DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:43 am 

Okay,
Can someone recommend some noteworthy performances from Purdie, Porcaro, and Earl Palmer?
I really don't know much about these three at all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:56 am 

Porcaro's drumming in songs is mostly just groove based, for example, Rosanna, certainly one of the best drum beats ever possible.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:11 pm 

Hmmm...well it's good but I wouldn't say anywhere NEAR one of the best ever.
I'll have to look more extensively into him I guess, that was kind of underwhelming... :lol:

SIDE NOTE:
Les Binks was such a fantastic fucking drummer! It's a shame he didn't do more with Priest.
Dave Holland (his replacement) was good throughout the 80's material, but Binks was just a badass.
Shame he didn't do more with Priest. I'd take Les Binks over Travis Scott any damn day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:06 pm 

Does anyone else LOVE the sound of Lars' snare on And Justice For All?
So crisp and tight....fuck I love that sound.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:52 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Ariel wrote:
Carey's top 5 ever in creativity in rock IMO...with Bruford, Moon, maybe Beauford, and Lombardo

Also, C. Palmer >>> Lombardo.

Naw

Shoulda put Giles in that top 5 tho (it's a top 6 now haha)

Negative Creep wrote:
SIDE NOTE:
Les Binks was such a fantastic fucking drummer! It's a shame he didn't do more with Priest.
Dave Holland (his replacement) was good throughout the 80's material, but Binks was just a badass.
Shame he didn't do more with Priest. I'd take Les Binks over Travis Scott any damn day.

BINKS WAS SO FUCKING GOOD YES. You a Priest fan??? I LOVE them

And dude, Lars is HIGH in my top 10 (favorite drummers directory version of my list is outdated, but he'd still be in my top 5 probably even top 3). He's fucking brilliant, so f'n brilliant, in that 1988 to 1997 stretch (not counting the abortion that was the Black Album's drumming). Yay.

That's my favorite kind of snare sound too, I call it the "Bruford sound" (unsurprisingly eh?)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:48 am 

Quote:
Naw

Well it's close, Lombardo's Grip Inc. stuff is pretty creative. But Palmer was a genius, imo. After Baker, nobody had really explored jazz playing within rock to the extent Palmer did.

Quote:

Absolutely. PICTURES OF A CITY ftw!

Quote:

Am I a Priest fan? You might as well be asking Clash if he's a Who fan. :lol:
I used to piss off some people in the metal forum because Priest were like the only band I'd ever talk about. :lol:

Quote:
And dude, Lars is HIGH in my top 10 (favorite drummers directory version of my list is outdated, but he'd still be in my top 5 probably even top 3). He's fucking brilliant, so f'n brilliant, in that 1988 to 1997 stretch (not counting the abortion that was the Black Album's drumming). Yay.

You wouldn't count Master Of Puppets among his best work?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:42 pm 

Priest's '80s output would've been even better if Binks had stayed behind the kit. British Steel was dreadfully dull compared to what they did in the '70s, but they redeemed themselves with later releases. Still, Binks would have definitely upped the excitement a few notches.

While we're in the metal world, I recently started listening to Manowar beyond the earliest releases, gotten to The Triumph of Steel. Rhino sure did love his triggers... "Brrrrrrrr", goes the double bass drums.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:22 pm 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
Priest's '80s output would've been even better if Binks had stayed behind the kit. British Steel was dreadfully dull compared to what they did in the '70s, but they redeemed themselves with later releases. Still, Binks would have definitely upped the excitement a few notches.

Absolutely.
Dave Holland was great for that more "stripped down" style of the 80's, but yeah imagine Les playing that shit, he would've drastically improved it.

Exciter is usually the one everyone mentions for Binks, but I LOVE the classic fills on Beyond The Realms Of Death, not to mention all of White Heat, Red Hot.

If only he had done more!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:43 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Quote:
Naw

Well it's close, Lombardo's Grip Inc. stuff is pretty creative. But Palmer was a genius, imo. After Baker, nobody had really explored jazz playing within rock to the extent Palmer did.

Quote:

Absolutely. PICTURES OF A CITY ftw!

Quote:

Am I a Priest fan? You might as well be asking Clash if he's a Who fan. :lol:
I used to piss off some people in the metal forum because Priest were like the only band I'd ever talk about. :lol:

Quote:

You wouldn't count Master Of Puppets among his best work?

Definitely agree Palmer's a genius. Nice to meet another Priest fan :smile: (and you too Yngtchie!). No I don't think the MOP album is really that special drum wise, Lars went from good to whoa this dude is sick as fuck when AJFA came out imo (and remained amazing, other than the Black Album, until the late late 90s imo).

Manowar huh Yng? Are they good? I've heard they're actually great, all (easy) jokes aside

And while youre here Yngtchie, isn't that Glenn Tipton something else??? Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:54 pm 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwjd8V0uK8I&feature=related[/youtube]

what do you guys think of this ? not my type of music, but some thight playing imo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:39 pm 

I think this is the crowning achievement for both Lars and Kirk...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:13 am 

Negative Creep wrote:
Absolutely.
Dave Holland was great for that more "stripped down" style of the 80's, but yeah imagine Les playing that shit, he would've drastically improved it.

Exciter is usually the one everyone mentions for Binks, but I LOVE the classic fills on Beyond The Realms Of Death, not to mention all of White Heat, Red Hot.

If only he had done more!

Methinks Unleashed in the East was his crowning achievement with Priest.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:54 am 

Yeah me too. It's a shame he didn't do more.

Sometimes I really enjoy Holland's playing though, on tunes like Rapid Fire and Freewheel Burning.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:49 am 

Posting these for anyone who's interested in hearing killer metal drumming, but I think Ariel in particular will love these...

(this guy is just sick)

(pretty standard thrash drum beat, but Lars just makes it sound so explosive)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:49 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.

1:31-2:00
That limb independence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next