DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martial Arts.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:50 pm 

George wrote:
come on... shogun's coming off of only one loss, and you can't compare his loss and rampage's.

I forgot about the forrest fight and i agree that shogun is higher on the pecking order than rampage but i still think its a good fight to make as both of them have expressed interest in it and it should very exciting. I think rampage has a shot given how well hendo did against shogun until hendo gassed, the main issue for rampage will be the leg kicks i think which is one of his biggest weaknesses.

Quote:
anyway i think i'm starting to have mma withdrawals... realized yesterday i had never actually watched fedor vs big nog III, so i watched it... what a pair of studs... and what a pleasure to see them in their prime... fedor was bouncing around like a lightweight (and i think big nog said that fedor is by far the quickest heavyweight he'd ever fought)... i don't know how their careers would've been different had fedor and mirko cut weight and fought guys their own size... i don't think they'd lose their quickness advantage, but would gain a lot in terms of power advantage.

One thing that is shown in that fedor/nog fight is how absurdly strong fedor was, a lot of the takedowns he uses are based purely on his strength. I also noticed that in the first fight between the two of them, when nog had top position fedor just powered his way out from the bottom and got on top. I think thats why he sometimes had trouble taking down the true heavyweight goliaths like hong man choi and mark hunt (who was like 280-300 at that time i think), choi doesn't have great takedown defence at all but he managed to land on top of fedor because fedor tried to muscle him to the ground instead of attack the legs. Also could be why he couldn't get off the bottom against bigfoot, its hard to power out from the bottom against someone who outweighs you by such a large margin. I could be wrong but that's what it seems like to me. I think at light heavyweight fedor wouldn't have the same speed advantage he had at heavweight but his power and strength would translate real well, unfortunately fedor is too old school for that weight cutting crap :p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:38 pm 

you may be right... i'm not sure... but if you are, it is surprising that he uses brute strength instead of technique - and he has world-class judo technique.
let's not talk about the bigfoot fight or his other two losses because he was totally brainless in those. nothing he did was right.

as for shogun vs rampage... rampage is a legend but i think he is done (he seems to have completely stopped evolving a few years ago, anyway)... whereas shogun has a few more quality years left (assuming his knees hold up)... i expect shogun to find a way to win this and will be rooting for him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:19 pm 

George wrote:
you may be right... i'm not sure... but if you are, it is surprising that he uses brute strength instead of technique - and he has world-class judo technique.
let's not talk about the bigfoot fight or his other two losses because he was totally brainless in those. nothing he did was right.

as for shogun vs rampage... rampage is a legend but i think he is done (he seems to have completely stopped evolving a few years ago, anyway)... whereas shogun has a few more quality years left (assuming his knees hold up)... i expect shogun to find a way to win this and will be rooting for him.

Shogun vs. Rampage is off. Rampage is having double knee surgery.
I'd like to see Shogun vs. Minotauro.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:50 am 

George wrote:

i re-read what i wrote and im thinking its mostly crap. what i should say is that fedor's throws are very dependent on strength and balance and it's difficult to pull those off against heavier and stronger guys.

speaking of fedor and rampage, i was watching the pride 25 card again which had fedor/nog 1 as the main event (one of the best pride events in my opinion) and i came across this classic moment

found it funny that a similar brawl happened in strikeforce and everyone called it a disgrace and what not yet when it happened in pride quadros and bas are going nuts in the commentary booth :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:53 am 

aross wrote:

i'd love to see that too, the first fight was a classic. might be interesting too as shogun won the first fight on takedowns and top control. nowdays nogueira has much improved takedown defense.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:40 am 

BlueTrain wrote:
aross wrote:

i'd love to see that too, the first fight was a classic. might be interesting too as shogun won the first fight on takedowns and top control. nowdays nogueira has much improved takedown defense.

Latest I read something about a possible Minotauro and Franklin match. Franklin is from a few minutes where I live in Cincinnati, and he hasn't fought in forever. Do you think this would be a stand up fight mostly?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:43 am 

That was supposed to happen but nogueira pulled out with an injury, franklin was offered gustafsson but turned it down, rich injured himself after that so im not sure whats next for him. yeah im thinking franklin/lil nog would be a striking battle, both guys tend to keep it on the feet even though nog has great jiu jitsu he's sort of like anderson in that he only uses it if he's taken down. lil nog was supposed to be fighting gustafsson himself at the upcoming card in sweden but he got injured again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:34 am 

So franklin vs cung le just got booked, which is cool. Franklin matches up a little better for cung as franklin stays on the outside a bit more which plays into cung's game, he could win it if he doesnt gas out too quick like he did against wand and scott smith.

Also, someone posted this old bj penn interview on another forum. BJ said he wanted to fight wanderlei silva! This was during his weird phase when he fought in nearly every weight class.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:02 am 

some nice relief from the ufc/strikeforce doldrums...

http://www.pancrase.org/patricky-freire ... 3-25-2012/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:26 pm 

The last bellator card was stellar all round, they are really delivering at the moment. On a similar note One FC is streaming their next event free on youtube, they have melvin manhoef, imanari, kawajiri among others fighting on the card. There is thai boxer with a very successful professional boxing record under his belt fighting on the prelims too, his last fight was an awesome display of stand up.

The premier of TUF Brazil is available to watch for free on the ufc website too, first ep is just fights.

Post subject: Re: happy april fool's and a merry 04-01-12
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:31 am 

OMFG... UFC FINALLY SIGNS FEDOR!!!!! :eek:

i've been waiting for this moment for so long, enough of all that drama... apparently M-1 got an offer they couldn't refuse, though details are still being kept from public... they've also yet to announce who will welcome him to the promotion, but shane carwin is rumored for a mid-summer card... actually i don't care whom he fights, i'm just so giddy... :-DDD

Post subject: Re: happy april fool's and a merry 04-01-12
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 am 

George wrote:
happy april fool's and a merry 04-01-12

I think fertitta was saying that they'd sign him if m1 offered a deal that didn't involve co promotion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:40 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:19 pm 

:lol:

what kind of a crappy door is that, anyway... i'd be angry too if i had doors like that where i lived/worked...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:56 pm 

overeem... :facepalm:
considering the crap he also pulled before the lesnar fight... the guy is almost certainly juicing...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 29  Next