DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Metal Bassists
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:19 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Ariel wrote:
This might shock you, but Jason's my favorite bassist.

As far as the broader point goes -- thrash having nothingness in terms of bass -- that's sadly true. I'd say it's, broadly, the case for metal in general, with the exception of progressive and technical metal subgenres. This irritates me to no end.

What heavier kinda bands do you like Neg (aside from Metallica and Priest)?

Heavier bands? If you mean like thrash metal, then Celtic Frost is about as heavy as I get...check out their album To Mega Therion, a deserved metal classic.

If you mean just 'metal' in general, then you need to get into Budgie and Diamond Head.

Need to check out Celtic Frost. Also need to check out Budgie and Diamond Head haha. But I meant something broader in my question, like, heavier music in general, ranging from say 60s style hard rock to 70s style hard rock to metal to bastard genres like nu metal and stuff, and 90s alternative metal/heavy grunge. Enlighten me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:19 pm 

Yngtchie: Yes. Lol. What do you think of Randy Coven, is he good? Should he make the main list? Cheers

EDIT: Also, my my I was impressed with Yngwie's own bass playing, MAN he's good, pains me to say this but he probably deserves a main list spot somewhere. What are some bass performances of his I should check out in specific?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:25 pm 

The little I've heard of Coven's playing has given me a positive impression, but I haven't really paid much attention to his playing. No doubt a talented chap.

Yngwie and recommended bass performances, hmmm... I guess checking out albums like Rising Force, Trilogy, The Seventh Sign, War to End All Wars, and the like, where he played all the bass parts, that would give you a good idea of his bass playing since you know he does all of it. He also does most of the bass for the Inspiration album, and on many other albums he plays bass on the majority of the songs.

A few songs showcasing his bass style:

What I like the most about his bass playing is that while his guitar playing is often overly flashy and in-your-face, his bass lines are usually very musical, and also more melodic than just plodding away at the root, third and fifth throughout the song. "Trilogy" is a nice example where the bass is very audible, and you can really hear how the bass works in conjunction with the guitar parts. It won't blow you away, but it serves the song and works as a nice contrast to the lead instruments.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:17 pm 

Flea´s work with The Mars Volta could be Metal????

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:32 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
If Mars Volta were a metal band then maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:52 pm 

If Tool, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Dream Theater and GnR are considered Metal, why Mars Volta is not?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:55 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Because Mars Volta's music can not really be considered metal at all. Pretty simple.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:45 pm 

Ariel wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Ariel wrote:

As far as the broader point goes -- thrash having nothingness in terms of bass -- that's sadly true. I'd say it's, broadly, the case for metal in general, with the exception of progressive and technical metal subgenres. This irritates me to no end.

Heavier bands? If you mean like thrash metal, then Celtic Frost is about as heavy as I get...check out their album To Mega Therion, a deserved metal classic.

If you mean just 'metal' in general, then you need to get into Budgie and Diamond Head.

Need to check out Celtic Frost. Also need to check out Budgie and Diamond Head haha. But I meant something broader in my question, like, heavier music in general, ranging from say 60s style hard rock to 70s style hard rock to metal to bastard genres like nu metal and stuff, and 90s alternative metal/heavy grunge. Enlighten me

The list would be way too long, lol. Basically I love ANY kind of heavy music from the 60's and 70's. And thrash metal is the heaviest I get (cannot stand the obnoxious death metal).

Btw, check the small topics thread in the drum forum, I actually posted a Celtic Frost link for you there, along with something else (or anyone else who wants to listen).

I look forward to hearing your response.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:47 pm 

Echoes wrote:
If Tool, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Dream Theater and GnR are considered Metal, why Mars Volta is not?

Tool is very questionable. Soundgarden is definitively not metal. AIC is VERY questionable. Dream Theater is metal, but not very. GnR is in no way metal. Mars Volta probably has the weakest case for being metal out of any of these, honestly.

Yngtchie your namesake Yngwie is an incredibly talented bassist, don't sell him short! Haven't checked your links out yet but will later for the purposes of assessing where he might end up on the main list (which will be done before this list). Thanks for posting em

Negative Creep wrote:
Ariel wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Ariel wrote:

The list would be way too long, lol. Basically I love ANY kind of heavy music from the 60's and 70's. And thrash metal is the heaviest I get (cannot stand the obnoxious death metal).

Btw, check the small topics thread in the drum forum, I actually posted a Celtic Frost link for you there, along with something else (or anyone else who wants to listen).

I look forward to hearing your response.

Nahhh wouldn't be too long. C'mon dude, fess up

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:55 pm 

Quote:
Tool is very questionable. Soundgarden is definitively not metal. AIC is VERY questionable. Dream Theater is metal, but not very. GnR is in no way metal. Mars Volta probably has the weakest case for being metal out of any of these, honestly.

Not really. Tool is absolutely accepted by the metal community, as is AIC for the most part. Soundgarden is considred amongst them, but sometimes it can be hard to see the connection. Dream Theater is totally metal; just cause they venture off every once in a while during songs doesn't change that. Agree on the other two.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:30 am 

Ariel wrote:

Okay, here is all the heavy stuff I have in my collection (which began when I was about 12)...

Alcatrazz, Alice In Chains, Anthrax, Atomic Rooster, Audioslave, Black Sabbath, Budgie, Captain Beyond, Alice Cooper, Cream (if you consider them "heavy"), Deep Purple, Diamond Head, Flyleaf, Guns 'N Roses, Helloween, High Tide (amazing heavy psych-prog from the late 60's), Humble Pie, Iron Butterfly, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Megadeth, Metallica, Mudhoney, Nazareth, Ours, Ted Nugent, Nirvana, Pain Of Salvation, Queensryche, Rainbow, Rush (the early stuff was heavy), Samson, Soundgarden, The Sword, UFO, Uriah Heep, The White Stripes, The Who.

And there's a shitload of others that I love but don't have material from....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:43 am 

Ariel wrote:

So you mean like hard rock type stuff? 'Cause you can just go to RYM and look up your own charts, like this one:
http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?pa ... countries=
which is for hard rock in general, including 60's/70's stuff. It's a bit more canonised, as the entire top half of the list is full of stuff like the Who, Led Zep, Black Sabbath et al but there's some good stuff that's a bit more obscure and some more recent stuff, including Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age, both of whom are killer bands.
If you want, here's the chart generator: http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart. You can create charts for individual years or entire decades for any genre/sub-genre you can imagine for all forms of releases like videos, EPs, comps, singles, bootlegs and albums. I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty to satisfy your requests.
Have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:29 pm 

Ariel wrote:
Yngtchie your namesake Yngwie is an incredibly talented bassist, don't sell him short! Haven't checked your links out yet but will later for the purposes of assessing where he might end up on the main list (which will be done before this list). Thanks for posting em

I'll take your word for it, as I'm really not great at recognizing good bass playing, I just know when I hear something that I like, and I like Yngwie's bass work. In a way, it does say a lot about him as a musician, since he knows when to lay back and just knock out some good bass with the drummer, rather than trying to compete with his own guitar playing, Sheehan-style.

Always did like the "Far Beyond the Sun" bass, too...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:59 pm 

Sherick wrote:
Quote:

Not really. Tool is absolutely accepted by the metal community, as is AIC for the most part. Soundgarden is considred amongst them, but sometimes it can be hard to see the connection. Dream Theater is totally metal; just cause they venture off every once in a while during songs doesn't change that. Agree on the other two.

The only one of those bands that is listed on metal-archives.com (online encyclopedia of metal, also probably the best metal website I've found) is DT. Tool is usually considered alt metal but they're so on the border you could argue they make it in as a legit metal band, they're really on the border there. AIC was originally marketed (Facelift era) as a metal band, but the consensus seems to be that was simply inaccurate, though they might be the definitive alt metal band (alt metal being one of those bastard genres like nu and glam and metalcore that isn't usually considered a subgenre of metal but a 'metallic' rock subgenre). Soundgarden is also alt metal, though closer to straight rock and further from metal than AIC. DT are metal I guess but the enormous amount of metal-less (and terrible) ballads ("Another Day", etc.) they have, coupled with their more or less consistent refusal (minus maybe the Train of Thought album) to stick within the metal sound compositionally and the fact that probably at least 50% of their songs are clearly not metal songs makes them kind of barely metal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:20 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Ariel wrote:

Okay, here is all the heavy stuff I have in my collection (which began when I was about 12)...

Alcatrazz, Alice In Chains, Anthrax, Atomic Rooster, Audioslave, Black Sabbath, Budgie, Captain Beyond, Alice Cooper, Cream (if you consider them "heavy"), Deep Purple, Diamond Head, Flyleaf, Guns 'N Roses, Helloween, High Tide (amazing heavy psych-prog from the late 60's), Humble Pie, Iron Butterfly, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Megadeth, Metallica, Mudhoney, Nazareth, Ours, Ted Nugent, Nirvana, Pain Of Salvation, Queensryche, Rainbow, Rush (the early stuff was heavy), Samson, Soundgarden, The Sword, UFO, Uriah Heep, The White Stripes, The Who.

And there's a shitload of others that I love but don't have material from....

Woot. Not familiar with a fair number of these. Alcatrazz, Flyleaf, High Tide, Humble Pie (heard of them but don't know their music at all), Mudhoney (same), Ours, Pain of Salvation (again, a famous band but I've never heard anything of them), Samson, The Sword (again, famous but I don't know them personally), Uriah Heep (same), UFO (same)...

White Stripes are NOT a heavy band lol. Cream definitely are a heavy band, even if they aren't heavy metal.

Good collection, very respectable. Metal bands I see (not that you asked, and not to sound like an ass): Anthrax, Sabbath, Budgie (maybe), Diamond Head, Helloween (!), Maiden, Priest, Megadeth, Metallica, Pain of Salvation (I think), Samson (I think?), The Sword (I think?). Good stuff

I've repeatedly been tempted to check out Audioslave but most of what I've heard frankly strikes me as mediocre and generic no offense. There's one really good song they did though that I know, don't remember the name (Shadows of the Sun or something?). Need to check out the Coop, AIC, Purple, Diamond Head, Helloween, Rainbow, Soundgarden.

The missing link in your collection: SLAYER

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next