It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199 ... 576  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:17 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 5042
Location: http://thesportingview-kes.blogspot.com/
Mark85 wrote:
I think we have just seen the decisive moment in the championship race, the way City came back will give them confidence, if Essien hadn't of given away that penalty, City would of struggled to have won that match. I think that Man. Utd will struggle to win at Blackburn away as they have only won there twice in the last ten years and they will lose at the Ethiad stadium. I also feel Carlos Tevez may well be the decisive factor in this race, he will be like a new signing for City, even though i can't stand Tevez as he represents everything that is wrong with the modern footballer he is a fantastic player. I hope i'm wrong but i think City will win the title now.


Oh, hello Man United fan. Naturally I disagree. You're doing the old tactic every fan of his own team does. Bigging up the opposition.
City won't win at the Emirates. United won't drop another point away from the Emirates. The end.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:35 pm
Posts: 3085
i'll spam this here: http://www.youtube.com/user/FOOTBALLDOCTOR/videos

this has kept me a little too occupied for the past 2 hours while my wife's been away running errands...i've supposed to be packing up things around the house for the move and haven't really accomplished much :nono: :lol:

my new favorite youtube channel for sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:20 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:30 pm
Posts: 10990
Location: Nottingham, UK
Nick-ola wrote:
City won't win at the Emirates.


False.

Nick-ola wrote:
United won't drop another point away from the Emirates.


Probably true, sadly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:53 am
Posts: 7466
Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
The Seeker wrote:
am I the only one that thinks the Muamba think is a bit OTT ?

People have heart attacks all the time, my sister had one at 40 - its crap

I know its unusual for a professional athlete, but he hasnt died. Yet we are getting pages and pages in every daily paper every day, minutes of silence at games, players wearing 'Pray for Fabrice T-shirts' , hundreds of photos of players visiting in hospital all over the news. (Probably the same guys who kick the shit out of him on a weekly basis).

Theres probably more coverage than with Gary Speeds suicide.

6 young squaddies on their first tour of Afghanistan, all around 20 years end get blown to pieces and get a fraction of the coverage - just a bit wrong for me !!
it was OTT, but then that tends to happen with highly witnessed (30K live, millions on TV and coupled with the public concern of 100+ powerful peers) unexpected events (you are prepared in some ways for the death of a soldier). Labourers and truck drivers in the blistering UAE heat are all too often victims of heart attacks...few discuss or even ponder that when they fill their tank with petrol. You can get a heart attack at 18, labouring in the desert sun.

Plus, sports figures are heroes to some. It took me forever to gear up the courage to watch the film about Senna's deadly last crash.

I think the attention to Fabrice Muamba collapse was reasonable and to be expected.

Lionel Messi's message in support to Fabrice Muamba this week spoke volumes for the man. On the night the world greatest player became the leading scorer in Barcelona's history it was obvious that goals were not the only thing on his mind. By wearing a T-shirt with the message "Fabrice! We are Behind You" he showed he has the humility and class to match the talent of a genius.

***
oh and Gunners, yeah!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:19 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 5042
Location: http://thesportingview-kes.blogspot.com/
Forgotten Son wrote:
Nick-ola wrote:
City won't win at the Emirates.


False.

Nick-ola wrote:
United won't drop another point away from the Emirates.


Probably true, sadly.


I got confused here. I meant to say United won't drop another point away from the Etihad (City's ground). I stand by my first statement.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:21 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 5042
Location: http://thesportingview-kes.blogspot.com/
Krym wrote:
The Seeker wrote:
am I the only one that thinks the Muamba think is a bit OTT ?

People have heart attacks all the time, my sister had one at 40 - its crap

I know its unusual for a professional athlete, but he hasnt died. Yet we are getting pages and pages in every daily paper every day, minutes of silence at games, players wearing 'Pray for Fabrice T-shirts' , hundreds of photos of players visiting in hospital all over the news. (Probably the same guys who kick the shit out of him on a weekly basis).

Theres probably more coverage than with Gary Speeds suicide.

6 young squaddies on their first tour of Afghanistan, all around 20 years end get blown to pieces and get a fraction of the coverage - just a bit wrong for me !!
it was OTT, but then that tends to happen with highly witnessed (30K live, millions on TV and coupled with the public concern of 100+ powerful peers) unexpected events (you are prepared in some ways for the death of a soldier). Labourers and truck drivers in the blistering UAE heat are all too often victims of heart attacks...few discuss or even ponder that when they fill their tank with petrol. You can get a heart attack at 18, labouring in the desert sun.

Plus, sports figures are heroes to some. It took me forever to gear up the courage to watch the film about Senna's deadly last crash.

I think the attention to Fabrice Muamba collapse was reasonable and to be expected.

Lionel Messi's message in support to Fabrice Muamba this week spoke volumes for the man. On the night the world greatest player became the leading scorer in Barcelona's history it was obvious that goals were not the only thing on his mind. By wearing a T-shirt with the message "Fabrice! We are Behind You" he showed he has the humility and class to match the talent of a genius.


Yeah I agree with this. I can't believe you found the coverage surprising, Seeker, but Krym's more or less said what I was going to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:53 am
Posts: 1142
Well I may be a bit of a cynic, but jeez, you have Owen Coyle saying that selected players dont have to play if they dont want to etc etc.

Why should this be any different to any other business. Do I need to explain how much time people are given off work for deaths in immediate familes etc.

Compare with Thom Evans playing for Scotland at Rugby in 2010 - He had serious life threatening neck injuries, apparently his verterbrae injury was 1 mm from death - he's had surgery and has partially recovered, but has had to retire at 24. Compare the coverage.

I should rephrase and say that I am not surprised at the coevrage, but still think its massively over the top.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:11 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 5042
Location: http://thesportingview-kes.blogspot.com/
I do understand what you're saying, seeker, about the coverage.
Re Coyle, his stance is enlightened. It would be nice if there was still the latitude for people in managerial roles to play bereavements by ear in other businesses, i dunno perhaps they still do the smaller scale the business is. I'm not really sure I understand you taking umbrage with Coyle's position because people's hands are forced in other business/work environments.
As far as the Thom Evans comparison goes, again, I understand what you're saying, but football coverage dwarfs rugby coverage in general, why would it be any different when things get a bit more gruesome?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:57 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:37 pm
Posts: 9227
Nick-ola wrote:
Mark85 wrote:
I think we have just seen the decisive moment in the championship race, the way City came back will give them confidence, if Essien hadn't of given away that penalty, City would of struggled to have won that match. I think that Man. Utd will struggle to win at Blackburn away as they have only won there twice in the last ten years and they will lose at the Ethiad stadium. I also feel Carlos Tevez may well be the decisive factor in this race, he will be like a new signing for City, even though i can't stand Tevez as he represents everything that is wrong with the modern footballer he is a fantastic player. I hope i'm wrong but i think City will win the title now.


Oh, hello Man United fan. Naturally I disagree. You're doing the old tactic every fan of his own team does. Bigging up the opposition.
City won't win at the Emirates. United won't drop another point away from the Emirates. The end.


And you're doing the age old tactic of bigging up the chances of a team you dislike in order to jinx them :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:42 pm
Posts: 8128
Crouch :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:53 am
Posts: 7466
Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
Arsenal won today...in case anyone missed that. Some really sweet goals.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:08 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 5042
Location: http://thesportingview-kes.blogspot.com/
Georgi wrote:
Nick-ola wrote:
Mark85 wrote:
I think we have just seen the decisive moment in the championship race, the way City came back will give them confidence, if Essien hadn't of given away that penalty, City would of struggled to have won that match. I think that Man. Utd will struggle to win at Blackburn away as they have only won there twice in the last ten years and they will lose at the Ethiad stadium. I also feel Carlos Tevez may well be the decisive factor in this race, he will be like a new signing for City, even though i can't stand Tevez as he represents everything that is wrong with the modern footballer he is a fantastic player. I hope i'm wrong but i think City will win the title now.


Oh, hello Man United fan. Naturally I disagree. You're doing the old tactic every fan of his own team does. Bigging up the opposition.
City won't win at the Emirates. United won't drop another point away from the Emirates. The end.


And you're doing the age old tactic of bigging up the chances of a team you dislike in order to jinx them :wink:


Nope. I'm a realist, Georgi. Been there, seen United win from here time and again.
Though a jinx working for once would be nice of course :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:25 am
Posts: 51
For the first time this season i'm beginning to believe that Manchester United could actually win the league. I honestly believed that Man. City would win away at Stoke today, if Man.Utd can turn the goal difference around and win there next two games at Home to Fulham and Away to Blackburn it is United's title to lose. At the moment the goal difference could be crucial, but City's away form is poorer than i thought and with Away trips to Norwich, Arsenal and Newcastle they could yet drop more points, however saying that i wouldn't be surprised if they managed to win all those away games. Whatever happens it is going to be close.

Also well done Huddersfield on beating Charlton, if they can beat Charlton they can beat anyone, lets have one last push so we can get automatic promotion instead of going through the trials and tribulations of the play offs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:35 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 5042
Location: http://thesportingview-kes.blogspot.com/
:lol: not hedging your bets are you? :wink:

Good 0-0 at Whaddon Road today. Been at the Lane twice this week and a bit of League Two action to finish things off. Cheltenham clinging onto a playoff spot.
Good to see Saints marching on at home today.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:39 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:30 pm
Posts: 10990
Location: Nottingham, UK
Krym wrote:
Arsenal won today...in case anyone missed that. Some really sweet goals.


Indeed. Arteta's was particularly fine. Didn't make up for the turgid draw at Stanford Bridge though.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199 ... 576  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page