DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Casual Thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:47 pm 

rockvirtuoso wrote:
Yousha wrote:
is it sacrilege to think his latter albums in the 90s and 00s are better than Blow by Blow and Wired ?
from a pure guitar playing perspective that is the standard opinion. in bbb the other band members are on becks level, i personally rate it as the best druming album ive heard. the album as a whole is brillaint

i haven't heard this opinion before, but it definitely makes sense. i mean, listen to freeway jam and compare it to something like hot for teacher which is 12 on ddd's performance list but 10 years after FJ and van halen used a drum machine. (the snare comping on freeway jam aslo sets it apart).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:05 am 

rip earl scruggs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:34 am 

Turns out the club where most of Time Is the Enemy was recorded is just a few hundred meters from the Kempinski Hotel Bristol where I'm staying. Gonna head over there maybe later tonight, check out the site of one of my favourite guitar performances.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:30 am 

whats the best Shawn lane album to get? i listened to Powers of Ten, was slightly underwhelmed. But I hear his live playing(dont know which tracks, cause they're not mentioned) and often enough love them. So is he someone he improves in a live setting ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:39 pm 

I was never a huge fan of Powers of Ten, I feel the use of drum machines and samples diminish the quality of the music. If he had used a band instead of playing everything himself, it would've been quite a bit better. See Powers of Ten: Live! for proof of this.

Me, I'm very partial to his albums with Hellborg, the various bootlegs in particular. My favourites are the 1995 Nancy gig, the 1996 Quasimodo's gig, the 2002 Variety Playhouse gig, and various others, most featuring Jeff Sipe on drums.

And yeah, he was better live, sometimes improvising throughout entire gigs. He was never a top jazz improviser, playing seamless lines over changes, but he had a totally unique style that worked great with Hellborg and Sipe. They usually did their songs in the usual jazz tradition where the song consisted of a main melody 'head', followed by a long improvisatory section, then ending with the same melody. They did songs like "Stellar Rays"/"Time Is the Enemy", "Rag"/"Baraji", "Rice With the Angels", "Deep Umbra"/"Hell Is Other People", and a few other standards, and the improv was similar in nature from gig to gig, depending on the song. "Rice With the Angels" usually featured the wildest and fastest guitar playing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:59 pm 

Yousha wrote:
whats the best Shawn lane album to get? i listened to Powers of Ten, was slightly underwhelmed. But I hear his live playing(dont know which tracks, cause they're not mentioned) and often enough love them. So is he someone he improves in a live setting ?

I wouldn't say he 'improves' in a live setting, his playing on powers of ten is great imo its the cheesy keys and drum machine that kind of bring it down a notch (i still enjoy it though). His gigs with hellborg are where he really shines, this clip is one of the reasons im a huge fan of him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:18 pm 

I dunno how he picks with the pick angled like that. I've tried it a few times and I hate how the pick catches the strings on the upstroke.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:19 pm 

BlueTrain wrote:
this clip is one of the reasons im a huge fan of him.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBKnYrwIP0o
me too :biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:02 pm 

was hanging out with julian coryell a bit earlier... very cool guy... and yes, he also finds it funny how many people comment under his dad's youtube videos saying he sucks :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:21 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:29 am 

he's also a wonderful singer, songwriter, and guitarist... every bit as good as his dad, and probably better in many aspects...
(he also has the most beautiful manly forehead i've ever seen)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:01 pm 

what is a manly forehead?
also, anyone know of any good songs that have guitar and banjo in them? as a possible duet?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:10 pm 

dr frasier krane had a great one

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:49 pm 

ignatious wrote:
what is a manly forehead?
also, anyone know of any good songs that have guitar and banjo in them? as a possible duet?

... let me introduce you to Harry Manx .... Take care

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:12 am 

Found this excellent site that has an absolute ton of guitar books and magazines. They have a lot of the old guitar techniques magazines back when martin taylor, guthrie govan and eric roche did regular colums which are currently unavailable. They come with the audio too.

http://faststrings.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 62  Next