It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Songwriters Hall of Fame
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:43 am 

The Songwriters Hall of Fame

http://www.songhall.org/

http://songwritershalloffame.org/

You can vote on who gets inducted into The Songwriters Hall Of Fame every year. If you are not a member of the music industry, you only qualify for Lifetime Membership, which will cost you $1000.00. You will receive the ballot in your mailbox every year and you can attend the ceremonies. Here is the application to become a member:

The New Way http://www.songhall.org/join

The Old Way http://www.songhall.org/forms/shof_membership.pdf

Here is the complete list of inductees (1969-Present)

http://www.songwritershalloffame.org/exhibits/era

Here is an example of the nominees page

http://songhall.org/vote

ARTISTS WHO WERE INDUCTED INTO THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME AND THE SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME IN THE SAME YEAR:

01. 1986 - Chuck Berry
02. 1997 - Joni Mitchell
03. 1999 - Bruce Springsteen
04. 2000 - James Taylor
05. 2010 - Jesse Stone
06. 2011 - Leon Russell

Last edited by Taupin-Cetera on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Songwriters Hall of Fame
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:41 pm 

Nominees for The 2012 Songwriters Hall of Fame

http://songhall.org/news/entry/1281

No one that's nominated for the 2012 Rock Hall is on this list:

Non-Performer Songwriters

Don Covay * Jerry Fuller * Graham Gouldman * Tony Hatch * Sandy Linzer/Denny Randell * Tony Macaulay * Chips Moman * Artie Resnick/Kenny Young * Don Schlitz * P.F. Sloan/Steve Barri * Jim Steinman * Paul Vance/Lee Pockriss

Performer/Songwriters

Elvis Costello * Dion DiMucci * Deborah Harry/Chris Stein * Cat Stevens * Annie Lennox/Dave Stewart * Gordon Lightfoot * George Michael * Steve Miller * Lou Reed * Bob Seger * Pete Townshend * Tom Waits

3 ARTISTS WILL BE CHOSEN FROM THE NON-PERFORMERS CATEGORY AND 2 ARTISTS WILL BE CHOSEN FROM THE PERFORMERS CATEGORY.

The Songwriters Hall of Fame inducts posthumous artists the same way the Rock Hall inducts non-performers, sidemen, and early influence. You won't know who will be inducted until the announcement is made.

2010 was the last year the Songwriters Hall of Fame inducted posthumous artists, which included Laura Nyro and Jesse Stone. Bert Berns and Jerry Ragovoy have been nominated numerous times in the past few years. Now they are both dead; Jerry Ragovoy died this year. I predict Bert Berns and Jerry Ragovoy will be inducted into both the Rock Hall and the Song Hall in 2012. They will join that short list of artists who were inducted into the Rock Hall and the Song Hall in the same year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

I'm surprised Costello isn't already in.

Gouldman was a member of 10cc. I guess they count him as a non-performer because he was for part of his career, but I still think he should be considered a performer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:50 am 

2012 Songwriters Hall of Fame Nominees

Photos and bios now added - http://songhall.org/vote

Non-Performer Songwriters

Don Covay – * Sookie, Sookie * Mercy, Mercy * Tonight’s The Night * Chain Of Fools * Seesaw

Jerry Fuller –* Travelin’ Man * Young World * Young Girl * Lady Willpower * Show And Tell

Graham Gouldman – * Bus Stop * I’m Not In Love * For Your Love * The Things We Do For Love * No Milk Today

Tony Hatch - * Downtown * Don’t Sleep In The Subway * I Know A Place * My Love * Sign Of The Times

Sandy Linzer/Denny Randell - * A Lover’s Concerto * Workin’ My Way Back To You * Let ‘s Hang On To What We’ve Got * Native New Yorker * Opus 17 (Don’t Worry ‘bout Me)

Tony Macaulay – * Baby Now That I’ve Found You * Build Me Up Buttercup * Don’t Give Up On Us * Last Night I Couldn’t Get To Sleep At All * Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)

Chips Moman – * Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song * At The Dark End Of The Street * Do Right Woman, Do Right Man * Lukenbach, Texas * Wurlitzer Prize

Artie Resnick/Kenny Young – * Under The Boardwalk * I’ve Got Sand In My Shoes * One Kiss For Old Time’s Sake * Good Lovin’ * Just A Little Bit Better

Don Schlitz – * The Gambler * Forever And Ever, Amen * When You Say Nothing At All * He Thinks He’ll keep Her * On The Other Hand

P.F. Sloan/Steve Barri -* Secret Agent Man * Eve Of Destruction * Where Were You When I Needed You * You Baby (Nobody but You) * Can I Get to Know You Better

Jim Steinman - * I’d Do Anything For Love But I Won’t Do That * Making Love Out Of Nothing At All * Paradise By The Dashboard Light * Total Eclipse Of The Heart * Two Out Of Three Ain’t Bad

Paul Vance/Lee Pockriss - * Catch A Falling Star * Dommage Dommage * Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini * Playground In My Mind * She Lets Her Hair Down (Early In The Morning)

Performer/Songwriters

Elvis Costello – * Accidents Will Happen * Alison * Veronica * Pump It Up * Watching The Detectives

Dion DiMucci – * Born To Cry * Donna The Prima Donna * King Of The New York Streets * Love Came To Me * Runaround Sue

Deborah Harry/Chris Stein (Blondie) – *Dreaming * Heart Of Glass * In The Flesh * Rapture * One Way Or Another

Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens) - * Moonshadow * Morning Has Broken * Peace Train * The First Cut Is The Deepest * Wild World

Annie Lennox/Dave Stewart – * Here Comes The Rain Again, * Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) * Would I Lie To You * Missionary Man * Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves

Gordon Lightfoot – * Carefree Highway * Early Morning Rain * If You Could Read My Mind * Sundown
* Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald

George Michael – * Careless Whisper * Faith * Father Figure * I Want Your Sex * Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go

Steve Miller – * Abracadabra * Fly Like An Eagle * Living In The USA * Take The Money And Run * The Joker

Lou Reed - * Dirty Boulevard * Heroin * Rock & Roll * Sweet Jane * Walk On The Wild Side

Bob Seger - * Like A Rock * Night Moves * Rock & Roll Never Forgets * Still The Same * We’ve Got Tonight

Pete Townshend – * I Can See For Miles * Magic Bus * My Generation * See Me, Touch Me, Feel Me * Won’t Get Fooled Again

Tom Waits –* Ol’ 55 * Jersey Girl * (Looking For) The Heart Of Saturday Night * Innocent When You Dream * Downtown Train

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, not only Gouldman, but also Covay was a performer some of the time. He was an influential vocalist.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:45 pm 

How in the world is Pete Townshend not in the Songwriters' Hall Of Fame? Are they just trying to piss Clash off? :smile:

Townshend and Costello are so clearly deserving that they really ought to be locks. I don't know enough about the Hall's voting process to know whether they ARE locks, but they should be. Not that some of the other nominees aren't worthy, because many are--just not as worthy as these two.

It's harder with the non-performers, but I'd definitely vote for Covay and Sloan/Barri. I could see my third vote going to Hatch, Gouldman, or MacCaulay.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:42 pm 

Their bio of Pete leads off with "Pete Townshend, of course..."

They could have ended it there. Long overdue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:29 pm 

Marvin Tarplin qualifies for the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Smokey Robinson was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1990. There's a chance that Marv Tarplin could be inducted into both the Rock Hall and the Song Hall in the same year, if The Miracles are inducted in the Musical Excellence category in 2012 and Marv Tarplin is announced as a posthumous inductee for the 2012 Song Hall. The Rock Hall might even induct The Miracles in the Musical Excellence category, but induct Marv Tarplin separately in the sideman category. Oh wait, what am I saying, that's the same category now!! I really hope though that when the inductees for the 2012 Rock Hall are announced, we won't also be told that The Miracles are being inducted in the Musical Excellence category. I really hope all my emails to all the members of the nominating committee at the Rock Hall helps to stop that from happening and that the Rock Hall does the right thing and nominates all 7 Miracles in the main performers category in the future. So what if they have to induct Smokey Robinson a second time. The Hollywood Walk of Fame did!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:27 am 

The 2012 Songwriters Hall of Fame inductees will be announced in late February.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:34 pm 

The 2012 Songwriters Hall Of Fame

http://www.songhall.org/news/entry/1328

Bob Seger
Gordon Lightfoot
Jim Steinman
Don Schlitz
Harvey Schmidt
Tom Jones

News

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Songwriters Hall of Fame Announces 2012 Inductees

Gordon Lightfoot, Bob Seger, Don Schlitz, Harvey Schmidt & Tom Jones and Jim Steinman to be Inducted June 14th in NYC

New York, NY – February 21, 2012 – Musical geniuses Gordon Lightfoot, Bob Seger, Don Schlitz, Harvey Schmidt & Tom Jones and Jim Steinman will become the newest members of the Songwriters Hall of Fame at the organization’s 43rd Annual Induction and Awards Dinner. The star-studded event is slated for Thursday, June 14th at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York City. Additional special award honorees will be announced soon.

“Each of our 2012 inductees has created a unique range of extraordinary contributions, a body of work that has resonated with audiences around the world, and greatly enriched our global culture,” said SHOF Chairman Jimmy Webb. “We are looking forward to celebrating their craft and careers at our Annual Awards Gala.”

Established in 1969, the Songwriters Hall of Fame (SHOF) serves as a vital bridge between music’s past and future. In the Hall, musical pioneers are enshrined and celebrated, while the organization’s music community outreach grooms the next generation of troubadours.

Gordon Lightfoot:

Performing songwriter Gordon Lightfoot is credited for helping to define the folk-pop sound of the 1960s and 1970s. He is the author and voice of many timeless songs including: “Early Morning Rain,” “Canadian Railroad Trilogy,” “Sundown,” “If You Could Read My Mind,” “Carefree Highway,” “The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald,” “Beautiful,” “Ribbon Of Darkness,” “Rainy Day People,” “That’s What You Get For Lovin’ Me,” “Did She Mention My Name,” “I’m Not Sayin’ That I Love You,” “Race Among The Ruins,” “Softly,” “Song For A Winter’s Night,” and “Summer Side Of Life.” Many of Lightfoot’s albums have achieved gold and multi-platinum status internationally and his songs have been recorded by some of the world’s most renowned artists including Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Sarah McLachlan, Barbra Streisand, Peter Paul & Mary, Harry Belafonte, Jane’s Addiction, Richie Havens, Glen Campbell, Toby Keith, Anne Murray, Nana Mouskouri and George Hamilton IV. He has received five Grammy® nominations and seventeen Juno Awards in his native Canada, and was inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame, among his many other distinctions. Lightfoot is slated to release his first record since 1994 in the spring of 2012.

Bob Seger:

Performing songwriter Bob Seger is universally acknowledged by fans and musicians as one of the defining voices of American music. Some of the classic songs he has penned include, “Against The Wind,“ “Turn The Page,” “Night Moves,” “Hollywood Nights,” “Rock And Roll Never Forgets,” “Katmandu,” “Mainstreet,” “Still The Same,” “We’ve Got Tonight,” “The Fire Down Below,” “Like A Rock,” and “Beautiful Loser,” to name a few. His songs have been recorded by artists such as Metallica, Kid Rock, Tina Turner, Bette Midler, Rod Stewart, Cher, Johnny Hallyday, Martina McBride, Waylon Jennings, Dottie West, The Pointer Sisters, Barry Manilow, Brooks & Dunn, Conway Twitty and Keb’ Mo’. Seger and his Silver Bullet Band have sold more than 51 million records worldwide, with twelve platinum and seven multi-platinum RIAA-certified album sales awards. Seger holds the distinction for the #1 Catalog Album of the Decade (2000-2010) for his Greatest Hits, which has sold more than nine million copies in the U.S. to date, posting an unbroken 17-year streak on Billboard’s Top 200 Albums and Catalog Albums charts. In 1981 Seger won a Grammy® for his song “Against The Wind” in the Best Rock Performance by a Group or Duo category. In 2004 he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Don Schlitz:

Songwriter Don Schlitz’s first recorded song “The Gambler,” sung by Kenny Rogers, won him the 1978 Grammy® for Country Song of the Year. Randy Travis’ “Forever And Ever, Amen” earned him the same award in 1988. His songbook includes 24 #1 hits, with such country standards as: “On The Other Hand,” “I Feel Lucky,” “Houston Solution,” “One Promise Too Late,” “He Thinks He’ll Keep Her,” “40 Hour Week (For A Livin’),” “Rockin’ With The Rhythm Of The Rain,” “When You Say Nothing At All,” “Deeper Than The Holler,” “Learning To Live Again,” and “Strong Enough To Bend.” His songs have been sung by Reba McEntire, Garth Brooks, Keith Whitley, Alison Krauss, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Tanya Tucker, The Judds and many others. In 2001 he wrote the songs for the Broadway show The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. This four-time ASCAP Country Songwriter of the Year was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1993 and the North Carolina Music Hall of Fame in 2010. Schlitz has won three CMA Song of the Year Awards and two ACM Song of Year Awards. Schlitz received the ASCAP Creative Achievement Award in 2007, and in 2010 was honored with the Academy of Country Music’s Poet’s Award for Lifetime Achievement in Songwriting.

Harvey Schmidt & Tom Jones:

Composer Harvey Schmidt and lyricist Tom Jones are the legendary writing team best known for shaping the American musical landscape with their 1960 hit, The Fantasticks. The show, which was awarded Tony Honors for Excellence in Theatre in 1991, is the longest running musical in history. Its best known song “Try To Remember,” has been recorded by hundreds of artists over the decades including Ed Ames, Harry Belafonte, Barbra Streisand and Placido Domingo. “Soon It’s Gonna Rain” and “They Were You” are also among the musical’s most recognized songs, for which Schmidt composed and Jones crafted the lyrics. In 1963 they wrote the Broadway show 110 in the Shade, which earned the duo a Tony Award nomination for Best Composer and Lyricist. I DO! I DO!, their two-character Broadway musical followed in 1967, also earning them a Tony Award nomination for Best Composer and Lyricist. In 1998, the duo was inducted into the American Theatre Hall of Fame. Other awards and honors include an Obie Award, induction into the Broadway Hall of Fame, the ASCAP Richard Rodgers Award, and their “stars” added to the Off-Broadway Walk of Fame outside the Lucille Lortel Theatre in NYC.

Jim Steinman:

Jim Steinman began his writing career in theatre with Joseph Papp and the NY Shakespeare Festival in 1969 after Papp was stunned by Dream Engine, a sensational rock opera Steinman wrote and starred in at Amherst College. Steinman moved to recording in 1977 when he wrote every song on the legendary Bat Out of Hell album sung by Meat Loaf, selling 44 million copies. In 1993 Steinman wrote and produced Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell, which sold 26 million copies. Overall, Steinman’s repertoire has sold more than 190 million records. Top #1 songs include “Total Eclipse Of The Heart,” “Making Love Out Of Nothing At All,” “Paradise By The Dashboard Light,” “I’d Do Anything For Love But I Won’t Do That” and “Two Out Of Three Ain’t Bad.” His “It’s All Coming Back To Me Now” won the 1997 BMI Song Of The Year Award. The same year, he earned a Grammy® for Album Of The Year for his work as producer for Celine Dion’s Falling Into You. Moving back to theatre, Steinman wrote the music for Tanz Der Vampyr, now in its 16th year selling out in Europe. He is currently writing book, music and lyrics for the musical Bat Out Of Hell for Imminent Production and Nutcracked, a heavy metal version of The Nutcracker with lyrics set to a Tchaikovsky score. He also wrote the lyrics for the musical theater production Whistle Down the Wind, with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, as well as music for films such as Footloose, Streets of Fire, The Shadow and Mask of Zorro.

Posted by April Anderson [SHOF] on 02/21 at 08:04 AM
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:52 pm 

About

Songwriters Hall of Fame’s ongoing mission is to celebrate and honor the contributions of our great popular music songwriters who have written the soundtrack for our nation’s history, while developing new writing talent through workshops, showcases, scholarships and digital initiatives.

Board of Directors
Johnny Mercer,
Founding President 1969-1973

Sammy Cahn,
President Emeritus 1973-1993

Frank Sinatra,
Chairman Emeritus 1993-1998

Hal David,
Chairman Emeritus 2000-present

Jimmy Webb, Chairman
Ervin Drake, Vice Chairman
Linda Moran, President / CEO
Del R. Bryant, Senior Vice President
John A. LoFrumento, Senior Vice President
Linda Lorence Critelli, Secretary
Karen Sherry, Treasurer

Robbin Ahrold
Martin N. Bandier
Marilyn Bergman
Caroline Bienstock
Oscar Brand
Irving Burgie
Desmond Child
Jim Corwin
Hal David
Roger Faxon
Charles Feldman
Fletcher Foster
Albert Hammond
David M. Israelite
David Johnson

Michael Kerker
Evan Lamberg
Maxyne Lang
Irv Lichtman
Mary Jo Mennella
Frank Military
Ed Murphy
Frances W. Preston
Phil Ramone
Larry Richmond
Irwin Z. Robinson
John Titta
Paul Williams
Maury Yeston

http://www.songhall.org/about

The people you can send your emails to about who you think should be inducted into The Songwriters Hall Of Fame and why:

April Anderson - aanderson@songhall.org - Marketing and Communications Director at Songwriters Hall of Fame

Peter Bliss - pbliss@songhall.org - http://www.peterbliss.com/ - Professional Activities Coordinator for the Songwriters Hall Of Fame

The Songwriters Hall of Fame Forum http://www.songhall.org/forums

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:20 pm 

For the third time in the past six years, The Songwriters Hall of Fame is inducting artists that were not even mentioned as nominees in the press release. I sent them emails about it and they never respond and the media makes no reaction to it. I guess they have a section on the ballot for write-ins. I don't know. I can't wait to pay to become a voting member.

Irving Burgie (writer for Harry Belafonte) was inducted in 2007, Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora were inducted in 2009, and now Harvey Schmidt & Tom Jones are being inducted in 2012. None of them were mentioned in the press releases as nominees.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:12 pm 

Bette Midler To Receive Prestigious Sammy Cahn Lifetime Achievement Award

http://www.songhall.org/news/entry/bett ... ment_award

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:59 am 

Jimmy Webb to receive prestigious Ivor Novello Award

http://www.songhall.org/news/entry/shof ... ello_award

New York, NY – March 27, 2012 – The 2012 Towering Song Award will be presented to “Stand By Me,” written by Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller and Ben E. King, and King will receive the Towering Performance Award. Lance Freed will be awarded the prestigious Abe Olman Publisher Award at the 43rd Annual Induction and Awards Dinner slated for Thursday, June 14th at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York City, Songwriters Hall of Fame Chairman Jimmy Webb announced today.

http://www.songhall.org/news/entry/stan ... ance_freed

Peter Bliss no longer works for The Songwriters Hall of Fame.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:44 pm 

Stand By Me Named Towering Song, Ben E. King Towering Performance, Lance Freed Abe Olman Publisher

New York, NY – March 27, 2012 – The 2012 Towering Song Award will be presented to “Stand By Me,” written by Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller and Ben E. King, and King will receive the Towering Performance Award. Lance Freed will be awarded the prestigious Abe Olman Publisher Award at the 43rd Annual Induction and Awards Dinner slated for Thursday, June 14th at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York City, Songwriters Hall of Fame Chairman Jimmy Webb announced today.

http://www.songhall.org/news/entry/stan ... ance_freed