DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: DDD's Greatest Rap/Hip-Hop Artists
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:57 am 

Chemical Ali wrote:
wait. is this going to be a collection of our attempts at an objective list or is it are subjective favorites? i think it should be the latter if it already isnt. Just confused cause ive seen post kinds of lists posted.

There are going to be two lists, one that DDD will argue over on greatness, and another that is purely 100% nothing but opinion and taste in a favorite's list. I counted yours as greatness I'm guessing. The favorites one is going up right now.

Post subject: Re: DDD's Greatest Rap/Hip-Hop Artists
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:08 am 

420 Bro wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:
wait. is this going to be a collection of our attempts at an objective list or is it are subjective favorites? i think it should be the latter if it already isnt. Just confused cause ive seen post kinds of lists posted.

There are going to be two lists, one that DDD will argue over on greatness, and another that is purely 100% nothing but opinion and taste in a favorite's list. I counted yours as greatness I'm guessing. The favorites one is going up right now.

unless grandmaster flash and the furious 5 are really your 3rd favorite rap artist..

Post subject: Re: DDD's Greatest and Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Artists
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:09 pm 

420 Bro

I'm in this thread cuz it's a free country. Message board/rap nerd tough guys are lame, dude. I'll give you my contact info if you wanna have a real conversation about it, though. Cuz I don't talk shit on message boards.

My list is on the website, what kind of sense would it make for me to post ANOTHER list?

We can handle our differences if you really want to go there. Watch how the hell you talk to people, tough guy.

Children should shut up when grown folks are talking.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:13 pm 

Is this coward 420 Bro REALLY taking this THIS seriously? Dictating who can and can't post on threads? Is this REALLY his life? It can't be. I refuse to believe that somebody is getting this worked up about something they don't get paid for.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:08 pm 

Oh boy, just go away!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:23 pm 

the thing is, the list is supposed to be all of DDD's opinion on who the greatest hip hop artists of all time are, not one prick's who thinks scarface is the 10th greatest rap artist of all time

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:28 pm 

Why the hostility? I thought this forum was for music fans to talk about music? U dudes act like I ass-f*cked ur Moms or something. I posted a list cuz we all used to post lists. That's what the point of this site was. One 'prick' posted a list and the rest of us 'pricks' critiqued/complained/praised whatever we saw. If you made a strong argument the list was updated. But this was five or six years ago--apparently u guys have a new approach now.

I'm a prick cuz I think Scarface is the tenth greatest hip hop artist? LMAO

I even gave reasons in the hopes that it would turn into a dialogue. But yall just act like ur feelings are hurt. It's all good.

I'll keep posting/contributing until Lew tells me not to. Cuz I enjoy it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:35 pm 

But help me understand something...

There are lists on here that haven't changed since Chris F. and I were updating them--i.e. the Greatest Alternative Hip Hop Artists list--which I did myself FIVE years ago. What have the rest of you been doing since then? Just looking at the same lists over and over without changing them? Then someone comes along and changes it and you go nuts? That makes no sense to me. Why are the lists JUST sitting there for YEARS unchanged?

If you guys have such strong opinions, why not pick a list to edit or create a new page to showcase your interests? I've been trying to have a dialogue about this and all u guys do is bitch like 13 year olds.

No disrespect to those of you who actually ARE 13 year olds.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:31 pm 

timewarne404 wrote:
the thing is, the list is supposed to be all of DDD's opinion on who the greatest hip hop artists of all time are, not one prick's who thinks scarface is the 10th greatest rap artist of all time

Umm, actually no, it is NOT supposed to be a consensus opinion. The editor is, and always has been, the one to define their list's criteria and set the rankings based on that. Posters however have always sought to usurp that power and make it into a voting booth.

Personally I don't agree with Scarface being in the Top Ten either, but would choose to argue it based on the criteria at hand, because that's the only way it would get changed, not make a personal attack on Todd for putting him there. You're not gonna win that battle and all it's going to do is drag down the discourse on the site which makes DDD a less desirable destination for everyone.

Ask him why he made that choice, give your own breakdown using the criteria of the artists around that range and be respectful for the job he did in getting rap the credit it deserved on this site in the first place and maybe you'll get somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:40 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

I agree, and yet, IM THE FUCKING EDITOR WITHOUT A FUCKING VOICE!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:41 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

stereowilliams wrote:
But help me understand something...

There are lists on here that haven't changed since Chris F. and I were updating them--i.e. the Greatest Alternative Hip Hop Artists list--which I did myself FIVE years ago. What have the rest of you been doing since then? Just looking at the same lists over and over without changing them? Then someone comes along and changes it and you go nuts? That makes no sense to me. Why are the lists JUST sitting there for YEARS unchanged?

If you guys have such strong opinions, why not pick a list to edit or create a new page to showcase your interests? I've been trying to have a dialogue about this and all u guys do is bitch like 13 year olds.

No disrespect to those of you who actually ARE 13 year olds.
I changed the list two years ago. You came back, spoke to lew, and turned it back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:19 pm 

You all realize that this has nothing to do with the DDD main page right? At least talking about the favorites list. Greatness I could give a shit about, I just wanted the community to start talking about it without being shot down instantly.

And stereowilliams, you're mature as fuck, man. I won't question you ever again. I mean it's not like you aren't the most open minded person ever, even when a dozen people are saying you're wrong you continue to 'civilly' discuss why you're the shit and we're all idiots. Why would anyone give a fuck what you have to say? Because you've 'been there'? I've got a song for you, it's called "Losing My Edge". Give it a listen and then end your life, because that's who you are.

This thread was not done to escape you exactly, but just to give posters some ability to voice an opinion without your long winded rants. You do know that BDP and Schooly D were around the same time as Run D.M.C., right? Hardcore hip hop didn't just magically change over night, they were only popular and had the influence to do it. But why should i bother arguing someone who thinks Scarface is the most influential southern rapper when Big Boi, Andre 3K, Pimp C, Bun B, and a shit load of other more worthy rappers with influence in the game that expands day by day? Because he got 5 mics? Probably, I get the sense you get all your answers from a rap magazine, despite what you say. All I've seen in your arguments is he has influence. Who has he influenced? I don't believe that you can even back it up if you tried. Those aren't even the biggest problems with the list, that's why I wanted to start over. For you to question the DDD knowledge because you 1) aren't aware of how much the posters here know about hip hop and 2) are so old that your head has already grown so far up your ass it came back out your neck again is so insulting that it was suffocating and frustrating. And that's why we're here. Deal with it, or better yet, go back to your list and perfect it and send it to VH1.

Last edited by 420 Bro on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:23 pm 

The main list may not be a consensus, but this one is. That's the whole fucking point of this thread. I don't see a problem with including stereowilliams list though as long as he takes the time to post it in here.

The reason this thread was created is because nobody likes stereowilliams's list and despite us presenting valid arguments about it all he said was "hey guys I knew guys who knew 2Pac." Nobody really gives a shit about having this list on the main site, so none of you higher ups need to feel threatened, and this is just our way to voice our opinions since none of feel like we were being listened to. If you don't like it, you need not participate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:42 pm 

I really want to make it clear this has nothing to do with the main page, so idk why stereowilliams is the one getting so upset. Unless he feels threatened.

And I never said you had to leave. i gave you the option to post a list of your favorite rappers or shut up. Don't put words in my mouth, old man. This thread isn't supposed to be contaminated with stupid arguments that have already been had. it was for a new perspective. If you're willing to engage and do that, then go for it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:30 pm 
My favorites

1. Beastie Boys
2. The Roots
3. De La Soul
4. A Tribe Called Quest
5. Missy Elliot
6. Outkast
7. Public Enemy
8. The Pharcyde
9. Aesop Rock
10. Cunninlynguists

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next