It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Better two albums?
Fleet Foxes + Helplessness Blues 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
For Emma, Forever Ago + Bon Iver 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Bon Iver v Fleet Foxes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:51 am 

Had this discussion the other night, I say Fleet Foxes by quite a bit. Wondered what others thought. They have some similarities, folk-rock bands that had #1 p4k albums of the year, that wanta thinks are hella overrated.

Post subject: Re: Bon Iver v Fleet Foxes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:21 am 

wanta is legit because pitchfork apparently has woeful taste in popular folk music. gonna go fleet foxes for this one

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm 

I actually quite liked the last FLEET album and there are a few tracks off their debut I find pretty great (I fuckin shake in my skin during Meadowlark). The new one, tracks like the sublime "Montezuma" are fleet at their very best, expressing the yearning for nostalgia and better days and "Grown Ocean" is like their version of Rebellion (Lies) without sacrificing their aesthetic completely. The new one does not sound like an overly self-conscious attempt to purposely create something "perfect", but something that sounds like a band still trying to work things out, trying new things, finding the magic through trial and error.

Bon Iver, Bon Iver is the complete opposite. And tbh, I would be lying to say that the overpraise of Bon Iver right now doesn't factor in to my dislike of his music, as I don't think he is deserving of the accolades he has been given, particularly his new album being termed as a successful "jump" for a rising artist. The problem for me with the new one is that it's an album that seemed pretty predictable for what he would make if he ever got big. Not only that, I don't think his cabin dwellin aesthetic matches with the overblown production he chose to present it as, so it comes across sounding polished not just in its cleanliness, but it transforms any vulnerable strength his debut had into something more close to Enya. The album as a result is so sappy to the point where the so called emotional tracks like "Holocene" are only superficially pretty sounding, but hardly knick me in the gut like moments I felt from his past stuff. So I see the new one like the natural comedic tendency for someone to impersonate someone else by overexaggerating the person he's trying to impersonate, only this time it's Bon Iver doing that with Bon Iver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:28 pm 

One for Phil Collins.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:49 pm 

Fleet Foxes by a mile. Bon Iver is still a good artist, and a few of his songs are quite moving to me, but I think Fleet Foxes are just a much more realized band. Bon Iver is great on paper, but that concept doesn't come out all that well in his music.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:27 pm 

i like both quite a bit, but Fleet Foxes ftw.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:13 pm 

definitely Bon Iver, but both are fantastic. I'd still recommend seeing Fleet Foxes live to whoever gets the chance, especially a pleasant outdoor venue, because it really hits you how beautiful those harmonies are in person.

I actually think Bon Iver's 2nd album is more risky than people give it credit for. Not like that's a good reason to like the album, but I'm just sayin'. Everyone loved the "mopey guy in the woods by himself" / "just one guy and a guitar" Bon Iver, and then his next move was to work with Kanye, do a hella autotuned EP, and then make an over-the-top orchestral LP. In a weird way, solo folksy guitar stuff is now absolutely the safest music to make, and even though soft-rock may be en vogue for those in the know, we are no longer living in a time where Phil Collins-inspired pop is easily-digestible and inoffensive.

I still would agree that he's getting a little too much hype though. As great as I think the album is, he's not like the vanguard warrior indie Jesus that magazines say he is.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:51 pm 

fleet foxes by alot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:58 pm 

I like both Bon Iver albums better than the Fleet Foxes albums.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:13 pm 

This is pretty close, but For Emma is too good of an album to me to not vote Bon Iver.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:18 pm 

I was gonna vote, but then I fell asleep.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:44 pm 

BOOOM!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:18 pm 

i remember fleet foxes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:30 pm 

Fleet Foxes are amazing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:32 pm 

you know what, the Fleet Foxes deserve a vote for this: