anywhere that isn't Australia, really)?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:43 am 

Seriously, you need to be selling coke in order to afford any jersey here.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:29 am 

Typically it's a less important duplicate organ like a kidney for one of the smaller clubs shirts. For bigger clubs like Manchester United or Chelsea you're looking at anywhere from your first born child to your soul.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:31 am 

Forgotten Son wrote:
Hang wrote:
I can assure you that Australia heavily dislikes Italian football - not Grosso. I'd be very surprised if the majority of the Australian public would even recognise the name Fabio Grosso.

like what? we do have high expectations of our athletes for example, because we compete so well in most sports, per capita we would be the best sporting nation in the world.we dont tear our sportsmen's guts out like the english and other presses do to their athletes,also you may or may not know that most of our population don't live in the Simpson desert, we live in a beautiful temperate climate mainly on the eastern seaboard, you should visit some day.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:39 am 

Forgotten Son wrote:
Typically it's a less important duplicate organ like a kidney for one of the smaller clubs shirts. For bigger clubs like Manchester United or Chelsea you're looking at anywhere from your first born child to your soul.

You won't find any EPL shirt in Australia for less than $150. After browsing online for 10 minutes I can see that shirts are almost always half that if you buy from anywhere else. God-damn ridiculous for someone who is out of coke.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:45 am 

Hang wrote:
Forgotten Son wrote:

You won't find any EPL shirt in Australia for less than $150. After browsing online for 10 minutes I can see that shirts are almost always half that if you buy from anywhere else. God-damn ridiculous for someone who is out of coke.

even kids ELP shirts are ridiculously priced, my son asked me to buy him an Arsenal shirt and it was around $120-130.00 not much cheaper than the adults, its probably cheaper to order direct from the UK including shipping?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:24 am 

Hang wrote:
Forgotten Son wrote:

Bloody hell. I can get a personalised one from, say, Chelsea's own shop for about £45 and I thought that was pricey.

Quote:
like what? we do have high expectations of our athletes for example, because we compete so well in most sports, per capita we would be the best sporting nation in the world.we dont tear our sportsmen's guts out like the english and other presses do to their athletes,also you may or may not know that most of our population don't live in the Simpson desert, we live in a beautiful temperate climate mainly on the eastern seaboard, you should visit some day.

I would visit but for fear of being carried away by the herds of feral kangaroos that sweep across your desolate plains.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:40 am 

Forgotten Son wrote:
I would visit but for fear of being carried away by the herds of feral kangaroos that sweep across your desolate plains.

that is a risk of course, there's also deadly spiders, snakes, sharks, crocodiles, box jelly fish, bunyips, drop bears, yowie,
Yara-ma-yha-who, and Muldjewangk to contend with.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:57 am 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:27 pm 

what a great performance from athletico today. hopefully this gives falcao a boost, he is one of the best strikers in europe without a doubt and there is little to no talk about him

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215 ... 578  Next