DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209 ... 452  Next
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:18 pm 

Forgotten Son wrote:
Phenomenal :eek:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:41 am 

Had a great laugh at some of the banners on display at Celtic Park yesterday, the result was quite enjoyable too :dance:
It's hard for me not to glorify in the demise of Rangers but I do concede it will be a disaster if they go into liquidation

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... mmons.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:15 pm 

So we're actually getting a decent title race for once. Nice change.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:29 am 

Fuck all! You're gonna win fuck all, you're gonna win fuck all, you're gonna win fuck all.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:36 am 

Fair play to Manchester City, on probably winning the league as they have played some fantastic football at times. As a football fan i may not agree with how they got to the top of the English game or the antics of some of there players most notably Carlos Tevez and Mario Balotelli but what can't be denied is they have being fantastic on the pitch.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:12 am 

I wouldn't put it past United to put 8 past Swansea.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:06 am 

just finished watching man city V Man U, I was glad City won, but Man U had about seven out with injury, i suppose city can lap up the glory for now. at the 76th min mark it looked like it was on between sir alex and mancini, it certainly would have provided some more entertainment.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:40 pm 

Mark85 wrote:
As a football fan i may not agree with how they got to the top of the English game

I think it's fucking marvellous how they've put the cat among the pigeons by splashing the cash. I'm sick of pious, holier than thou fans of already established big & rich clubs cocking a snook at clubs who seek a piece of the pie at the top table via the only realistic means possible. ie. being bought up by rich owners who write huge cheques. Nowt personal, but that's how I see it.

Last edited by Nick on Tue May 01, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:42 pm 

Hang wrote:

Nor would I, though I think the more likely path for United to retain the title is via City dropping points at Newcastle. A Newcastle side who have tremendous motivation of their own.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:41 pm 

Nick-ola wrote:
Mark85 wrote:
As a football fan i may not agree with how they got to the top of the English game

I think it's fucking marvellous how they've put the cat among the pigeons by splashing the cash. I'm sick of pious, holier than thou fans of already established big & rich clubs cocking a snook at clubs who seek a piece of the pie at the top table via the only realistic means possible. ie. being bought up by rich owners who write huge cheques. Nowt personal, but that's how I see it.

I suppose it is good for the league in general to have a new set of winners to stop the English league being like the Scottish League were only two clubs will ever have a chance of winning the league but i just don't like the way the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City have 'achieved' there success.

For me there is no real achievement in being £100's of Millions of pounds in debt, and having some Sugar Daddy buy you any player you want, whilst having no regards to balancing the books or promoting youngsters from the reserve team. In any other business the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City would be in Administration or be out of business if they had the level of debts those two clubs have. To me it makes a mockery of competitive sport, it is unfair to all the other teams when the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City have such an unfair advantage over everyone else in the game, also why should clubs look at running a business properly when they know they can be taken over by a rich Billionaire who will bail them out in there hour of need.

City and Chelsea have just being lucky and won the lottery in footballing terms, long gone are the days when littler clubs could compete with the bigger clubs for trophies, never again will we see the likes of Nottingham Forest win a couple of European cups unless they are taken over and that to me is sad, as while the rich get richer and more successful the poorer get poorer. The question that needs to be asked is would Chelsea of won there League titles and reached 2 European Cups without Abramovich's money. The answer is no. Also would Manchester City be challenging and probably winning League Titles without Mansour's money, again the answer is no.

People say the likes of Manchester United also bought there success, this may be true, but at least the money they spent was there own money earned through there own success on the pitch. However many titles the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea win they will never have the same meaning and value as the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool or any other club who have runned there clubs properly and achieved success through having a good business plan, by balancing the book and by being run by good talented managers and by running there clubs effectively. The likes of Chelsea and Manchester City are slowly killing football and it's competitive nature.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:46 pm 

Nick-ola wrote:
Hang wrote:

Nor would I, though I think the more likely path for United to retain the title is via City dropping points at Newcastle. A Newcastle side who have tremendous motivation of their own.

Agreed, providing they haven't lost confidence from the thrashing Wigan dealt them last weekend, as well as they're performance against Chelsea tomorrow evening.

Nick-ola wrote:

I concur wholeheartedly.

Mark85 wrote:
However many titles the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea win they will never have the same meaning and value as the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool or any other club who have runned there clubs properly and achieved success through having a good business plan, by balancing the book and by being run by good talented managers and by running there clubs effectively.

This years Champions League semi-final begs to differ with you.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:58 pm 

Mark85 wrote:
The likes of Chelsea and Manchester City are slowly killing football and it's competitive nature.

No, the Champions League cash cow was doing that. That's why there was a situation where only a privileged few had the means to win a domestic title for the last decade.

Mark85 wrote:
City and Chelsea have just being lucky and won the lottery in footballing terms, long gone are the days when littler clubs could compete with the bigger clubs for trophies, never again will we see the likes of Nottingham Forest win a couple of European cups unless they are taken over and that to me is sad, as while the rich get richer and more successful the poorer get poorer. The question that needs to be asked is would Chelsea of won there League titles and reached 2 European Cups without Abramovich's money. The answer is no. Also would Manchester City be challenging and probably winning League Titles without Mansour's money, again the answer is no.

You've identified that the gap in terms of wealth between the biggest and smallest clubs is now as large as it has ever been. I'm not sure what your point about Chelsea and City is though? You'd have them sit on their hands and continue to lead a humdrum existence in the middle of the Premier League table? Understandably they've got personal ambition and it's been facilitated by takeovers.

Mark85 wrote:
However many titles the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea win they will never have the same meaning and value as the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool or any other club who have runned there clubs properly and achieved success through having a good business plan, by balancing the book and by being run by good talented managers and by running there clubs effectively.

Yeah, try telling their fans that. Also the implication that Chelsea's title winning managers have not been talented is absurd. Ditto Roberto Mancini. I actually think he's working ahead of schedule. He's in his third full season and he's mounting a significant title challenge. The money has helped but you have to forge a team from that on a daily basis on the training ground. A lot of work and energy and no little skill goes into that.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:43 pm 

I'll take an 'unfair' Champions League final over 'honestly' finishing 11th every season, thank you very much!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:56 am 

Mark85 wrote:
Nick-ola wrote:
Mark85 wrote:

I suppose it is good for the league in general to have a new set of winners to stop the English league being like the Scottish League were only two clubs will ever have a chance of winning the league but i just don't like the way the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City have 'achieved' there success.

For me there is no real achievement in being £100's of Millions of pounds in debt, and having some Sugar Daddy buy you any player you want, whilst having no regards to balancing the books or promoting youngsters from the reserve team. In any other business the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City would be in Administration or be out of business if they had the level of debts those two clubs have. To me it makes a mockery of competitive sport, it is unfair to all the other teams when the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City have such an unfair advantage over everyone else in the game, also why should clubs look at running a business properly when they know they can be taken over by a rich Billionaire who will bail them out in there hour of need.

People say the likes of Manchester United also bought there success, this may be true, but at least the money they spent was there own money earned through there own success on the pitch. However many titles the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea win they will never have the same meaning and value as the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool or any other club who have runned there clubs properly and achieved success through having a good business plan, by balancing the book and by being run by good talented managers and by running there clubs effectively. The likes of Chelsea and Manchester City are slowly killing football and it's competitive nature.

this is an odd red herring of an argument, seeing the sport of football - at that stage - thrives within the capitalist framework of our economy and society(global economy), and richer clubs having an advantage over less richer clubs is not really a 21st century phenomenon. i think your view is a bit tunnel visioned - focusing on the results of the tables over the quality of the football played across the board. i am not in disagreement with your idea that money ruins football to an extent, because well, money ruins most things - but to imply football is dying or something is a disservice to every living soul that loves the game and plays the game for the sake of the game itself, and not the prize.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:54 pm 

on a related note, cisse's (newcastle) 2nd goal against chelsea is some black magic voodoo shit. what a fucking shot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209 ... 452  Next