DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: 150 Greatest Rock Drummers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:37 am 

So I guess Aldridge is good where he is? I know he's also very influential in metal. I trust a lot of The Jew's placements on this list so unless anyone has complaints it sounds like he's fine for now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:42 am 

Negative Creep wrote:
Sherick wrote:
Aldridge was very creative with his double kick grooves, for which he would also have to get plenty of innovation points. Not so sure about originality, though I would have to guess he does well there too. I mean sure, Baker and Moon were using double bass before him, but nothing like "Hot n Nasty" or "Up" so far as I know. He was also pretty innovative when it comes to playing with his hands, though I don't think that contributed a terrible lot :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiWMerkLpwE

What...the...fuck? I've always liked BOR but I never knew Aldridge played for them. :eh:

Anyway, I take back my statement because THAT CLIP WAS WICKED.

I'd say he scores massively on creativity, originality and skill. He can't be given too high a score for innovation though, even if he did 'expand' on the technique after Baker and Moon introduced it in rock (imo that would fall more under creativity). But like I said, creativity, originality and skill are a given for this guy. Not sure about influence or stylistic versatility...
Was anyone using double bass that fast before 1973? The only one I can think of is Ian Paice on Fireaball, but even that isn't as fast or controlled as what Aldridge does here.

... as a note of trivia Paice borrowed one of Moon`s bass drums to put along side his for the recording of the tune Fireball ... both Purple and the Who were recording in the same studio at the time ....Take care

Jazz fusion time - Dustbins and Paicesetter ... you will not be disappointed ... Ian Paice (drums), Miller Anderson (guitar) and Colin Hodgkinson (bass)..... Take care

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:23 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Negative Creep wrote:
Sherick wrote:
Aldridge was very creative with his double kick grooves, for which he would also have to get plenty of innovation points. Not so sure about originality, though I would have to guess he does well there too. I mean sure, Baker and Moon were using double bass before him, but nothing like "Hot n Nasty" or "Up" so far as I know. He was also pretty innovative when it comes to playing with his hands, though I don't think that contributed a terrible lot :lol:

What...the...fuck? I've always liked BOR but I never knew Aldridge played for them. :eh:

I'd say he scores massively on creativity, originality and skill. He can't be given too high a score for innovation though, even if he did 'expand' on the technique after Baker and Moon introduced it in rock (imo that would fall more under creativity). But like I said, creativity, originality and skill are a given for this guy. Not sure about influence or stylistic versatility...
Was anyone using double bass that fast before 1973? The only one I can think of is Ian Paice on Fireaball, but even that isn't as fast or controlled as what Aldridge does here.

:cool:
He's massively influential in metal, and probably most hard rock as well. He basically came up with every double bass fill, from continuous sixteenths underneath hand fills, to triplet flans between hand rolls, to alternating rolls, to sporadic 32nds and some I don't even have names for. Metal guys like to point to Bonham and Peart and Ward, but it's actually Aldridge most of them are emulating.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:18 pm 

Sherick wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Sherick wrote:

:cool:
He's massively influential in metal, and probably most hard rock as well. He basically came up with every double bass fill, from continuous sixteenths underneath hand fills, to triplet flans between hand rolls, to alternating rolls, to sporadic 32nds and some I don't even have names for. Metal guys like to point to Bonham and Peart and Ward, but it's actually Aldridge most of them are emulating.

Would you argue then for Aldrigde to swap with Ward or is he fine where he is? I will look into him more but what you say sounds correct as far as I know.

I have to say though, I don't know anyone who was playing like this around 73: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGI_nh133U

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:29 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
I actually would. Aldridge beats him handily in innovation, creativity, originality and skill I believe. If Ward beats or ties him in influence its only because of the Sabbath factor.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:21 pm 

Honestly, Aldridge takes Ward in everything but influence.

Did Ward innovate anything of note? I dont think his style was all that original either, even though Sabbath were the first legitimate metal band.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:11 pm 

Sounds good to me, I'm perfectly fine completely flipping them actually. I could make a case for Mitchell beating Ward I guess....but for now I'll just flop Aldridge and Ward. I'm still pretty sure Copeland beats Aldridge though, but if you have reasons saying otherwise I'm glad to listen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:19 pm 

Gavin Harrison needs to move da fuck up honestly, he scores well in nearly all criteria except influence to an astounding degree, and is right now working on changing the world of drumming as a whole with his studies on moving through parallel meters.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:28 pm 

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
Sounds good to me, I'm perfectly fine completely flipping them actually. I could make a case for Mitchell beating Ward I guess....but for now I'll just flop Aldridge and Ward. I'm still pretty sure Copeland beats Aldridge though, but if you have reasons saying otherwise I'm glad to listen.

Mitchell/Ward is a toughie...
Influence - Ward
Originality - Tied
Creativity - Ward
Innovation - Tied (neither innovated anything I'm aware of)
Skill - Ward?
Stylistic versatility - Ward

Copeland/Aldridge is much tougher. I think they tie in everything except for skill, which goes to Aldridge.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:37 pm 

I don't know enough about Copeland to say, aside from his introduction of reggae and island beats into pop/rock.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:13 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:

Influence - Ward
Originality - Tied
Creativity - Ward
Skill - Ward?

Copeland/Aldridge is much tougher. I think they tie in everything except for skill, which goes to Aldridge.

Copeland is more skilled than Aldridge...Copeland can do mad jazz.

I'd give Mitchell creativity and probably skill, but that's all. So I guess Ward wins by Influence, unless Mitchell gets Stylistic Versatility, what says you guys? Then it would be Aldridge-Ward-Benjamin-Mitchell.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:49 pm 

gminer wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Sherick wrote:

... as a note of trivia Paice borrowed one of Moon`s bass drums to put along side his for the recording of the tune Fireball ... both Purple and the Who were recording in the same studio at the time ....Take care

Jazz fusion time - Dustbins and Paicesetter ... you will not be disappointed ... Ian Paice (drums), Miller Anderson (guitar) and Colin Hodgkinson (bass)..... Take care

Those were fanstastic!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:32 am 

Negative Creep wrote:

Influence - Ward
Originality - Tied
Creativity - Ward
Skill - Ward?

Copeland is more skilled than Aldridge...Copeland can do mad jazz.

I'd give Mitchell creativity and probably skill, but that's all. So I guess Ward wins by Influence, unless Mitchell gets Stylistic Versatility, what says you guys? Then it would be Aldridge-Ward-Benjamin-Mitchell.

I actually think it should go Aldridge-Benjamin-Ward-Mitchell.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:01 pm 

that's fine by me too

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:12 pm 

I have to say though, I don't know anyone who was playing like this around 73: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGI_nh133U

That was just....not of this earth.
Jesus H. Christ.

I would agree, I don't know if anyone else was playing like that at the time. The playing with the hands at the end was brilliant, he took that idea way farther than Bonham did.

GOD DAMN.
Sherick, what would we do without you?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 135  Next